Author Topic: Have you bought into Lebron HypeMachine???  (Read 32556 times)

Re: Have you bought into Lebron HypeMachine???
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lebron is the best player in the game.

He has become just about impossible to guard with his combination of size, speed, shooting (an improving aspect) and vision to hit the open man with a pass. 

And once he decided to play defense, he has become probably the best defensive SF in the NBA, because of his size and speed.

Lebron is ether bigger then his man or faster then his man or (most likely) bigger and faster then his man.

Kobe is still number 2. 

Wade, Melo and Durrant are the next class below.  Durrant has the best chance of jumping up if he ever decided to play defense.

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Even those who dislike the media hype Lebron receives can admit that it's possible to hate the hype, while still acknowledging Lebron as the best player in the league, right?

I think all of the "chosen one" and "best passer ever" stuff is crazy, and I think Lebron has been anointed way too quickly.  At the same time, I think Lebron is the best current player in the NBA, and I think that he's arguably one of the top 10 players of all time, in terms of talent.  He's not up there with Russell / Bird / Magic / Jordan in my mind, but he's worked his way into the next tier of guys, in my mind.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Kobe is still number 2. 

Are we ranking 2 guards?  ;)

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »

Offline chelsearules

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12
the bigger question is has lebron bought into the lebron hypemachine?

stay humble my friend

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Kobe is still number 2. 

Are we ranking 2 guards?  ;)

No, but I still rank him ahead of Howard at this point. 

As well as Paul.

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

stay humble my friend

To be fair, our captain has the same tat.

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Even those who dislike the media hype Lebron receives can admit that it's possible to hate the hype, while still acknowledging Lebron as the best player in the league, right?

I think all of the "chosen one" and "best passer ever" stuff is crazy, and I think Lebron has been anointed way too quickly.  At the same time, I think Lebron is the best current player in the NBA, and I think that he's arguably one of the top 10 players of all time, in terms of talent.  He's not up there with Russell / Bird / Magic / Jordan in my mind, but he's worked his way into the next tier of guys, in my mind.
It doesn't help that Lebron's team is probably our number one nemesis the last few years.
We can't rank him with Russell/Bird/Magic/Jordan yet because Lebron's body of work is incomplete, and he hasn't won championships YET.  But I can also see that on a five man team of Russell/Bird/Magic/Jordan/and Lebron, Lebron wouldn't be a weak link.  He'd fit right in with that group talent wise.

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach

stay humble my friend

I have to say that I like Paul Pierce's tattoo better, even though the 'chosen one' below the graphic is almost bordering on a 'tramp-stamp', lol. At least Paul Pierce's tat is somewhat artistic as opposed to LeBron's which is just in all caps and a weird font...
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
By the way Kobe is still better than LeBron. In both of their matchups this season Kobe scored way more points than LeBron did. Now I know that might not seem like much but to make a comparison Shaquille O'neal scored 29 points and had 24 boards in his first game ever against Michael Jordan's Bulls. The Magic won that game in overtime because of a late turnover by one of Jordan's teammates, however Michael scored 64 points in that game.

Now, looking back on that game after Jordan's career  who is considered the better player?? Kobe is a better player than LeBron; he has accomplished more during his career than LeBron has and has played with better players than LeBron has.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

He has become just about impossible to guard with his combination of size, speed, shooting (an improving aspect) and vision to hit the open man with a pass. 

And once he decided to play defense, he has become probably the best defensive SF in the NBA, because of his size and speed.

Lebron is ether bigger then his man or faster then his man or (most likely) bigger and faster then his man.

Kobe is still number 2. 

Wade, Melo and Durrant are the next class below.  Durrant has the best chance of jumping up if he ever decided to play defense.
If most games were called on a even playing field(correctly)Lebron wouldn't be as productive offensively...in the 70's,80's Lebron wouldn't be close to the success he's had so far today.I feel he is in a era of players with less talented players,and defense is not top priority to most teams.I think Melo,Durant,Wade,Pierce and a few others would be more successful than James in a different era of players because of  their natural ability without aid from bias officiating.

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2010, 02:42:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Kobe is still number 2. 

If most games were called on a even playing field(correctly)Lebron wouldn't be as productive offensively...in the 70's,80's Lebron wouldn't be close to the success he's had so far today.I feel he is in a era of players with less talented players,and defense is not top priority to most teams.I think Melo,Durant,Wade,Pierce and a few others would be more successful than James in a different era of players because of  their natural ability without aid from bias officiating.

You put a guy with the physical attributes and talent of Lebron back in the 70s and 80s and you're still gonna have a helluva basketball players.  Bias officiating or not, he's going to be pretty dominating. 

I think teams would slap him around more and he might second guess driving the lane as much but I'd assume he'd find a way to compensate for that. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »

Offline chelsearules

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12

stay humble my friend

true but pp had that tattoo to cover his scars after almost dying i cut the man some slack for that one 8)

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
By the way Kobe is still better than LeBron. In both of their matchups this season Kobe scored way more points than LeBron did. Now I know that might not seem like much but to make a comparison Shaquille O'neal scored 29 points and had 24 boards in his first game ever against Michael Jordan's Bulls. The Magic won that game in overtime because of a late turnover by one of Jordan's teammates, however Michael scored 64 points in that game.

Now, looking back on that game after Jordan's career  who is considered the better player?? Kobe is a better player than LeBron; he has accomplished more during his career than LeBron has and has played with better players than LeBron has.

Wait, so:

- Michael Jordan outscored Shaq in a game.
- Micheal Jordan is considered a greater player than Shaq.
- Kobe outscored LeBron twice this year, therefore:
- Kobe is a better player than LeBron.

If this is your reasoning, did you know that Todd Day once outscored Kevin Garnett 41-17?  With a margin like that, Todd must've been a much better player.  And don't even get me started on Wilt vs Russell - Russell almost never outscored Wilt at all!  In fact, Russell was never one of the top scorers in the league.  He must be really overrated.

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Kobe is still number 2. 

So your saying an era where Lebron will be even bigger and faster by comparision to other SFs and he is allowed to be more physical on defense is a bad thing for him?

He (much like the scorers of that era) would be able to adjust to the more physical play.  He has more then enough size to deal with that. 

He would still be bigger.  He would still be faster.  And he would still have the improving shot and good vision. 

It is a guy like Wade that would have problems.  He would have been injured even more. 

« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Wait, so:

- Michael Jordan outscored Shaq in a game.
- Micheal Jordan is considered a greater player than Shaq.
- Kobe outscored LeBron twice this year, therefore:
- Kobe is a better player than LeBron.

If this is your reasoning, did you know that Todd Day once outscored Kevin Garnett 41-17?  With a margin like that, Todd must've been a much better player.  And don't even get me started on Wilt vs Russell - Russell almost never outscored Wilt at all!  In fact, Russell was never one of the top scorers in the league.  He must be really overrated.

Do we need a list of players that averaged more points the Bill Russel?