Author Topic: (Sim and Mock) who would you want the Cs to take?  (Read 19911 times)

Re: (Sim and Mock) who would you want the Cs to take?
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2020, 09:00:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
OK, I'm getting back onto another guy I am very intrigued with: RJ Hampton.  Maybe the best athlete in the draft.  His handle is loose, but think he has great potential to be a decent two way guard.  Reminds me a lot of Jaylen Brown in terms of his composure and maturity. Check out the interview below with Mike Schmidt of ESPN breaking down his video. 

Don't know where his draft stock is today, but think he would be a great system player for Brad Stevens, with time.  Seems like the type of player that Ainge would be very interested in. Some draft boards (NBAdraft.net) have us picking him at 17.

Would consider trading up a spot or two to nab him (throw in our 30 pick). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKmuRF--jQI

Isn't he closer to Dante Exum?  (has been compared to)

Only like 6'3. His handles are definitely a bit loose. Jump shot needs refinement. 

I don't think he is really like Jaylen Brown, Okoro is more like Jaylen in this draft

He's listed at 6'5" with shoes.  Elite athleticism.  Something this draft is lacking in a lot among its top guards.

I said he reminded me of Jaylen Brown in terms of composure and maturity. I was not comparing their skill sets or body types.

I think the Dante Exum comparison has much to do with their similarity in physical look as it does in their playing style, although there is similarity there. Let's not forget that Exum was picked 4th in that draft, and was derailed early due to serious leg injury.  Who knows how he may have developed had he not had so much early bad luck.

In the video interview I posted above he says he really likes studying Kemba Walker, and wants to pattern his game after him. That would be cool for him to work with him on our team.

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2020, 01:56:01 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've watched a lot of youtube videos. Not just the highlights or scouting videos, but many actual plays from the season.

I'm not expert, but I am buying all the Killian Hayes stock I can right now (with KOC). I'm convinced he has the best court vision in this draft. I'm convinced he has some of the best mid-range game in this draft. I'm convinced that he is not too left-hand dominate, but he can use his left hand to get by players almost at will. I'm convinced he will be an effective defender. I'm convinced he can score at all three levels.

I think he's really special and the clear cut number one guy in the draft.

I also think his upside for running a team's offense can go toe-to-toe with just about any shot creator's offense.

I'm all-in.

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
As the lockdown has been "lifted" in my state...which means everything is still closed except for outdoor dining next Monday and it's going to rain...

I'm going with the Belichick draft picking strat. I'm old, thus, have followed Bill's 20 drafts and there are patterns. These can be deployed by Daniel "TD" (trader Danny) Ainge in the upcoming draft beyond the "smallish streaky guard" technique we all know and love.

Bill turned the NFL into a tight end's league...sort of. My point is that by the time he had a first round pick? All of the fancy players were long gone....have yourself a tight end or two and a rugby player with a Greco Roman wrestler thrown in for good measure.

Danny has attempted this technique in the past and it has been nothing short of awful.

Thus, go with the "Bill plan".

Celtics at 17th. I'll use the Tankathon Mock, as, most mocks lose it after the first 3 or 4 picks anyways.

It's draft night...Danny is looking at what is on the table at 17...the clock is tickin'.

Players are categorized for the sake of argument.

5 point guards have already been selected
5 small forwards are off the board (We live in an age of wings)
3 SG are gone
2 Centers
1 power forward

Ok, do you want Ainge to take the "6th best" PG or the "6th best" small forward?

Howzabout the 4th best shooting guard?

Ok, I get that there "aren't any good centers or power forwards", but, Bill Belichick has 6 rings and Danny has one and therefore amidst the plague I recommend he select the "2nd best power forward."

In the 2010 NFL draft Belichick took the "2nd best tight end" in the draft at #42. We know how that worked out...HOF.

Yes, yes, this year's draft has nothing for bigs, but, stick with the religion....

Wiseman
Toppin
Okongwu

This leaves us with...what?! Vernon Carey?!

Never mind.

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2020, 03:10:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
OK, I'm getting back onto another guy I am very intrigued with: RJ Hampton.  Maybe the best athlete in the draft.  His handle is loose, but think he has great potential to be a decent two way guard.  Reminds me a lot of Jaylen Brown in terms of his composure and maturity. Check out the interview below with Mike Schmidt of ESPN breaking down his video. 

Don't know where his draft stock is today, but think he would be a great system player for Brad Stevens, with time.  Seems like the type of player that Ainge would be very interested in. Some draft boards (NBAdraft.net) have us picking him at 17.

