Author Topic: All nba games likely played at Disney World in Orlando (current front runner)  (Read 8084 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The complaints I'm seeing seem to all share a common theme of not wanting the Lakers to get another title and fearing Boston doesn't have what it takes.

If the Celtics win banner 18 there will be no asterisk nor complaints.  Just more glory for a sports city that probably doesn't deserve any more than they have already been blessed with.

I gotta disagree strong. Look up what the nationals pitcher said about this. The reason I don’t want a rushed start is I think there is a chance any player (including Tatum or brown) getting life altering lung damage. We just aren’t there yet with what we know about the disease and I think there is no way it can be safe. I say this as someone that desperately misses b-ball.

I don't know, the chance of that is very, very low. Just look at the percentage of people in the 18-40 age range that got lung damage from covid-19 globally, pretty darn low. Did Smart, Gobert, D Mitchell get lung damage?

I think they have a higher chance of getting a torn ACL than they do lung damage.
it seems to be more complicated than this. after all, the medical staff, refs, coaches, arena workers, custodians, and all the other people needed to make this show go are involved...and i am fairly confident that a fair number of them are not "18-40 age range" and in the prime of physical health.

add to this that the players themselves have families, a number of whom may have underlying health conditions. and of course, the same goes for the families of all those listed above as well.

EDIT: i thought about this a bit more and following occurred to me. how many people on average will be exposed on each team. 15 players, maybe 1-2 more in reserve. at least 12-15 coaches, medical crew, trainers, etc.

so about 30 people will be involved in this season per team in terms of possible exposure.

what of their families? let's say the average person has 3 members to their family/friends. some will have fewer, some more. but's let's keep it simple and say 3 people will be touched/exposed by each of the 30 team-related people.

times 30 teams....

30 teams x 30 players/staff x 4 (player + families) = 3,600 people possibly exposed. now add this, will each of these people keep quarantine? i hope so , but i would not doubt at least a few do not. kids need schooling. young players go out and party, sight see, etc. etc.

i am not convinced this is a good and workable idea to bring the season back.

good points , TP....msot of the TV , media crews , announcers,  alot of fat over weight out of shape people that don't need covid 19 ,  neither do the police , medical people , doctors and such . 

I would not chance PREMOTING  playing before a vaccine is available ,   they have been warned ,   Silver stands to face laws suits , from lots of directions if people get sick and die .  You can bet families will be going after the NBA in a heart beat.

Being reckless with life is not a funny matter and life is more precious than a stupid basketball game.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The complaints I'm seeing seem to all share a common theme of not wanting the Lakers to get another title and fearing Boston doesn't have what it takes.

If the Celtics win banner 18 there will be no asterisk nor complaints.  Just more glory for a sports city that probably doesn't deserve any more than they have already been blessed with.

I gotta disagree strong. Look up what the nationals pitcher said about this. The reason I don’t want a rushed start is I think there is a chance any player (including Tatum or brown) getting life altering lung damage. We just aren’t there yet with what we know about the disease and I think there is no way it can be safe. I say this as someone that desperately misses b-ball.

I don't know, the chance of that is very, very low. Just look at the percentage of people in the 18-40 age range that got lung damage from covid-19 globally, pretty darn low. Did Smart, Gobert, D Mitchell get lung damage?

I think they have a higher chance of getting a torn ACL than they do lung damage.
it seems to be more complicated than this. after all, the medical staff, refs, coaches, arena workers, custodians, and all the other people needed to make this show go are involved...and i am fairly confident that a fair number of them are not "18-40 age range" and in the prime of physical health.

add to this that the players themselves have families, a number of whom may have underlying health conditions. and of course, the same goes for the families of all those listed above as well.

EDIT: i thought about this a bit more and following occurred to me. how many people on average will be exposed on each team. 15 players, maybe 1-2 more in reserve. at least 12-15 coaches, medical crew, trainers, etc.

so about 30 people will be involved in this season per team in terms of possible exposure.

what of their families? let's say the average person has 3 members to their family/friends. some will have fewer, some more. but's let's keep it simple and say 3 people will be touched/exposed by each of the 30 team-related people.

times 30 teams....

30 teams x 30 players/staff x 4 (player + families) = 3,600 people possibly exposed. now add this, will each of these people keep quarantine? i hope so , but i would not doubt at least a few do not. kids need schooling. young players go out and party, sight see, etc. etc.

Very good points for sure. I imagine the NBA is on top of things though, and arena workers, custodians, etc can easily carry out their tasks while maintaining social distancing and wearing masks and gloves.

