Author Topic: Who is giving AL 4 years  (Read 8354 times)

Re: Who is giving AL 4 years
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 02:04:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Uh the Heat gave up everything on their roster except Haslem/Wade and a lot of future draft picks. (the draft picks were due to LBJ/Bosh dictating a sign and trade to get more years on their contracts)

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just hope to all that is holy that it's not the Lakers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
Al and Kawhi going to LAC.
I would think this the most logical destination and result.
If Kawhi doesn't sign in LAC do you think Al would still go there? LAC is the only winning team I can think of that has that kind of cap space.

I'm hoping he wants to go to a team that is already over the cap so that team would be forced into a sign and trade.
Houston comes to mind. I’m sure OKC would love him too but I’m not sure what they could offer us. I’m not interested in Adams.

I don't think either of those teams have cap space. Definitely not $25 million of it.

That's why it would be a sign-and-trade.  Horford-for-Capela, Horford-for-Adams, etc.

Maybe not 4 years, but maybe Houston offers 3 years for $80m-$90m?  They figure they've locked themselves into that window with Paul for the next 3 years, so lets try to keep that window open.  Swapping Capela for Horford may be their only chance to try to move the needle next year.  And with the C's falling apart, they'd gladly take Capela to make the trade work.  Maybe C's even throw in a 1st, and now Houston has another asset to tinker with.  Although looking at the math, it might have to be a max of $86m/4yrs to make the math work without Houston including other players, which they have very few of.

Similar thought with OKC/Adams.

This is an actual situation where a sign-and-trade works with the new CBA.  Teams over the cap want to sign a player, and have a player they're willing to give up that the other team might actually be interested in.

And I believe Boston, Houston, and OKC were the top 3 teams on Horford's radar when he was last a free agent in 2016.  OKC has the Billy Donovan connection, and his father Tito wanted him to play in Houston:

HOUSTON – Boston big man Al Horford said he was impressed with the Houston Rockets' free-agency pitch over the summer.

It was a difficult decision for Horford, whose dad wanted him to play for the Rockets.

Horford, who eventually signed a four-year, $113 million deal with the Celtics, had one of his first free-agent meetings with the Rockets, with Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler among those in attendance.

“It was a privilege,” Horford said. “[Olajuwon] and Clyde were there, and my dad went to high school [Marian Christian] here in Houston, and he was pushing Houston hard. Hakeem, to him, was a big deal, and for me to be able to talk with him and spend some time. At the end of the day, just looking at the future and everything, I felt like here in Boston was going to be a better fit for me in the long run.”

Rockets guard James Harden was also part of Horford's recruitment.

“I thought we had a really good chance, but obviously it didn’t work out, which is fine,” Harden said.

Horford said the toughest thing was making the phone call to his father telling him he wouldn’t sign with the Rockets.

“Definitely my dad, he loves it here,” Horford said. “We have a lot of friends of the family here who live in the area, and he was heartbroken. He’s happy for me at the end of the day -- it was definitely a tough call.”

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Yahoo sports says it is the Mavs, Clippers and the Lakers

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 02:48:55 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Mavericks Emerge As Favorites To Sign Al Horford

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

If it's really the Mavs that this info is coming from then this has to be a negotiating ploy.  Why go to the Mavs and lose when you can stay with the Celtics and lose.

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

Just wondering who’s picks we’re getting when we file a tampering claim.  Mavericks would be good — Cuban is like the one owner the NBA might come down on.

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

Just wondering who’s picks we’re getting when we file a tampering claim.  Mavericks would be good — Cuban is like the one owner the NBA might come down on.

Lol Seriously.  What happened to the days when GMs would wait midnight calling players when free agency started!?!?

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

If it's really the Mavs that this info is coming from then this has to be a negotiating ploy.  Why go to the Mavs and lose when you can stay with the Celtics and lose.
Al Horford has made about 150 million from his NBA contracts.

Getting 100 million instead of 60 or 75 or 80 (whatever the C's offered) is a big deal.

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

I would REALLY push the issue if I were Ainge. Seriously, I don't see how that's not tampering

Horford suddenly goes from him and his dad saying they love Boston to saying goodbye, almost overnight?

How does that happen?

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

Lol Seriously.  What happened to the days when GMs would wait midnight calling players when free agency started!?!?

That's how I thought it was suppose to work. Apparently, now guys can recruit guys from other teams any time they feel like it

It's getting to the point where there's a part of me that hopes another lockout happens....soon.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 03:51:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

Depending on what you think of Doncic and KP's health, Dallas could be very good if they add someone like Al to the rest of that roster. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

I don’t even care about the midnight nonsense (or now 6pm on June 30th) when they’re free agents.  But this contact clearly came before, and arguably helped precipitate, Al Horford declining his option.  That’s straight up tampering.

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I mean you think the C's didn't know Hayward was coming before they had the official recruitment meeting?

I don't see the point of getting up in arms about it.

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tampering is like traveling.

If it's really egregious and public, they may do something about it.

Otherwise, it's just how the game is played.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain