Author Topic: Sox sign Victorino  (Read 17415 times)

Re: Sox sign Victorino
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As a Phillies fan, if Victorino has a bounce back year, you will be very happy with him.

He plays good defense and will make clutch hits.

He kind of gives me a Trot Nixon vibe.  Does that seem accurate?

Not a great hitter, or the most talented fielder in the world, but a very solid all around player, a good leader, and a guy who rises to the occasion.

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 02:55:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd rather have Adrian Gonzalez than Napoli + Victorino.

I'd rather have Napoli + Victorino than Gonzalez + Beckett + Crawford + Punto.

LA had claimed Beckett on waivers, so he's not really part of the equation.  The Sox could have let him go for nothing.

Punto was making next to nothing, so he wasn't a big concern, either.

So, Napoli + Victorino or Gonzalez + Crawford?  I'll take Door #2.

My understanding of the situation is that the Dodgers claiming Beckett on waivers was connected to the entire trade.  I don't think it was ever really a possibility of just letting Beckett go. 

Even if it was, I disagree with your conclusion -- I'll take future flexibility over Gonzalez + Crawford.  Mainly because I think it had become obvious that the core we had in place was not going to win anything.  We needed to clear the decks and start over.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just don't see the logic in letting go of Crawford and Gonzalez for $40 million per year so that you can sign Victorino and Napoli at $26 million per year. The talent downgrade and possible upside of these players having good seasons is massive.

I don't care what the current free agent market is, Victorino and Napoli do not deserve money equaling anything more than $5-6 million a year and any GM and team that pays them more than that are idiots. IMHO.

It's all about the YEARS.

Victorino and Napoli are locked up for 3 years.

Crawford and Gonzalez were locked up for another 6-7 years.

ENORMOUS difference.

Just because the Red Sox were able to move a huge portion of their contracts out this year and make their long term payroll liability much much less, doesn't make these signings any less bad. They might not hurt them but it doesn't mean they were smart signings fiscally.

People around here were lamenting the 5 year $70 million contract that J D Drew got since the moment he signed that contract and now just a couple years later Two $13 million a year contracts for three years are considered not being able to hurt the team?

I disagree whole heartedly. Massively overpaying players is bad business and it doesn't matter if that player is Carl Crawford, John Lackey, J D Drew or Shane Victorino or Mike Napoli. Its bad business and will eventually come back to bite you in the butt.

You're forgetting that baseball, like basketball is a business first and foremost.

Sure, the Red Sox could forego spending money on free agents period, in which case they'd put a low cost team on the field that would be lucky to win 75 games, and even worse, be incredibly boring (a bunch of .250 hitters barely ever knocking it out of the field).

If they did that, though, they'd destroy what remaining good will they had with the fan base.  They need to put a product on the field that is reasonably entertaining while they transition to the next championship caliber core.  They can't just punt for three years.  Not in this market.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:02:48 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Ichiro resigned with the yanks at 2 years, 6.5 mil per.  He will prob give the Yanks more then what Victorino is going to give us.  The sox are overpaying all these guys basically because they are high character guys.  Sure it's better then having jerks like Beckett, Gonzo, etc around, but we need producers.
do it

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Napoli apparently coming to Sox on a one year deal now. Depending on the price tag, much better than the initial three year deal, IMHO.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Napoli apparently coming to Sox on a one year deal now. Depending on the price tag, much better than the initial three year deal, IMHO.

Last I heard, it might actually be less AAV than the 3 year deal.  The physical must have been REALLY bad.

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 01:17:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Last I heard, it might actually be less AAV than the 3 year deal.  The physical must have been REALLY bad.

$5 million base salary, can go up to $13 million with incentives.  1 year deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

$5 million base salary, can go up to $13 million with incentives.  1 year deal.

Wow.  So there must be something seriously wrong.  I am not sure what I think of this now.  If he is healthy enough to play, its a great deal, but this really makes me think he is a big time injury risk.