Poll

In a redraft of the 2016 draft where would Jaylen Brown be taken?

1st
2 (5%)
2nd
15 (37.5%)
3rd
11 (27.5%)
4th/5th
8 (20%)
6th/7th
3 (7.5%)
8th or later
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Revisiting the 2016 Draft  (Read 18011 times)

Re: Revisiting the 2016 Draft
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2019, 08:36:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It is interesting that Brown has been as good if not better than Ingram and Simmons. Siakam is an interesting player but I am not quite sure he is the star he has shown flashes of being.  And yes, age is a critical factor in the evaluation for draft and still is although getting less.  At 23, Jaylen has more upside than say Heild at 27.  There is just no doubt about this.

It was an interesting draft.  A lot of talent emerged from it.  I am very happy with Brown.
Is Siakam not a star yet? He's a huge reason for the Raptors maintaining a top offence and is still a key cog in their defensive system.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
It is interesting that Brown has been as good if not better than Ingram and Simmons. Siakam is an interesting player but I am not quite sure he is the star he has shown flashes of being.  And yes, age is a critical factor in the evaluation for draft and still is although getting less.  At 23, Jaylen has more upside than say Heild at 27.  There is just no doubt about this.

It was an interesting draft.  A lot of talent emerged from it.  I am very happy with Brown.
Is Siakam not a star yet? He's a huge reason for the Raptors maintaining a top offence and is still a key cog in their defensive system.

Exactly, I am not sure where to put him.  Is he Giannis or another true top guy who can lead a title contender?  A guy that you put the ball in his hands at the end of a game?  I am saying maybe but it is not fully clear exactly what he is or could be.  We could certainly use him on the Celtics.  He is stunningly great return for the 27th pick.

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Exactly, I am not sure where to put him.  Is he Giannis or another true top guy who can lead a title contender?  A guy that you put the ball in his hands at the end of a game?  I am saying maybe but it is not fully clear exactly what he is or could be.  We could certainly use him on the Celtics.  He is stunningly great return for the 27th pick.
Oh okay. I think he's an All-NBA guy as of right now, he's certainly not an MVP candidate like Giannis...yet. I will never doubt this guy's chances of making a leap until he starts to age lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2019, 11:26:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I went 4th/5th.  I still think Simmons goes 1.  Siakam and Ingram seem like the 2 and 3, though I'm not sure the order.  I think Brown, Murray, and Brogdon are the 4/5/6 slot, though I think it might depend on the team on which one they go with as they are all pretty close.  I also think a random team here or there might think Hield or Sabonis should be there over those guys.  I voted 4/5 though think he theoretically could go 6.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I still have him 3d. I assume the Cs are getting that pick. Siakam and Ingram are off the board as 1 and 2. (Simmons is fine, but would Philly, knowing what it knows today, rather have Siakam? I think that’s a pretty easy question. He’d fit so much better alongside Embiid.) Then who would the Cs take ahead of Brown? Brogdon is better today, but not by much and he’s older. Brown still has more upside. Sabonis is a nice player but I’d rather have a plus-length wing who has potential to be elite on both ends. I see the argument for Murray. He’s the one I could imagine, given his ability to craeate. But I like Jaylen’s defensive upside a lot. Nobody else moves the needle for me, especially if you’re trying to build the kind of team the Cs we’re trying to construct. The core requires two-way wings with good length for their position.

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I went 4th/5th.  I still think Simmons goes 1.  Siakam and Ingram seem like the 2 and 3, though I'm not sure the order.  I think Brown, Murray, and Brogdon are the 4/5/6 slot, though I think it might depend on the team on which one they go with as they are all pretty close.  I also think a random team here or there might think Hield or Sabonis should be there over those guys.  I voted 4/5 though think he theoretically could go 6.

Thats totally fair, and it's worth pointing out that doesn't make Jaylen disappointing. Its just there are a lot of guys from this draft who are balling out and a lot still left to play out. Right now taking him fifth might be justified, a year from now maybe he's 1st or 2nd. I think he still has some untapped upside if his playmaking can improve.

