Author Topic: Toughest US presidents and least tough ones  (Read 19540 times)

Re: Toughest US presidents and least tough ones
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Dickinson ran away, but was forced back to the line because Jackson was entitled to essentially a free shot now.  He crossed his arms over his heart to try and save his life.  But Jackson instead aimed carefully...and shot him in the crotch.  Dickinson died later from the injury, and Jackson lived 39 more years with the bullet lodged in his chest. 

The next time I shoot someone, I am definitely aiming for the crotch.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Gerald Ford: fought in ww2, football star, amateur boxer

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Jimmy Carter had my sympathy being for being brother to that white trash Billy Carter. Thats a TUFF life to live.

He also is a staunch believer in UFO's and that saves the day for him in my mind.   ;D

A macho stud he was not. 

I'm sure Obama wife can rule him in arm wrestling and day of the week.   

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Carter has been ballsy as a former president. Most of these guys just rake in money from speaking fees and corporate 'consulting', but Carter has stuck his neck out and written extensively about apartheid Israel, its fifth column lobby in the US, and the detrimental effect our subservience to the Lobby has had on our national interests, national security, and fiscal solvency.

Every president since would like to speak up, but dont have the balls or the patriotism.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Can someone clarify (and I'm not hating on your thread, eja, I'm just wondering) what "tough" means? Tough as in good? Do you have to be tough to be good no matter what your role on this planet is? Even as the Prez of the US of A. You're not the one fighting the wars. What reason is there, then, to be "tough"? Oh, well. My two...

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
William Henry Harrison became a 'war hero' for defeating an undermanned Shawnee troup at Tipacanoe despite sustaining more losses.  He went on to win a battle during the War of 1812 and then resigned from the army.  In a show of 'toughness' he decided to deliver the longest inaugural speech in history without a hat or overcoat in the cold and rain.   3 weeks later (most historians say having nothing to do with his lack of cloak-wearing at the inaugural), he caught a cold.   He died 9 days later from pneumonia.

I nominate WHH for least tough -- 30 days in office, dies of a cold.   

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

If only Mike Malloy had beeen President.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Malloy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiyn7BpWYJ8

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
yeah definitely different definitions of tough, which annoyed me too.
Its funny to see how wbush and hilary clinton are the exact same form of tough.

W dismantled the iraqi army, who were more than willing to serve with the u.s.. Bush refused to pay them enough to feed their families, picking a fight.

Then he said, 'bring it on'.

Hilary says 'we're proud to terrorize pakistan, 'cus at least one a ya is eevil.'

no wonder 'operation u.s. Taxpayer rip-off' was never investigated.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Dickinson ran away, but was forced back to the line because Jackson was entitled to essentially a free shot now.  He crossed his arms over his heart to try and save his life.  But Jackson instead aimed carefully...and shot him in the crotch.  Dickinson died later from the injury, and Jackson lived 39 more years with the bullet lodged in his chest. 

The next time I shoot someone, I am definitely aiming for the crotch.

In 7th grade history class, in an attempt to enliven it a tad, I asked the teacher whether it was true that Andrew Jax killed a man in a duel. She looked at me liked I farted in church.

She was a great teacher as 7th grade teachers go,but I'm not sure she had heard of that one.

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Can someone clarify (and I'm not hating on your thread, eja, I'm just wondering) what "tough" means? Tough as in good? Do you have to be tough to be good no matter what your role on this planet is? Even as the Prez of the US of A. You're not the one fighting the wars. What reason is there, then, to be "tough"? Oh, well. My two...
To clarify this was meant to be generally satirical, hence the word "nominee", some modifications, no definitions, and historical people, with very minimal discussion on policies. So it can be whatever anyone wants it to be.  The web site said most bad azz presidents, but I wasn't going to write that here.

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Carter has been ballsy as a former president. Most of these guys just rake in money from speaking fees and corporate 'consulting', but Carter has stuck his neck out and written extensively about apartheid Israel, its fifth column lobby in the US, and the detrimental effect our subservience to the Lobby has had on our national interests, national security, and fiscal solvency.

Every president since would like to speak up, but dont have the balls or the patriotism.
Jimmy has definitely earned his Peace Prize which definitely takes a measure of toughness

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
William Henry Harrison became a 'war hero' for defeating an undermanned Shawnee troup at Tipacanoe despite sustaining more losses.  He went on to win a battle during the War of 1812 and then resigned from the army.  In a show of 'toughness' he decided to deliver the longest inaugural speech in history without a hat or overcoat in the cold and rain.   3 weeks later (most historians say having nothing to do with his lack of cloak-wearing at the inaugural), he caught a cold.   He died 9 days later from pneumonia.

I have added him to the nominees although I need to point out there's a difference between lack of toughness and stupidity. Didn't Teddy Roosevelt basically die from swimming in freezing water at old age? But the guy was totally tough. 

Also I was under the impression that WHH single handedly apprehended a guy with a knife in the White House.

Also he was the oldest president until Reagan and colds taking people out was more common back then.

But he's a very good nominee

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I can't believe i forgot Thomas Jefferson. He's on the list now

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
Least tough almost certainly is Andrew Johnson.

Toughest has to go to Ike or Lincoln.

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Lincoln dealt with a badly divided country (Civil War) and a loopy wife both at the same time!  Now that is brave and tough.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!