Author Topic: I think instead of being called "off topic"  (Read 8275 times)

I think instead of being called "off topic"
« on: January 01, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
It should be called only things that moderators permit. I'm quite annoyed the Colorado achievement thread was locked for things that may be discussed. Quit living in the past seriously. Why can't a group of adults discuss a current event ? Don't be biased or hypocritical. If marijuana can't be discussed then alcohol, Advil any other substance shouldn't be allowed. Can someone explain to me what is so bad about discussing marijuana ? It is big news and deserves to be discussed. It's 2014 people try to keep up.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

Re: I think instead of being called "off topic"
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you don't like our rules, you're welcome to frequent a blog that is more in line with your views.  We're pretty clear about the topics we don't want discussed here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:56:45 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I dont care either way but I think the mods should lock the stoned nuggets player thread as well if they locked the colorado one.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:06:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I dont care either way but I think the mods should lock the stoned nuggets player thread as well if they locked the colorado one.

They're two distinct topics.

One deals with the legalization of drugs, which is specifically against our rules.

The other relates to an issue of player conduct.  We're a little more flexible with topics that are affecting NBA teams.  If you review the thread, the comments in that thread have stayed away from discussion of legalization or their own drug use.  Those comments that violated our rules were deleted.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

They're two distinct topics.

One deals with the legalization of drugs, which is specifically against our rules.

The other relates to an issue of player conduct.  We're a little more flexible with topics that are affecting NBA teams.  If you review the thread, the comments in that thread have stayed away from discussion of legalization or their own drug use.  Those comments that violated our rules were deleted.

Well, I personally never actually mentioned what specific topic was being discussed.

I'm not surprised that a 'preemptive strike' was issued, however, there's definitely some very draconian views held by the rules makers on this blog.  You can change laws, but people's minds are not so easily changed.

Small price to pay for an otherwise enjoyable place, I guess.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
We're not really trying to change minds, or advocating a position. Similarly, we're not ignoring reality. Rather, our rules are about maintaining respect, a "family friendly" atmosphere, and keeping the site consistent with Jeff's vision.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We're not really trying to change minds, or advocating a position. Similarly, we're not ignoring reality. Rather, our rules are about maintaining respect, a "family friendly" atmosphere, and keeping the site consistent with Jeff's vision.
While the "family friendly" label seems questionable with booze threads (so we are really just "Jeff's family" friendly), it is better to have rules that are laid out than to have a free for all. Booze damages a lot more families than the topic of that other thread does.

While I feel that Roy's 'stoner' comment shows that what guides the rules is partly the judgmental feelings of certain individuals, any rules will be guiding by something arbitrary. I feel Jeff and the moderators manage to keep the general vibe here good and we avoid the level of trolling we see many places. So while I might disagree with certain specifics of the policies, I can live with them.

Ultimately, so long as there aren't barriers to sports discussion, the other stuff is not that big a deal.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Be respectful is my golden rule.  It is both easy to understand and broad enough of a guideline to explain just about anything we do here.

Talking about recreational drugs - even legal ones, doesn't seem to be respectful to people who value the family friendly atmosphere here.

Are there grey lines all over the place?  Absolutely.  I'm sincerely sorry that we can't be 100% consistent and 100% fair at the same time since those two goals are often at odds with each other.

That said, I think this staff is one of the best anywhere and they do a hard, largely thankless job really, really well and I don't know where this forum would be without them.

Thanks for understanding.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
While the "family friendly" label seems questionable with booze threads (so we are really just "Jeff's family" friendly)

to be dead blunt honest, I'd have to say yes

my values are driving this and I have to stand in front of all of you (and my Lord) with all my faults and say this is how I chose to run  this site and I'm doing the best I can

thanks for understanding (or at least tolerating)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 04:40:27 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd actually like to give Jeff and the staff kudos for the job they do.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
It should be called only things that moderators permit. I'm quite annoyed the Colorado achievement thread was locked for things that may be discussed. Quit living in the past seriously. Why can't a group of adults discuss a current event ? Don't be biased or hypocritical. If marijuana can't be discussed then alcohol, Advil any other substance shouldn't be allowed. Can someone explain to me what is so bad about discussing marijuana ? It is big news and deserves to be discussed. It's 2014 people try to keep up.

interestingly enough, i think your very post answers your question.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 06:14:32 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
It's really only a matter of time until those threads will be allowed.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im kinda surprised the colorado thread was locked, as it is about a specific change in law and society there.  i think as long as it stayed on that topic, it could be kept open.  if it turned into "well weed should be legal in <insert location here>", then it should be locked due to the legalization of drugs rule here. 

this is coming from someone who is against legalization of marijuana, and voted that way.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
im kinda surprised the colorado thread was locked, as it is about a specific change in law and society there.  i think as long as it stayed on that topic, it could be kept open.  if it turned into "well weed should be legal in <insert location here>", then it should be locked due to the legalization of drugs rule here. 

this is coming from someone who is against legalization of marijuana, and voted that way.

People have plenty of avenues to discuss their feelings about legalization of MJ (a topic that is specifically off-limits under our rules), whether that be in Colorado or elsewhere.  It's just not a subject that is going to be discussed on here, because 1) it's against Jeff's vision of his site; and 2) those threads always devolve into a bunch of weed jokes.

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

People have plenty of avenues to discuss their feelings about legalization of MJ (a topic that is specifically off-limits under our rules), whether that be in Colorado or elsewhere.  It's just not a subject that is going to be discussed on here, because 1) it's against Jeff's vision of his site; and 2) those threads always devolve into a bunch of weed jokes.

i understand, from reading the posts in the thread.  was just giving my thoughts on the topic. its not a big deal to me, but thought i would give my two cents