Author Topic: What two teams are you buying and selling this season??  (Read 5212 times)

Re: What two teams are you buying and selling this season??
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 12:45:24 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Buy: Cleveland.  I think they are going to have a much better team then most people think and am now fully expecting them to make the playoffs. 

Sell: Dallas.  I think they are going to be terrible.  Fighting for worst record bad.

Cleveland's interesting.  They do have talented players.  I can see it.  What I find more interesting to think about though is what would we hear about LeBron if this happens.

His legacy is pretty much set at this point, but maybe it diminishes his aura (especially if the Lakers struggle)?  Basically if the Cavs do well, will we hear a lot more chatter that LeBron was a terrible teammate and the team was unable to function with him and that he's really just a coach killing diva?  The hater in me is excited about that possibility.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Buying: Lakers -- look much better than I expected. Excited to see Ball play next to LeBron and to a lesser degree Rondo. Ingram too whom I really like.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I am selling Philadelphia also. I think people really overlooked how much they benefited during their end of season run from playing bad teams that had shut down some of their players and/or were fiercely tanking. They were probably more of a 47-48 win team than a 52 which would make a big difference in their hype levels. While Illy and Bellinelli were bad players during the playoffs, they probably help win regular season games more than their replacements/young players.
They will probably be a second round exit this season also.

Buying, I probably go with Dallas. I don't think they will make the playoffs but I think Doncic is the rare difference maker for a rookie, Deandre Jordan will really help the defense, and Carlisle will not tank as hard as last year in what is Nowistki's final season. They will struggle in west for sure, but will beat up on east bottom feeders to get a 10-12 team jump. 

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Buying: Lakers - I see even Lakers fans underselling this team.  I don't see them as strong contenders necessarily, but I think they nab a top 4 seed and only the Warriors can bounce them from the West.  Ingram will look like a legit #2 piece this season.

Sell: Pacers - I just don't see them making any strides from last year when everything went right for them and that people are saddling them with unrealistic expectations.  Instead of the 3,4 seeds many people are picking them as I think they will finish around 6-8 behind the Celtics, Sixers, Raptors, Bucks, and Wizards (who I suppose is a buy candidate as well)

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I keep saying watch for Landry Shamet. He was one of the best shooters in college last year. He's probably not ready to do much at an NBA level but if he turns into a guy who can shoot at that level and be competent-ish enough on D to not get run off the floor they get a lot more dangerous.

KOC had a blurb on him, I have Shamet in the DKC League (always seeking new GMs), and I have been really surprised as how competent he is putting the ball on the floor. He has a lightening quick release and he's got that drive and motor to run around a million picks just to get one shot, but he's also a smart passer and competent finisher in traffic. Looking like Philly stole one there.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Buying: Lakers - I see even Lakers fans underselling this team.  I don't see them as strong contenders necessarily, but I think they nab a top 4 seed and only the Warriors can bounce them from the West.  Ingram will look like a legit #2 piece this season.

Sell: Pacers - I just don't see them making any strides from last year when everything went right for them and that people are saddling them with unrealistic expectations.  Instead of the 3,4 seeds many people are picking them as I think they will finish around 6-8 behind the Celtics, Sixers, Raptors, Bucks, and Wizards (who I suppose is a buy candidate as well)

Pacers got Myles Turner absolutely ripped and in great shape when he was doughy and wiped by last year's playoffs. They added Tyreke Evans who really fills a great role for them as a secondary distributor/ball handler. Kyle O'quinn is an above average backup center. Sabonis should still improve. McDermott is a really nice shooter off the bench. Don't get how they can't be at least as good as last year given all those additions.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Pacers got Myles Turner absolutely ripped and in great shape when he was doughy and wiped by last year's playoffs. They added Tyreke Evans who really fills a great role for them as a secondary distributor/ball handler. Kyle O'quinn is an above average backup center. Sabonis should still improve. McDermott is a really nice shooter off the bench. Don't get how they can't be at least as good as last year given all those additions.

Agree on the Pacers. I also think Turner's going to have an MIP caliber season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Buy: Cleveland.  I think they are going to have a much better team then most people think and am now fully expecting them to make the playoffs. 

Sell: Dallas.  I think they are going to be terrible.  Fighting for worst record bad.

Cleveland's interesting.  They do have talented players.  I can see it.  What I find more interesting to think about though is what would we hear about LeBron if this happens.

His legacy is pretty much set at this point, but maybe it diminishes his aura (especially if the Lakers struggle)?  Basically if the Cavs do well, will we hear a lot more chatter that LeBron was a terrible teammate and the team was unable to function with him and that he's really just a coach killing diva?  The hater in me is excited about that possibility.
Oh don't get me wrong they aren't a contender, but I don't think they are bad team and I think they make the playoffs as the 7 or 8 seed (basically competing with Miami, Detroit, and Charlotte for those spots). 

I've been saying all off season that I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Cavs make the playoffs and the Lakers miss them.  I really don't like what Magic did around James with the free agents (I do think Ingram and Ball will be fine, and Kuzma is good off the bench, but the rest of that team is hot garbage, and yes that includes Rondo).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Oh don't get me wrong they aren't a contender, but I don't think they are bad team and I think they make the playoffs as the 7 or 8 seed (basically competing with Miami, Detroit, and Charlotte for those spots). 

I've been saying all off season that I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Cavs make the playoffs and the Lakers miss them.  I really don't like what Magic did around James with the free agents (I do think Ingram and Ball will be fine, and Kuzma is good off the bench, but the rest of that team is hot garbage, and yes that includes Rondo).

if cavs make playoffs and lakers don't, does that diminish lebron's reputation/goat argument?

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73

By sell I don't mean I think they'll suck; I just think they are getting too hype this offseason and the teams around them in the east other than the Celtics/Sixers are being underestimated.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 03:52:40 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Buying: Milwaukee, Utah, Washington

Selling: Houston, Philly, Indy

I would be happy to get 4 out of 6.  I can already see I'm going against the grain selling Indy.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

if cavs make playoffs and lakers don't, does that diminish lebron's reputation/goat argument?
not much if at all.  He is 16 years in at this point.  As you keep harping in all of the threads about Lebron's imminent demise, as according to you he is at the age when players decline. 

There is also the East vs. West factor.  The East is much weaker then the West (depth wise not at the top where reasonably 3 of the 5 best teams could be in the East).  The Cavs could make the playoffs with less wins then the Lakers have who might not make the playoffs (last year 46 win Denver was left out, they would have been the 6 seed by 2 games in the East).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Bying celtics to win the championship
Selling warriors for losing it

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's entirely possible for that to happen despite the Lakers having a better record. But I doubt anything short of a total multi-season disaster hurts LeBron too much at this point.

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 05:15:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Buying us and raptors,

Selling Sixers, and Lakers.