Mostly I'm just kind of surprised how much this draft has flipped over the start of this year. There were serious reservations about Ingram's health and ability to ability to shoot. Everybody thought Simmons was secure as the best player in the draft. Brown was disappointing last year. Siakam looked good, but was he starter or star level good? How much more than just a "solid cog" could Brogdon be? Did Sabonis have anther level? So much has broken right for this draft.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:05:41 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I got Jaylen at #2 behind Siakam at #1. Then I'll go Ingram #3.  Hield #4. Ben Simmons at #5 and then Brogdon at #6. Jamal Murray at #7 and Sabonis at #8.

I went with Jaylen over Ingram because I think Ingram's stats are inflated by playing PF next to 3 guards on an all-offense (albeit misfiring offense) lineup / game-plan. Ingram needs to improve significantly as a defender to become a PF. He is more a SF where his offensive advantages are less.

I went with Hield at #4 because he is not just a strong shooter/scorer but an exceptional one. His volume and accuracy on three pointers is game-changing. I gave Hield the nod over Ben Simmons because I wasn't willing to gamble on losing Hield's scoring / shooting for Simmons' upside.

However, I was willing to take that gamble when we turn to Brogdon. Great glue guy. Maybe a 3rd option type although I am not completely sold on him maintaining high scoring numbers when he has the to share the ball with more offensive talent alongside him. Not a natural scorer. More passive than assertive. Put him alongside a guy like Kemba and Tatum and I am not sure Brogdon is a 20ppg guy. More a 15ppg.

Ben Simmons has the chance to be something special if a team is built around him. However, his lack of improvement on his jump-shooting makes me disinclined to gamble on that over what Jaylen, Ingram and Hield have already shown me. I'd love to see Simmons have a team built around him like Giannis has.

Tough call between Jamal Murray and D.Sabonis. I went Murray. He can play both guard spots and I reckon he'd do more (be more efficient) outside of Denver when he doesn't have to play PG anymore.

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Delighted with jaylen.. 2 way player on a good team plays as a third option behind Walker Tatum and maybe Hayward and even so he becomes better and better.. Murray has a licence to shoot at will playing for a weak team.. Ingram and hield too..Simmons has no shooting and is not Giannis.. and does not play hard... siakam looks good but  is he a star? Good players but who is drastically improving every year..? I 'll keep him

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
There are a lot of good players who are in the same tier in that draft.  Many of them would be interchangeable in a redraft.  My main thought is that I'd rather have Brown than the guy who was drafted #1.  I'd rather have quite a few of those guys than the guy who went #1.  Simmons is awesome in spurts, especially when the game gets ragged and there are multiple fast break opportunities for him.  But in the the halfcourt he's probably the absolute worst player out of all those guys who have been mentioned.  And he looks pretty uninterested in doing more than coasting a lot of the time.  I'm pretty thrilled with Jalen in comparison.

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 05:14:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Delighted with jaylen.. 2 way player on a good team plays as a third option behind Walker Tatum and maybe Hayward and even so he becomes better and better.. Murray has a licence to shoot at will playing for a weak team.. Ingram and hield too..Simmons has no shooting and is not Giannis.. and does not play hard... siakam looks good but  is he a star? Good players but who is drastically improving every year..? I 'll keep him
Denver is a weak team?

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Pretty sure if Toronto offered Siakam for Simmons Brett Brown is driving him to the airport. I feel like people are fairly oblivious that Simmons hasn't developed at all on the offensive end. He shows no improvement from foul line, no willingness to take jumpers and is averaging a career high in turnovers. These are things that players work on improve (look at Brown from ft).

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2019, 01:33:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Pretty sure if Toronto offered Siakam for Simmons Brett Brown is driving him to the airport. I feel like people are fairly oblivious that Simmons hasn't developed at all on the offensive end. He shows no improvement from foul line, no willingness to take jumpers and is averaging a career high in turnovers. These are things that players work on improve (look at Brown from ft).

Agree 💯.

Ujiri would be at the airport to stop Simmons from getting on the plane while he tries to figure out who ok’d it and whether he can undo it.

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
1. Siakam
2a. Ingram
2b. Brown
4. Simmons
5. Hield
6. Brogdon

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2019, 02:22:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

That is probably correct, though it doesn't mean Siakam is better or has more value than Simmons.  That would more a reflection of the poor fit that Simmons is with Embiid. 

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

That is probably correct, though it doesn't mean Siakam is better or has more value than Simmons.  That would more a reflection of the poor fit that Simmons is with Embiid.

Where would Simmons fit best? I'm not sure who.