Author Topic: Merged Bryan Colangelo Twitter Scandal / Resignation Threads  (Read 24721 times)

Re: Merged Bryan Colangelo Twitter Scandal / Resignation Threads
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
How’s Philly looking, Lebron? Lol

With JC still associated with Philly, I'm not even sure that hiring Griffin would convince Lebron to go there now.
It would be so perfect if they got no new free agents, and lost their veteran shooters

As long as they don't add Lebron or Leonard, it's fantastic news for us.

Even if they add any ONE of George/McCollum/Beal/Lowry/DeRozan (through trade or FA signing), that impact should be mitigated by us bringing back a healthy Kyrie + Hayward.

Then of course, we hope Lebron stays in CLE or heads West, and preferably teams like the Wizards and Raptors blow it up a bit.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: You have to read this Bryan Colangelo fake Twitter accounts report
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Ownership fears that Colangelo's credibility inside and outside the organization may be too badly damaged to continue his job, especially within a month of a July free-agency period when the Sixers plan to pursue superstars such as LeBron James and Paul George to partner with young stars Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons.

Next Philly GM: Maverick Carter.
David Griffin might serve that same purpose, and he is actually a good GM.

I have read that BC is Griffin's mentor and is considered part of the family.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Donnellon-Cavs-GM-David-Griffin-talks-about-Sixers-Bryan-Colangelo-.html

Not sure they can get away with firing BC and then hiring his protege?
If it lands them a top tier FA?

Yea. I would be very surprised. Colangelo is going to have an ax to grind with them and I don't know what his dad's role is with the team right now either. There is probably still stuff to come out from this. I don't think they are going to get things more convoluted by bringing in a guy that has a close relationship with Bryan and has repeatedly proclaimed his admiration for him. Also let's not act like Griffin is Windhorst to Lebron. I think Lebron thought he did a solid job in cleveland and certainly would think he was a good hire, but I haven't seen that makes it out like Griffin would be a slam dunk to get Lebron by any stretch (otherwise other teams would get in a bidding war for him)
It obviously wouldn't be a slam dunk, but James likes Griffin a lot.  He to this day talks very highly of Griffin.  He wanted Griffin to be retained and there are a lot of reports out there, that James believes Griffin would have figured out how to make it work between himself and Irving (who James apparently didn't want traded). 

when you couple that Philly is one of the few teams that really make sense for James (they can sign him outright, have a lot of talent, and were a good team last year) it makes perfect sense for Philly to hire a qualified GM with a known relationship with James.  Even if Griffin doesn't lead to James, this is a very critical summer for the Sixers, so hiring someone with championship experience isn't a bad move on its own.

Again you missed the biggest point of what i was saying. I guess i have to think you do this intentionally?

Griffin is the protege of Colangelo and greatly admires him. They are trying to get the Colangelos out of the organization. The other stuff is very secondary and distant.
There isn't fraud or anything like that though.  I mean the articles talking about candidates include 2 people that currently work for the Sixers (along with Griffin and Zarren from the C's).  If they are worried about a connection to the Colaneglo's why on earth would they hire internally?  This is a strange situation where a guy's wife went on twitter and did some dumb things.  Griffin's reverence for BC shouldn't really come into play in that situation.

Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth. you were literally adamantly arguing few days ago about Colangelo violating HIPAA for both Fultz and Okafor (with me). A few days later when you want griffin it is just his wife doing some "dumb things." Lol.

Ah it's nice to log in and see @celticsclay and @moranis going at it in a thread. Or as we call it, a typical Thursday in the forums  :laugh:  ;)

Its funny I actually don't really disagree with any else consistently. I have specific different opinions on some topics but nobody i always disagree with. I have realized overtime he actually just likes to be contrarian and contradicts his own viewpoints (see above) just to argue. That being said, it has gotten some really good points out from other posters over the threads (see colincb's epic takedown of the simmons did not have a bad series against the celtics debate).

Related, I am really hoping that Lebron goes to someone besides Philly not just cause they are in our division and I view it as bad for the league, I think it would make this board downright unbearable by combining two of people's obsessions.

« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Good day for the Sixers.  Liberty Ballers are celebrating almost like they won a championship. 
After things die down a bit, they should quietly get rid of Daddy C too.  Good move to put Coach Brown in charge temporarily. 

If making Griffin GM would get them Lebron, they've got to do it.  Otherwise wouldn't be surprised if someone associated with the Spurs is selected.   

« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2018, 06:37:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

With JC still associated with Philly, I'm not even sure that hiring Griffin would convince Lebron to go there now.
It would be so perfect if they got no new free agents, and lost their veteran shooters

Even if they add any ONE of George/McCollum/Beal/Lowry/DeRozan (through trade or FA signing), that impact should be mitigated by us bringing back a healthy Kyrie + Hayward.

Then of course, we hope Lebron stays in CLE or heads West, and preferably teams like the Wizards and Raptors blow it up a bit.
Seeing them waste assets on DeRozan would be funny, because he doesn’t fit their offence at all. A PG who can’t shoot, a SG who shoots mostly from mid-range and inside, and a back to the basket big man who thinks he’s a better shooter than he is.

Would be sad to see Toronto lose another star, especially now that he’s set some franchise records
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
They have 6 draft picks and free agency trying to Court lebron or Paul George. A new GM has to hire people and scouts and make their draft choices in the span of what? 12 day’s?
They don't need to hire a new GM that quickly.  When a new GM is hired most of the people (coaches, scouts, trainers, analytics staff, etc) will remain. 

« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Ownership fears that Colangelo's credibility inside and outside the organization may be too badly damaged to continue his job, especially within a month of a July free-agency period when the Sixers plan to pursue superstars such as LeBron James and Paul George to partner with young stars Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Donnellon-Cavs-GM-David-Griffin-talks-about-Sixers-Bryan-Colangelo-.html

Yea. I would be very surprised. Colangelo is going to have an ax to grind with them and I don't know what his dad's role is with the team right now either. There is probably still stuff to come out from this. I don't think they are going to get things more convoluted by bringing in a guy that has a close relationship with Bryan and has repeatedly proclaimed his admiration for him. Also let's not act like Griffin is Windhorst to Lebron. I think Lebron thought he did a solid job in cleveland and certainly would think he was a good hire, but I haven't seen that makes it out like Griffin would be a slam dunk to get Lebron by any stretch (otherwise other teams would get in a bidding war for him)
It obviously wouldn't be a slam dunk, but James likes Griffin a lot.  He to this day talks very highly of Griffin.  He wanted Griffin to be retained and there are a lot of reports out there, that James believes Griffin would have figured out how to make it work between himself and Irving (who James apparently didn't want traded). 

when you couple that Philly is one of the few teams that really make sense for James (they can sign him outright, have a lot of talent, and were a good team last year) it makes perfect sense for Philly to hire a qualified GM with a known relationship with James.  Even if Griffin doesn't lead to James, this is a very critical summer for the Sixers, so hiring someone with championship experience isn't a bad move on its own.

Again you missed the biggest point of what i was saying. I guess i have to think you do this intentionally?

Griffin is the protege of Colangelo and greatly admires him. They are trying to get the Colangelos out of the organization. The other stuff is very secondary and distant.
There isn't fraud or anything like that though.  I mean the articles talking about candidates include 2 people that currently work for the Sixers (along with Griffin and Zarren from the C's).  If they are worried about a connection to the Colaneglo's why on earth would they hire internally?  This is a strange situation where a guy's wife went on twitter and did some dumb things.  Griffin's reverence for BC shouldn't really come into play in that situation.

Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth. you were literally adamantly arguing few days ago about Colangelo violating HIPAA for both Fultz and Okafor (with me). A few days later when you want griffin it is just his wife doing some "dumb things." Lol.

Ah it's nice to log in and see @celticsclay and @moranis going at it in a thread. Or as we call it, a typical Thursday in the forums  :laugh:  ;)

Its funny I actually don't really disagree with any else consistently. I have specific different opinions on some topics but nobody i always disagree with. I have realized overtime he actually just likes to be contrarian and contradicts his own viewpoints (see above) just to argue. That being said, it has gotten some really good points out from other posters over the threads (see colincb's epic takedown of the simmons did not have a bad series against the celtics debate).

