Author Topic: Smart's offensive identity  (Read 6602 times)

Re: Smart's offensive identity
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He can shoot worth a [dang] right now but I like most everything else I've seen out of the kid already.
He can't shoot. This is disappointing.

I don't think we can keep Rondo, Smart, and Bradley, and pretend they can be a part of a functional guard rotation.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
He can shoot worth a [dang] right now but I like most everything else I've seen out of the kid already.

I don't think we can keep Rondo, Smart, and Bradley, and pretend they can be a part of a functional guard rotation.

Ha...definitely meant "can't" there. 

I think the only way they can keep that guard rotation is if they get a stud, offensive 3 along with some situational shooting guards off the bench.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I think the only way they can keep that guard rotation is if they get a stud, offensive 3 along with some situational shooting guards off the bench.
Funny part was I read "can't" and was replying affirmative.

Stud or no stud, it's not going to work. It's a simple numbers game, you want your best players to play the majority of the minutes -- which means that you have two out of this three will be on the court for the majority of the game. Which is going to be a disaster.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I disagree.  I think Avery is progressing in shooting and still not getting credit for it.  I personally think Smart will improve but he will still be streaky.

Of course we are going to want scoring from other positions (and we will need it even if our SG was a stud).  Rondo isn't going to be a big scorer and doubtful any center would be.

If we keep Olynyk and Sully I think that's nice scoring from the post and two posts who can space the floor.  That helps things a lot.  Already seen Avery making great cuts and getting found by them passing going to the rim.

Is it ideal?  No.  But the defense will be a huge strength and I think the offense will work.  Avery Bradley can shoot, even threes.  It's true.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Wait, hmm? Are you saying this because of Bradley's size or shooting? Are there people out there that still can't admit that Bradley is a good shooter?

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Wait, hmm? Are you saying this because of Bradley's size or shooting? Are there people out there that still can't admit that Bradley is a good shooter?

My suspicion is that he's saying that since there's no one between the three that is at their defensive bests guarding actual Shooting Guards.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

My suspicion is that he's saying that since there's no one between the three that is at their defensive bests guarding actual Shooting Guards.
since the preceding discussion was on shooting, my suspicion is that the suspicion is about suspect shooting, not defense. should that be the case, then the point on bradley stands, at least in part.

i dont mind bradley's shooting percentages, what i worry about his is ability to shoot when he is not open. in that case, i understand how having bradley, rondo, and smart might mean other teams could defend against our outside shooting without too much trouble.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I think it's too early to say this. Clearly Smart can play with AB and Rondo can play with AB. Can Rondo play with Smart? Well, we haven't seen it yet. They might make up for their poor shooting with their other strengths, especially if you can put 3 other shooters on the floor (is Sully's 3 legit?).

Also, we knew that Smart was a poor shooter; that much isn't disappointing. I think it's his volume of 3's relative to rim FGA & FTA that is disappointing.

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I just want to know why I can count on one hand the number of aggressive drives he's made to the basket in 4 games.  Makes no sense for him to spend so much more time bricking 3's than attacking the paint.

It's got to be coaching/rookie hesitance, because this is not the guy I watched at OK St. There he at least he paired each long-distance heave with a hard take to the rim.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Smart has deservedly drawn praise for his D this preseason. Offensively, he's threatening to be this year's Jared Sullinger. It doesn't bother me that he isn't shooting well: that I expected. What does bother me is the volume that he's shooting at. He is 3/16 from 3 in three games, including 1/7 vs the Raptors. More encouraging, he had 7 assists and shot 8 FT's vs the Raps; it is clear that his offensive calling card is driving to the paint and either dishing, scoring or drawing the foul. At this point, he should not be shooting 3's except at the end of the shot clock-- closer to 1 attempt per game than 5.

Smart can practice his 3's in practice. In games, he should practice rational shot selection.

It's pre-season.

It is practice.

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Smart has deservedly drawn praise for his D this preseason. Offensively, he's threatening to be this year's Jared Sullinger. It doesn't bother me that he isn't shooting well: that I expected. What does bother me is the volume that he's shooting at. He is 3/16 from 3 in three games, including 1/7 vs the Raptors. More encouraging, he had 7 assists and shot 8 FT's vs the Raps; it is clear that his offensive calling card is driving to the paint and either dishing, scoring or drawing the foul. At this point, he should not be shooting 3's except at the end of the shot clock-- closer to 1 attempt per game than 5.

Smart can practice his 3's in practice. In games, he should practice rational shot selection.

It's pre-season.

It is practice.
true, true. but the over reactions and rushes to judgement continue nonetheless.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hopefully he is going to improve his 3 pt shooting percentage. There were at times he took some quick ones where you went "what are you doing" but also at times "we really needed that".  Kind of like what PP used to do.  I guess we will have to live with it. His defense was great tonight.

The highlight for me was the play at the 2nd quarter where he attacked the basket against two guys, absorbed the contact and shot an acrobatic shot up for the and 1!

I been waiting for him do that all SL, Pre season long. Finally.  Vintage Dwade

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He is a young rookie first off.  Secondly we aren't looking for him to be the starting pg.  He's honestly third on depth chart when rondo comes back.
soooo that said he comes into the nba with top notch defense, better than tony allen or avery bradley's rookie years, i say that without hesitation much like watching rookie rondo play
Smarts defense is all nba level in his first season, so i'm not worried so much about his outside shot.  That said I would hope for some restraint from jacking the quick 3's which I thought he did a few games ago (toronto?).  Know your strengths!  I like that he has the confidence and I don't mind him shooting the 3's but move the ball for a better shot.  Like his handle as pg, vision and passing.  He is not rondo level for sure but a nice pickup.  I see him giving us quality minutes all season  and he seems like the sort of kid that isn't going to work to improve and wants to win.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
He's a bust and is completely redundant with Bradley. Yes Ainge, what this team needs is 3 undersized guards who cannot shoot! LOOOOOL

Seriously it's honestly hilarious, what a complete joke. I honestly cant believe he still has a job. The grace period from the miracle championship is over. Either this yer or the year after he'll be on the hot seat and hopefully fired.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:24 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I think Mike Gorman made a very good comparison for Smart's offensive game: Dennis Johnson. This kid, on both sides of the ball, is going to be a very special player. Not necessarily a player that is in the top 5 in the league for any category, but the kind of player that makes big plays and gets you wins one way or another.