Author Topic: I'm worried about Kyrie  (Read 11595 times)

Re: I'm worried about Kyrie
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2017, 02:59:35 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Sssessh so much pessimism.

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2017, 03:53:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
lol some hot takes here fresh out the oven.

Kyrie Irving is going to be an All Star and challenging John Wall and Steph Curry for the title of best point guard in the NBA soon enough after playing with Brad Stevens.

They've got 20 year old Brown, 19 year old Tatum, starting with Marcus Smart out there in their first home game on a back to back, against a team that's played together for a long time.

Kyrie Irving is going to be a 3 point machine this year.
Brad's already getting him more pass and shoot and hand off threes and he's going to become a monster from behind the line.

His D already looks way better than last year too.

We aren't winning a title this year guys, even with Hayward.

So chill out.

It was our first game at home after an emotional night, on a back to back, against an athletic solid young team who have all played a season together.

Patience my greenies.
Take a breath and think about all the improving Brown, Tatum, Rozier and Smart are going to make this season.
Think about how good we'll be when Morris returns to the starting PF spot with

Kyrie
Brown
Tatum
Morris
Horford

out there, with Smart and Rozier coming off the bench.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'm in the 'wait and see' mode. But I have to admit, I wonder how Irving will fit in this team.
His passing is meh, his iso are inappropriate (coming out of the blue with no reason at all), his defense is wasted energy for the moment.
I'm not forgiving on Irving. If Danny is right with the trade, Kyrie has to be at least running for mvp and carry the team. Anything less than that is a failure, specially with what Danny gave for him.
A star is a star, he should fit right in, in any team. Specially when you are supposed to be a top iso player. No excuses.

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:38 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I don't doubt in Kyrie at all. It was just one thing that mattered actualy - is he willing to let Stevens take him to a higher level. It seems he's in. All solved.

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2017, 06:51:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I chalk it up to the injury still being fresh in guys heads.   Some practice ought to help guys a bit.  Seeing stuff like that when your player can make you hesitant, especially if you have an injury history.

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
We had a shot at the end of the game against Cleveland to tie. This game bad emotion was in the air. Season is about growth and I saw it.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't doubt in Kyrie at all. It was just one thing that mattered actualy - is he willing to let Stevens take him to a higher level. It seems he's in. All solved.
He already looks all in on defence consistently. I think once the recency of the pretty awful injury dies down and Brad and the team adapt, we'll look better
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Can we not over react after 2 games and the loss of one of the best players on the team? It's going to take time and we have a LOT of young guys, I think Morris will help add some nice veteran leadership.

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think having another reliable scorer in Morris return will help open things up for him. 

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2017, 09:35:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
im a bit scared too. he threw up some shots that were questionable at best. seemed odd.  7 for 25 is a pretty bad home opener.  i was missing IT.

IT had those days as well, its just that since he played so many games with us you remember most games he played well rather than little he played bad. Plus he had AB to fall back on.
IT could usually at least get to the line a ton when his jumper wasn't falling. Kyrie brings nothing to this team when he's having a cold shooting night.

Yeah, I knew Kyrie didn't get to the line as much as IT, but I thought it was just because he was a little taller and so good around the basket that he was just able to get his shot off. I didn't realize it was because he was totally afraid of contact. I mean, he did have some really nice moves/lay-ups last night, but he really needed to keep doing that rather than bricking each and every shot from outside.

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
If we get through a few off days and our offense still looks like it did yesterday then I might worry a little. As of now, I'm not concerned. Kyrie was our only real source of offense for large chunks of the game, and the team was clearly out of sync. Kyrie didn't seem like he was unwilling to create for others, there just wasn't anybody to give the ball to last night.

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kyrie has always been a very streaky shooter.  I mean look at his playoffs last year.  Aside from the last 4 games against Boston, he was all over the map with his consistency shooting the ball. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
 ::) ::)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I chalk it up to the injury still being fresh in guys heads.   Some practice ought to help guys a bit.  Seeing stuff like that when your player can make you hesitant, especially if you have an injury history.

Yeah, practice, some rest, a bit of talking over.. Should be fine.

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So the team losses a 2nd (or 1st) biggest piece of their offense and are playing the next night filling in alot of those key minutes with 1st and 2nd years players, and we are expecting Kyrie to just cover the loss up?   

Let's get realistic expectations.   All the new players are learning a new playbook and the young players are also still learning the NBA.   

The beginning of the season is the "hold on to a 50% winning" while they learn and have the realistic goal of being a 50 win capable (if they played like this the whole season) level team.