Related, I am really hoping that Lebron goes to someone besides Philly not just cause they are in our division and I view it as bad for the league, I think it would make this board downright unbearable by combining two of people's obsessions.

Lol oh yeah it's perfectly fine. Was just having some fun saying that  ;D

Seeing them waste assets on DeRozan would be funny, because he doesn’t fit their offence at all. A PG who can’t shoot, a SG who shoots mostly from mid-range and inside, and a back to the basket big man who thinks he’s a better shooter than he is.

Would be sad to see Toronto lose another star, especially now that he’s set some franchise records

Yeah, DeRozan doesn't fit their team to be honest, but I was just listing some other trade targets/FA targets that could be available besides Lebron and Leonard. One thing's for sure, there will be A LOT of movement in the NBA I believe this summer. That and a lot of surprises for sure.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I guess I'm hoping Lebron goes to the Lakers and in the resultant shuffle Ingram gets moved.  Really like Ingram but hard to root for him while he's a Laker. 

« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Should they bring Hinkie back?
He built that team.

« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Billy king is available

« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

not inconsistent statements
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2018, 09:22:27 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This is all very strange. From what I've heard, his wife was the culprit. It was not fake news, but somehow his wife was doing all this stuff. How she knew all this inside info is still a mystery.  Wives generally aren't privy to what goes on in their husband's jobs. Nor are they usually much concerned.

Whether Colangelo knew what she was doing is the first question that pops up.

« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
This is all very strange. From what I've heard, his wife was the culprit. It was not fake news, but somehow his wife was doing all this stuff. How she knew all this inside info is still a mystery.  Wives generally aren't privy to what goes on in their husband's jobs. Nor are they usually much concerned.

My wife and I pretty much know if there's any drama in the other's work life. Okafor and Embiid were big investments by PHI, so it's not like they were under the radar.

I think the second part of the bolded is becoming less and less true. June Cleaver doesn't really exist in my age group (30's). I think there's more of an overlap between the public and private life with respect to the traditional roles of husbands and wives. I don't blame Colangelo for confiding in his wife as an advisor. I do blame him for not shutting down 5 Twitter accounts. He was reckless. In my eyes, the 76ers didn't really have a choice but ask him to resign/fire him.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:05:54 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Some Front Office Members Encouraged Bryan Colangelo To Consider Passing On Markelle Fultz

Markelle Fultz reportedly struggled in his workout with the Philadelphia 76ers last June, which league sources say caused some members of the front office to take a second look at drafting Jayson Tatum or Lonzo Ball. The 76ers were in the process of finalizing their trade with the Boston Celtics for the No. 3 overall pick, but Fultz struggled badly with his jumper during the workout.

Fultz's struggles during his workout with his shot were a precursor to the issues he struggled with throughout what was effectively a lost rookie season.

The idea of reconsidering Tatum or Ball was shot down by Colangelo, according to sources.

The 76ers were convinced they wanted to draft Fultz.
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/7/17440422/sixers-bryan-colangelo-free-agency

« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

My wife and I pretty much know if there's any drama in the other's work life. Okafor and Embiid were big investments by PHI, so it's not like they were under the radar.

I think the second part of the bolded is becoming less and less true. June Cleaver doesn't really exist in my age group (30's). I think there's more of an overlap between the public and private life with respect to the traditional roles of husbands and wives. I don't blame Colangelo for confiding in his wife as an advisor. I do blame him for not shutting down 5 Twitter accounts. He was reckless. In my eyes, the 76ers didn't really have a choice but ask him to resign/fire him.

yea unless you are in like the FBI or a laywer (in which case they probably still talk about non case stuff, eg a funny thing a coworker said), most wives/husbands are not going to be ok with you never talking about your job.

« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

yea unless you are in like the FBI or a laywer (in which case they probably still talk about non case stuff, eg a funny thing a coworker said), most wives/husbands are not going to be ok with you never talking about your job.
In Colangelo's statement where he threw his wife under the bus, he said:

"At no point did I ever purposefully or directly share any sensitive, non-public, club-related information with her."