Author Topic: Why are people panicking over Team USAs losses?  (Read 4759 times)

Re: Why are people panicking over Team USAs losses?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Even more so because Tatum didn’t play against France, and Kemba and Smart sat out the final game due to injury. I guess we can blame it all on Brown? He seems to be the latest in a long line of forum punching bags? Olynyk and Rozier are gone, Smart has improved, so it must be Jaylen’s turn.

Contract year so people are going to debate him and whether to play him big bucks or not.  Deal with it....

As opposed to what? Watching him walk? Is that really a better option?

This isn't a Josh Jackson situation. Brown has already proven to be a high level two way player that can elevate his game and the whole team in big games, including the playoffs.

I'm comfortable giving him the max, but I don't think we'll have to. He would still be a positively value contract to a contending team looking for a versatile wing who can do a little bit of everything.

I just hear people say throw away statements like "Of course Brown is better than Ingram" pretty consistently. Not fans, but people whose basketball acumen I respect. Its pretty shocking the level of disrespect he gets from his own fans on this forum.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just hear people say throw away statements like "Of course Brown is better than Ingram" pretty consistently. Not fans, but people whose basketball acumen I respect. Its pretty shocking the level of disrespect he gets from his own fans on this forum.

Let's see some articles from these basketball minds backing this backing this up, perhaps?   Because I call BS on your claims and really got a good laugh reading them.   Here is a head to head comparison.

These are from their best years.

Points Per Game
Jaylen Brown    14.5    (2018)
Brandon Ingram    18.3    (2019)

Rebounds Per Game
Jaylen Brown    4.9    (2018)
Brandon Ingram    5.3       (2018)

Assists Per Game
Jaylen Brown    1.6       (2018)
Brandon Ingram    3.9       (2018)

Steals Per Game
Jaylen Brown    1.0       (2018)
Brandon Ingram    0.8       (2018)

Blocks Per Game
Jaylen Brown    0.4       (2019)
Brandon Ingram    0.7       (2018)

and their career stats
Points Per Game
Jaylen Brown    11.2       
Brandon Ingram    13.9       

Rebounds Per Game
Jaylen Brown    4.0       
Brandon Ingram    4.7       

Assists Per Game
Jaylen Brown    1.3       
Brandon Ingram    2.9       

Steals Per Game
Jaylen Brown    0.8       
Brandon Ingram    0.6       

Blocks Per Game
Jaylen Brown    0.3       
Brandon Ingram    0.6       

Brown is a slightly better shooter but it should be clear, that Ingram last year was better than Brown, now some of this is due to playing time but also, Ingram best year was better than Browns.  Jaylen is a better defender but is either of these guys a future all star, I have my doubts given their present performance levels. 

https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/jaylen_brown_vs_brandon_ingram.htm

I did a google search, a did not one credible basketball articles saying Brown was better than Ingram and if you post some guys from Reddit, I am going to laugh my arse off.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The Celtics future core couldn't beat some random guys from France

Imagine if it was KG/pierce/ray losing to france

In a single elimination tournament with some different rules. KG/Ray/Pierce lost to the second unit of the 2007-2008 team (Scalabrine & Co.) a couple times in a row in scrimmages when they first got together and KG kept them all playing until they won.

And France has several veteran nba players.

Perfection is not an achievable standard.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 11:40:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's simply because there's almost nothing else to talk about.  NBA people need stuff to talk about right now and this is one angle.

If you take a step back and a deep breath you should recognize that four of the Celts' most important players getting an extra month of practice and exhibition games to build chemistry playing together and warm up for the season is 100% a good thing.  No downside.

Forget about the rest of the noise.  You weren't expecting the Celts to win the title this year anyway, were you?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Because people in the US know nothing about foreign basketball... US won all these years because players like Jordan magic bird o neal kobe lebron... could win everything by themselves...this US team could easily loose by a euroleage team... they were very young and had no centers... you cannot build a team like that.. the best national teams play with certain systems for years.. Spain Argentina France Lithuania Serbia Greece have a tactical approach that the kids learn from age 16 17...and they play together in youth national tournaments so they know each other... the celtics have a whole regular season to find out how they will play..
Use Brown only as sg please..
Use Tatum only as sf please..
Start robert Williams after 20 games he will be better...
Sign fall... and learn him play.. whoever says centers are not needed watch Spain's and France's games in wc...