Only like 6'3. His handles are definitely a bit loose. Jump shot needs refinement. 

I don't think he is really like Jaylen Brown, Okoro is more like Jaylen in this draft

He's listed at 6'5" with shoes.  Elite athleticism.  Something this draft is lacking in a lot among its top guards.

I said he reminded me of Jaylen Brown in terms of composure and maturity. I was not comparing their skill sets or body types.

I think the Dante Exum comparison has much to do with their similarity in physical look as it does in their playing style, although there is similarity there. Let's not forget that Exum was picked 4th in that draft, and was derailed early due to serious leg injury.  Who knows how he may have developed had he not had so much early bad luck.

In the video interview I posted above he says he really likes studying Kemba Walker, and wants to pattern his game after him. That would be cool for him to work with him on our team.

Tbh Exum is looking like a bust regardless of the leg injury/issue

With such problem, he needed to improve his jump shot..... and it is still substandard.  Plus he is hesitant to shoot and rather try difficult drives

Exum also lacks vision and is clearly a shoot first mentality guard

Jazz no doubt won that trade of Exum for Clarkson

This said, Hampton could turn out to be a "better Exum".  But unfortunately at the moment they share some similar weaknesses

I think Hampton will be there at 17(drops)....but not sure if Danny takes him

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Tbh Exum is looking like a bust regardless of the leg injury/issue

With such problem, he needed to improve his jump shot..... and it is still substandard.  Plus he is hesitant to shoot and rather try difficult drives

Exum also lacks vision and is clearly a shoot first mentality guard

Jazz no doubt won that trade of Exum for Clarkson

This said, Hampton could turn out to be a "better Exum".  But unfortunately at the moment they share some similar weaknesses

I think Hampton will be there at 17(drops)....but not sure if Danny takes him

Exum is Exum. Hampton is Hampton.   Don't understand why the plight of one should be some cautionary tale about the other. Two completely different players. Sure Exum disappointed, but the injuries definitely hurt his development. They were significant.

If Hampton is available at 17, would think DA would be quite interested in taking him. He fulfills a long term need of ours (replacement of Kemba as starting PG in a few years), and is very athletic. Yes it's a crap shoot, but attitude and athleticism are A+. At 17 in weak draft, that is all you can hope for.

I doubt he is available at 17.

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2020, 06:10:27 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I've watched a lot of youtube videos. Not just the highlights or scouting videos, but many actual plays from the season.

I'm not expert, but I am buying all the Killian Hayes stock I can right now (with KOC). I'm convinced he has the best court vision in this draft. I'm convinced he has some of the best mid-range game in this draft. I'm convinced that he is not too left-hand dominate, but he can use his left hand to get by players almost at will. I'm convinced he will be an effective defender. I'm convinced he can score at all three levels.

I also think his upside for running a team's offense can go toe-to-toe with just about any shot creator's offense.

I'm all-in.

Wow, posts like this make me really curious. Going to check him out.
In fairness I know very little right now about the upcoming draft, so I read this topic with an open look.

In 16/17 I was all-in on Fultz before he was considered to be the undisputed nr.1 pick or that the lottery gave us the 1st pick. I thought he was very special and that he could become the most complete point guard in the NBA, the handling of Irving combined with athletism and size to become the ultimate two-way guard. I was wrong  ;D

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I'm all-in.

In fairness I know very little right now about the upcoming draft, so I read this topic with an open look.

In 16/17 I was all-in on Fultz before he was considered to be the undisputed nr.1 pick or that the lottery gave us the 1st pick. I thought he was very special and that he could become the most complete point guard in the NBA, the handling of Irving combined with athletism and size to become the ultimate two-way guard. I was wrong  ;D
As far as Hayes being "special" and "clear cut #1 guy", don't put too much stock in it. He's not a franchise-type talent.

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2020, 07:08:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm all-in.

As far as Hayes being "special" and "clear cut #1 guy", don't put too much stock in it. He's not a franchise-type talent.

He is not, but looks to be as good as any of the top ranked prospects

He looks like he understands the nuances of the game.  Makes the right passes.  Shots are not forced.  Drives the lane/finishes

Very smooth game

Two areas of concern is body needs mass and his defense is basically on the unknown side (accounting mass deficiency).

No way he is available at 17... Or even 15. Put if he drops, I hope Danny puts together a deal to move up

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I'm all-in.

He is not, but looks to be as good as any of the top ranked prospects

He looks like he understands the nuances of the game.  Makes the right passes.  Shots are not forced.  Drives the lane/finishes

Very smooth game

Two areas of concern is body needs mass and his defense is basically on the unknown side (accounting mass deficiency).

No way he is available at 17... Or even 15. Put if he drops, I hope Danny puts together a deal to move up

Unlikely he drops out of top 5.  Let it go, we aren't trading up that high, and shouldn't.

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I see not many folks are impressed with Kaleb Wesson

Which is understandable.  He could still improve on his mobility to ready for the NBA.  He is in between Greg Monroe/Swanigan and Horford in terms of mobility?

But he has progressed nicely and maybe could slim down a bit more/improve footwork.  Become closer to Al Horford mobility.  Work ethic is there

He was 315 pounds out of high school. Michael Sweetney heavy size.  Two years ago slim down to 290.  Hawks and Celts gave him a tryout last offseason and recommended to work harder to slim down.

He further dropped his weight down to 255 pounds.  And had a productive season for Ohio St this past season.

He is skilled + IQ  and shot the 3 at 42 percent (top percentile) .  Avg 2 assist per game (excellent for a big)

Not sure if 30 is too high to take a risk on him...

Kaleb Wesson highlights

Junior (255 pounds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIxY0iVcwQE&t=285s

Soph (290 pounds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPDVcmD5-A

HS final year at 315 pounds

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Which is understandable.  He could still improve on his mobility to ready for the NBA.  He is in between Greg Monroe/Swanigan and Horford in terms of mobility?

But he has progressed nicely and maybe could slim down a bit more/improve footwork.  Become closer to Al Horford mobility.  Work ethic is there

He was 315 pounds out of high school. Michael Sweetney heavy size.  Two years ago slim down to 290.  Hawks and Celts gave him a tryout last offseason and recommended to work harder to slim down.

He further dropped his weight down to 255 pounds.  And had a productive season for Ohio St this past season.

He is skilled + IQ  and shot the 3 at 42 percent (top percentile) .  Avg 2 assist per game (excellent for a big)

Kaleb Wesson highlights

Junior (255 pounds)

Soph (290 pounds)

We don’t need another Sully, just with less talent.

Also, 2 assists per game is not excellent for a big at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2020, 09:45:49 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:26:42 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2020, 09:59:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Patrick Williams.  He’s  a 6’8” swing with a 6’11” wingspan.  He’s strong and athletic.  He’s a smart team defender who switches well, defends the perimeter, a decent weak side shot blocker, and can defend the paint a bit against traditional bigs (Vernon Cary).  On offense, he moves well without the ball knowing when to cut.  He plays above the rim finishing alley oops.  His outside shot is a work in progress, but has good form and knocks down his free throws.  He’s also still only 18.  He’s my guy at 17.  I’d even give up one of the other picks to move up a couple of slots.

Look at that 6’8” physique at 18 and a few months

above the rim  https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=RDCMUC0hy7TcR1gGD8nQBqrF2FaA&v=9K02y0J0JHI&index=21

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXSdXHR6XcU

83.8% free throws

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2020, 11:16:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Kaleb Wesson highlights

Junior (255 pounds)

Soph (290 pounds)

We don’t need another Sully, just with less talent.

Also, 2 assists per game is not excellent for a big at all

Wait, In what world was Sullinger a decent 3 point shooter? He also stayed at 280 pounds plus and lacked the work ethic nor willpower to raise his conditioning

Al Horford averaged 2 assist per game in college...  was he considered a mediocre passing big man?

Who had better passing numbers (PF/C) than Wesson last season?

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2020, 11:19:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Patrick Williams.  He’s  a 6’8” swing with a 6’11” wingspan.  He’s strong and athletic.  He’s a smart team defender who switches well, defends the perimeter, a decent weak side shot blocker, and can defend the paint a bit against traditional bigs (Vernon Cary).  On offense, he moves well without the ball knowing when to cut.  He plays above the rim finishing alley oops.  His outside shot is a work in progress, but has good form and knocks down his free throws.  He’s also still only 18.  He’s my guy at 17.  I’d even give up one of the other picks to move up a couple of slots.

Look at that 6’8” physique at 18 and a few months

above the rim  https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=RDCMUC0hy7TcR1gGD8nQBqrF2FaA&v=9K02y0J0JHI&index=21

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXSdXHR6XcU

83.8% free throws

Per mock drafts these day, his range is around 13

He does checkmark lots of things teams like from a modern day versatile prospect