Author Topic: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist  (Read 22729 times)

Re: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Steven Enoch could be a big-man in our range at the end of the draft. He's old (22), but he is a real difference maker for Louisville. Doesn't get too much play (21MPG roughly), but he possesses really good OBPM, DBPM, BPM and WS/48 numbers since arriving at Louisville. Great rebounder, and has shown flashes of being able to shoot a three.

I really like the way Tyrese Haliburton plays.

Daniel Oturu is a big having a really nice season. Has a lovely touch around the ring.

Omer Yurtseven (seems like we have talked about him for 4 years straight) could be another late-round target.

I love Paul Reed. Developing jump-shot, but is a great rebounder and defender, and can score.

Feel like Ashton Hagans has become somewhat forgotten about. Could be a good pickup.

Avidjia also seems good, but don't know much about him.

Don't really want us to end up with 3 first rounders to be honest. Not sure if any team is looking to trade down though, who knows. Ultimate dream is we're able to package into the top 5 and snag Wiseman or something like that, but 2021 seems like a stronger draft to me. Jalen Green, Evan Mobley, Jalen Johnson, Ibou Dianko Badji (physical monster) and Saddiq Bey are all fun prospects, to name a couple.
Add to that Cade Cunningham, Terrance Clarke(Super Freak Athlete from Dorchester!) and Greg Brown. It is really a loaded draft.

So, the Memphis pick is a good pick, a likely lottery pick whether it's this year or next.  Since the C's are contending now (with some luck this year..health for us, etc.) and certainly contending next year and onward, I want the pick this year, not next.  I think pick 7-8 in this year's draft will be just as good as pick 10-15 in next years.  It takes so long to acclimate players...let's get another guy on board, hopefully a PF, maybe center, but whatever, BPA, and get him into our rotation asap. 
Either that or trade the pick.

If you want to gamble that Memphis has an injury next year which puts them down at picks 1-4, okay I'll accept the idea of gambling.  I can't picture a healthy next year's Memphis team bringing a pick higher than 10.  And all the players you guys listed at the top of next year's draft are likely going between 1 and 8, 10 at the latest.  If they fall out of that range they're probably not as good as currently advertised.

If Danny has a secret plan for his offseason that makes this year's picks superfluous, then okay, trade the picks into the future.  Or trade for a stud big.

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Steven Enoch could be a big-man in our range at the end of the draft. He's old (22), but he is a real difference maker for Louisville. Doesn't get too much play (21MPG roughly), but he possesses really good OBPM, DBPM, BPM and WS/48 numbers since arriving at Louisville. Great rebounder, and has shown flashes of being able to shoot a three.

I really like the way Tyrese Haliburton plays.

Daniel Oturu is a big having a really nice season. Has a lovely touch around the ring.

Omer Yurtseven (seems like we have talked about him for 4 years straight) could be another late-round target.

I love Paul Reed. Developing jump-shot, but is a great rebounder and defender, and can score.

Feel like Ashton Hagans has become somewhat forgotten about. Could be a good pickup.

Avidjia also seems good, but don't know much about him.

Don't really want us to end up with 3 first rounders to be honest. Not sure if any team is looking to trade down though, who knows. Ultimate dream is we're able to package into the top 5 and snag Wiseman or something like that, but 2021 seems like a stronger draft to me. Jalen Green, Evan Mobley, Jalen Johnson, Ibou Dianko Badji (physical monster) and Saddiq Bey are all fun prospects, to name a couple.
Add to that Cade Cunningham, Terrance Clarke(Super Freak Athlete from Dorchester!) and Greg Brown. It is really a loaded draft.
All good calls. Cunningham is a really interesting prospect.

Seems stacked with athletic wings, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Kaleb Wesson is a guy the Celtics worked out last year and he ended up returning to Ohio State to work on a few things.

He's lost 35 pounds and became a better shooter and defender.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2019/11/25/20976918/ohio-state-mens-basketbal-kaleb-wesson-transformed-game-body-nba-draft-prospect

He might be a guy the Celtics would be interested in at the bottom of the first round.

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2019, 02:35:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I’m going to the UK - Louisville game in a few minutes.

I don’t know much about the best prospects ..
who could be Danny’s target from both teams next June?

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2019, 04:25:14 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Nwora, Hagans, Maxey...not sure who else...

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Nwora, Hagans, Maxey...not sure who else...
Hagans and Maxey look good so far. Langford type players with better shooting

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
time to officialize things.

