Author Topic: Hawks (17-14) at Celtics (13-17) Game 31 12/31  (Read 51136 times)

Re: Hawks (17-14) at Celtics (13-17) Game 31 12/31
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
tonight was a lose/lose from a tanking perspective.

Tanking is starting to look better for the Celtics. With the upcoming schedule the Celtics should be heavy underdogs for the next 9 games. Say they go 1-8 or 2-7. And we are in top 5 territory

Especially if the chronically injured Jared Sullinger is done for the season.  Our tanking hopes would sky rocket.

what happened to sully? i missed that part of the game. did he injure his back?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Tanking is starting to look better for the Celtics. With the upcoming schedule the Celtics should be heavy underdogs for the next 9 games. Say they go 1-8 or 2-7. And we are in top 5 territory

Especially if the chronically injured Jared Sullinger is done for the season.  Our tanking hopes would sky rocket.

Its his left wrist I believe, he's been nursing it for a while wearing a glove on it even.

« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

How about if they just play as well as they can and win as many games as possible and if they end up in the lottery so be it and if they end up in the playoffs, so be it.

The last thing this young team needs is purposeful losing strategies by their GM or coach.

The lack of talent will take care of sending the team tanking down the standings. No wacky strategies needed.

The west coast trip will be brutal. Teams look really good on the west coast.

« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I had the Hawks feed. The announcers were laughing at Jordan Crawford.

Also, Bass was terrible. Anyone who thinks he is a great defender, probably changed their mind this afternoon.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

The last thing this young team needs is purposeful losing strategies by their GM....

I think assembling this roster with Crawford,Bradley, and Pressey as the PG options was just that.I think Ainge expected more games like this one from Crawford, as opposed to the overall pleasant surprise he's been.

« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Its his left wrist I believe, he's been nursing it for a while wearing a glove on it even.
Man... between Rondo, Sully and Bradley... our core sure is injury prone.

« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bass and Green benched for public altercation on bench.

Given they both also played awful, maybe that was a good thing.

Public altercation? I missed that. More details please. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
One of the first Stevens stubborn coach moments. Hope this benching of Bass, Green and Sullinger is useful down the road. The team we had out the final minutes could not score in the clutch.

I was ok with it. The starters needed a message. A loss in a season like this is worth it.

I was more than okay with it.

Humphries had 18 points and 10 rebounds. Why shouldn't he finish the game? Because he's not a "starter"?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
i think im the only one who doesnt like bass. he never changes he will always be a selfish player just like crawford. but atleast crawford has more ability

bench bass and give KO his starting job back he actually can pass the ball

« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20

bradley hasnt been hurt for awhile please dont jinx us

and atleast its not sully's back its his left hand

« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

How about if they just play as well as they can and win as many games as possible and if they end up in the lottery so be it and if they end up in the playoffs, so be it.

The last thing this young team needs is purposeful losing strategies by their GM or coach.

^Yes to everything you just said.

« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Maybe I'm nit-picking over terminology here, but do we really have a core? That's not meant to be an indictment on any player on this team, but we're a below .500 team in the East that appears to be more than just a player away...

« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Maybe I'm nit-picking over terminology here, but do we really have a core? That's not meant to be an indictment on any player on this team, but we're a below .500 team in the East that appears to be more than just a player away...

I would call them, along with green, the core players of this team. They are the most talented players on the roster, and you have to start building somewhere.

Are they core players for a championship team in the future? No. I think rondo could be, but the others would be role players.

« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I hate it....but now is the time for an 8-10 game losing streak---and a timely trade of at least one of our starters....Feel bad for Humphries and the other guys who played Hard today---Crawford SUCKED badly--and the refs made sure to call a foul every time the Hawks fell down on the slightest contact.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2013, 04:21:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bass and Green benched for public altercation on bench.

Given they both also played awful, maybe that was a good thing.

Public altercation? I missed that. More details please. :)

Oh wow.  As if it couldn't get worse... now our starters are brawling on the bench.

This is a disaster.  Our team is already 5 games below .500.  Our injury-prone core can't stay on the court.  Over the past two seasons, Bradley has missed 28% of his games.  Sully has missed 41%.  And our "star point guard" has missed a whopping 68% of his games. 

Meanwhile, our 2nd and 3rd highest paid players rot on our bench.  Gerald Wallace is on the hook for 30 million and is statistically one of the worst players in the entire league.

Now I hear tale that two of our starters were coming to blows on the bench?  Outrageous! 

Only one conclusion can be drawn from all of this.  Enough is enough.  This isn't working.  It's time.   

Time to blow it up, Danny.