It's the coaches and refs that I am worried about, and have been most worried about since the talks of resuming the season began. There's no way around it, they will be in close contact with all of the players through the competition, and many of them are old. They also cannot be replaced by younger staff the way you could theoretically do with arena workers.

I'm assuming the NBA will have strict pre-game testing protocols for this reason. The success or failure of this playoff format will be determined by how much or how little the games are impacted from players and coaches having to sit out due to testing positive.

If you lose a Lebron, Kawhi, Tatum or Giannis for 2 weeks, that changes everything.

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

times 30 teams....

Very good points for sure. I imagine the NBA is on top of things though, and arena workers, custodians, etc can easily carry out their tasks while maintaining social distancing and wearing masks and gloves.

It's the coaches and refs that I am worried about, and have been most worried about since the talks of resuming the season began. There's no way around it, they will be in close contact with all of the players through the competition, and many of them are old. They also cannot be replaced by younger staff the way you could theoretically do with arena workers.

I'm assuming the NBA will have strict pre-game testing protocols for this reason. The success or failure of this playoff format will be determined by how much or how little the games are impacted from players and coaches having to sit out due to testing positive.

If you lose a Lebron, Kawhi, Tatum or Giannis for 2 weeks, that changes everything.

I agree that would be big time.   Look at Utah, if it was playoffs they got sick could they have beaten anyone without Gobert and Mitchell?

I don't want anyone to get sick even if it not serious.  However, I  would be interested to see how the NBA handles it if a star player gets sick in the middle of a series.  Do they put everything on hold 2 weeks or treat it like an injury and play on. 

I don't know if they can make it though the playoffs and finials with no one getting sick.  The bubble idea is nice on paper all healthy people in the bubble no one gets sick, but they can't really lock the bubble down.  I get the private land and ability to limit access to the bubble, but players are going to go out.  There are a lot of really young guys with lots of money that want to have fun.   Bars and clubs will be open by the time they start to play games so players are going to have places to go.   And if not them what about the support personnel.   Someone is going to bring the virus into the bubble. 

I saw a thing that said said the player and everyone they were in contact with the day they test positive would be quarantined.  So a team dinner the night before is safe?  What if they just played a game the day before after testing negative and now the next day they are positive, what about all those players from both teams? What if Lebron fist bums McGee and pats him on the back while passing him in the hall then McGee tests positive latter that moning, is Lebron now out for 2 weeks?

I really think they should just cancel the season, have the draft on time, and do free agency on time.  Then hope to start the season on time, maybe even in the bubble.  People talk about an Asterix, if the lakers go up 0-2 in the finales, then loose AD and Lebron, then end up loosing 4-2, that will be an Asterix.  If they really need to televise some games, maybe look to test out summer league in the bubble to get a feel for how it will work.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

times 30 teams....

I agree that would be big time.   Look at Utah, if it was playoffs they got sick could they have beaten anyone without Gobert and Mitchell?

I don't want anyone to get sick even if it not serious.  However, I  would be interested to see how the NBA handles it if a star player gets sick in the middle of a series.  Do they put everything on hold 2 weeks or treat it like an injury and play on. 

I don't know if they can make it though the playoffs and finials with no one getting sick.  The bubble idea is nice on paper all healthy people in the bubble no one gets sick, but they can't really lock the bubble down.  I get the private land and ability to limit access to the bubble, but players are going to go out.  There are a lot of really young guys with lots of money that want to have fun.   Bars and clubs will be open by the time they start to play games so players are going to have places to go.   And if not them what about the support personnel.   Someone is going to bring the virus into the bubble. 

I saw a thing that said said the player and everyone they were in contact with the day they test positive would be quarantined.  So a team dinner the night before is safe?  What if they just played a game the day before after testing negative and now the next day they are positive, what about all those players from both teams? What if Lebron fist bums McGee and pats him on the back while passing him in the hall then McGee tests positive latter that moning, is Lebron now out for 2 weeks?

I really think they should just cancel the season, have the draft on time, and do free agency on time.  Then hope to start the season on time, maybe even in the bubble.  People talk about an Asterix, if the lakers go up 0-2 in the finales, then loose AD and Lebron, then end up loosing 4-2, that will be an Asterix.  If they really need to televise some games, maybe look to test out summer league in the bubble to get a feel for how it will work.

At least Smart was ahead of the curve, since he already recovered and has antibodies, he'll be good to go throughout the playoffs, that's all we need on our end  :D