My official binky:  Onyeka Okongwu
A little early for me and binkies but if we get stuck with the Memphis pick DA should really move up as far as he can if anyone will take the Boston pick and the Bucks pick.
Right now I really like Obi Toppin from Dayton. He could move up in this weak draft and be a top 5 pick.
Toppin had a good game against NFlorida the other night. 31 points, 8 boards. He missed 4 of 5 FT's, an area of concern, though he is a over 60% FT shooter and has some developing 3-point range so it could just be a "Jaylen Brown" thing.

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Memphis’ pick can really go a lot of ways. They’re only two games back of the Spurs for the 8 seed in the playoffs, which would take them out of the lottery — but they’re also only two games ahead of the Pels for the 6th worst record in the league, which gives them a chance to hold onto their pick (if nobody jumps them in the lottery). These moderately bad teams are all falling within a pretty narrow range to this point. One run of bad or good games can make for a huge swing. Still, unless the team craters, it’s a little hard to see them landing worse than the current bottom five. Those teams are bad.

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2020, 12:32:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
since it's the new year I feel obligated to re-announce my binkie:

OKONGWU :)

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Memphis’ pick can really go a lot of ways. They’re only two games back of the Spurs for the 8 seed in the playoffs, which would take them out of the lottery — but they’re also only two games ahead of the Pels for the 6th worst record in the league, which gives them a chance to hold onto their pick (if nobody jumps them in the lottery). These moderately bad teams are all falling within a pretty narrow range to this point. One run of bad or good games can make for a huge swing. Still, unless the team craters, it’s a little hard to see them landing worse than the current bottom five. Those teams are bad.
This post probably is better understood in the Memphis '19-'20 Season Watch thread than in a Draft Watchlist. We're onto "binkies" here only if the pick conveys. Best case scenario for me is I really hope Memphis gets the 6th pick and we move on to next season's loaded draft. Even if we get the 10th pick next year.

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

A little early for me and binkies but if we get stuck with the Memphis pick DA should really move up as far as he can if anyone will take the Boston pick and the Bucks pick.
Right now I really like Obi Toppin from Dayton. He could move up in this weak draft and be a top 5 pick.
You can watch Toppin play tonight on CBS Sports Network at LaSalle. Should be a good show out for him.

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Maybe I'm feeling my age. Every year I hear people say the coming draft class is weak. Even worse - they'll say the class after that will be much stronger - as if they have any idea which 16 or 17 year olds are going to be chosen two years from now, and on top of that, what their NBA ceilings will be! 

We were told repeatedly that the 2016 NBA draft was "weak", and especially that it was void of all-star level talent. https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7dyq6q/remember_draft_class_of_2016_was_considered_a/. Predictions made 2 years out are often hilariously wrong - every year brings us draft "risers" and "fallers" as 16-year olds finally face elite competition and show warts - or develop unexpectedly.

Please leave off with the "weak draft" comments for 2020. And if you can't do that, at least don't tell us the 2021 draft is going to be great.

(This concludes today's old-man, "get off my lawn" comment.)

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Maybe I'm feeling my age. Every year I hear people say the coming draft class is weak. Even worse - they'll say the class after that will be much stronger - as if they have any idea which 16 or 17 year olds are going to be chosen two years from now, and on top of that, what their NBA ceilings will be! 

We were told repeatedly that the 2016 NBA draft was "weak", and especially that it was void of all-star level talent. https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7dyq6q/remember_draft_class_of_2016_was_considered_a/. Predictions made 2 years out are often hilariously wrong - every year brings us draft "risers" and "fallers" as 16-year olds finally face elite competition and show warts - or develop unexpectedly.

Please leave off with the "weak draft" comments for 2020. And if you can't do that, at least don't tell us the 2021 draft is going to be great.

(This concludes today's old-man, "get off my lawn" comment.)
completely agree! I remember late 1st rd draft picks for 2012 and 2014 were treated like gold by "knowledgeable" fans and GMs because some draft gurus were hyping them up and no other reason.

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2020, 01:01:36 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

You can watch Toppin play tonight on CBS Sports Network at LaSalle. Should be a good show out for him.
Hmmm I might go watch him in person next saturday as getting a good seat should be cheap for the flyers.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2020, 01:50:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not sure he's ready, but a sophomore named Kylor Kelley from Oregon State could be a guy to keep in mind for a late draft pick. He's 7'1'', good athlete, and good length.

He's blocking 4.3 shots a game right now on only 2.3 fouls. He can score a bit inside and I like the long-term potential of his shooting stroke.

He's not a guy who will be ready to make a positive impact for awhile, but he's a good project. He reminds me a bit of Meyers Leonard or Willie Cauley-Stein.