Author Topic: Tacko Fall(merged threads)  (Read 42563 times)

Re: Tacko Fall(merged threads)
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Is it absolutely crazy of me to think that Tacko Fall is a player?

Generally, I'm not a hype man. I wasn't a believer in Fall in college or the draft process.

Summer league made me pay attention to him, but I still knew that he was playing against scrubs, not NBA talent.

Seeing him play against the Hornets, I came away impressed. Not HOF impressed, but legit NBA player impressed. I never really felt that way about Yabu, even though I wanted to.

He can move and he has good hands. He is active. He makes plays. He's not passive. Stuff happens when he plays.

He looks a lot better than I thought he'd be at this level when he played in college, but I'd be careful getting too far ahead of things. He hasn't experienced real NBA physicality and speed yet. But the fact that he seems like he could have a chance to be a player speaks really really well of how he's impressed the last few months.

« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How did Takco go undrafted? He clearly has potential in a league lacking big man talent.

Also, how did Bol Bol fall to the 44th pick? Wasn't he supposed to be a lottery pick not that long ago?

« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2019, 01:07:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
How did Takco go undrafted? He clearly has potential in a league lacking big man talent.

Also, how did Bol Bol fall to the 44th pick? Wasn't he supposed to be a lottery pick not that long ago?

With regards to Tacko, there was a question of mobility and whether that will prevent him from being functional in the modern NBA.  I wanted us to pick him and am happy he fell through the draft, so I don’t completely share those concerns, but I think they’re legitimate.

As to Bol Bol, there are both very real injury concerns as well as on-court energy concerns.  I would have, and still would, take Tacko over Bol Bol.

« Reply #228 on: October 10, 2019, 01:22:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I was really surprised by him in the NCAA Tournament when he was defending Zion.  He made things difficult for Zion who went off for 29 points on 12/13 shooting last night.  It may take a year or two, but I think he can become a useful player even if it's just a few situational minutes per game. 

I think the key with him is that he's gotten stronger in his legs and core since early college years which has helped improve his mobility and even coordination.

« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Haven't read through this whole thread.  How do people think he stacks up against Boban, comparison wise?  Boban seems to have established a role in this league, but I can't say I have watched too much of him.  As for Tako, one of my concerns during summer league was his reaction time, especially on the boards.  He moves around the court ok, but there is the issue of inertia.  I think he can certainly find a role on a team with some more seasoning.

« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tacko gives me some hope defending against the strong post up guys like Embiid.  He will need help, but not as much as some other guys will. 

Giannis is too quick for Tacko to handle, unless it is for post ups, which GA doesn't do a lot of currently.

« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Haven't read through this whole thread.  How do people think he stacks up against Boban, comparison wise?  Boban seems to have established a role in this league, but I can't say I have watched too much of him.  As for Tako, one of my concerns during summer league was his reaction time, especially on the boards.  He moves around the court ok, but there is the issue of inertia.  I think he can certainly find a role on a team with some more seasoning.

I haven't seen enough yet of him, but my impression is he's quicker than Boban, although Boban is a much more efficient scorer, at least at the moment. He seems to me that he can be a much better defender than Boban if he gains a lot more experience and feel for the game. Although those are two big IFs. Boban's biggest issue is endurance, and pick and roll defense. I'm not sure how Fall is in terms of endurance, and he needs work on pick and roll defense.

You just simply can't have either of those two on the floor for very long in today's NBA, where teams will just kill you with wide open outside shooting.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:56:55 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Tacko gives me some hope defending against the strong post up guys like Embiid.  He will need help, but not as much as some other guys will. 

Giannis is too quick for Tacko to handle, unless it is for post ups, which GA doesn't do a lot of currently.
If he can help with Embiid but maybe not so much Giannis, I would still be inclined to keep him.  He will most likely get the lion's share of his minutes against backups, not either of these guys.  The matchup problems he creates are going to frustrate opposing teams.

« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

If he can help with Embiid but maybe not so much Giannis, I would still be inclined to keep him.  He will most likely get the lion's share of his minutes against backups, not either of these guys.  The matchup problems he creates are going to frustrate opposing teams.
How about if they only used him to bother inbounds plays at the end of quarters/games? Wouldn’t even just that justify the 15th roster spot?

« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I haven't seen enough yet of him, but my impression is he's quicker than Boban, although Boban is a much more efficient scorer, at least at the moment. He seems to me that he can be a much better defender than Boban if he gains a lot more experience and feel for the game. Although those are two big IFs. Boban's biggest issue is endurance, and pick and roll defense. I'm not sure how Fall is in terms of endurance, and he needs work on pick and roll defense.

You just simply can't have either of those two on the floor for very long in today's NBA, where teams will just kill you with wide open outside shooting.
Good post.  I think Boban is a VERY good all around offensive player and there is no way Tacko could ever approach his level.  I really think Boban would have been a star and possibly a superstar if he played in an earlier era.  I think Tacko’s absolute ceiling is a very poor man’s Mark Eaton regardless of what era we are talking about.

« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2019, 08:34:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Good post.  I think Boban is a VERY good all around offensive player and there is no way Tacko could ever approach his level.  I really think Boban would have been a star and possibly a superstar if he played in an earlier era.  I think Tacko’s absolute ceiling is a very poor man’s Mark Eaton regardless of what era we are talking about.

Agreed! Mark Eaton is an excellent comparison as a best case scenario.

« Reply #236 on: October 10, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

He's never guarding Gianni's one on one. The idea is If Tacko can anchor himself in the paint before Gianni's gets a full head of steam.

In that regard he will be able to slow down Gianni's from dunking Everytime in the paint.

« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2019, 12:25:10 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

He's never guarding Gianni's one on one. The idea is If Tacko can anchor himself in the paint before Gianni's gets a full head of steam.

In that regard he will be able to slow down Gianni's from dunking Everytime in the paint.
So he is gonna leave Lopez wide open from three?

« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2019, 12:41:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

So he is gonna leave Lopez wide open from three?
I'd have him guarding Giannis ala Baynes tbh, just sag off of him and let your wings bother Giannis via help defense if he decides to shoot.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2019, 12:43:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

So All-NBA caliber defense (Eaton was a DPOY level defender)? Sign me up!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA