Author Topic: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?  (Read 17672 times)

Re: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2013, 07:15:11 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Thanks, I'd rather keep Garnett.

Why? For what?
Because 2 1/2 years of Kevin Garnett is better for the team than whatever that whatever that hodgepodge of injured and/or unproven players will be able to give you.

Give you what? A second-round exit?

Better then a good 20 years of barely sniffing the second round......I do enjoy watching the celtics in the playoffs as a fan i find enjoyment in things beyond championship or bust.

rebuilds suck

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Kevin Garnett reportedly will not waive his no-trade clause unless the Celtics have already traded Paul Pierce. KG is more than content to keep fighting for the Celtics, who have won four straight without Rajon Rondo. If he does agree to be dealt, he reportedly won't go anywhere but L.A., as he lives in Malibu. A rumor this weekend suggested the Clippers wanted to trade for him in a deal including Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler, but Celts' GM Danny Ainge will listen to anything and there are no sourced reports to go on. File this in your rumor bin.

Related: Paul Pierce Source: Shaun Powell on Twitter

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
you will never get equal value for kg...you will will never replace what kg brings...

never...ever...

try thinking of the players traded for wilt, kareem, shaq, carmelo and d12...most people will never remember who they were or are...

let's try a little parody on AI's infamous words, "practice"

you traded kg for "players"?

only a handful of players in nba history can be called the alpha dogs of competitors...in recent history...only bird, mj and kobe come to mind...bird played for 13 yrs...mj played 15 yrs...kobe is in his 17th yr...

kg is in his 18th yr...and kg's fire burns as hot as ever...

what does that tell you?

it means...

someone please stop the maddness...

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
you do not trade kevin garnett. period.

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This is on Yahoo today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/trade-season-round-featuring-kevin-garnett-dwight-howard-182216771--nba.html

Kelly Dwyer called Bledsoe "mini-Lebron" and wasn't kidding. He should stick to BDL columns, since he's obviously only good for comic relief.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This is on Yahoo today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/trade-season-round-featuring-kevin-garnett-dwight-howard-182216771--nba.html

Kelly Dwyer called Bledsoe "mini-Lebron" and wasn't kidding. He should stick to BDL columns, since he's obviously only good for comic relief.
definitely not lebron, but reminds me a lot of Jrue holiday
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:28:45 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Kevin Garnett reportedly will not waive his no-trade clause unless the Celtics have already traded Paul Pierce. KG is more than content to keep fighting for the Celtics, who have won four straight without Rajon Rondo. If he does agree to be dealt, he reportedly won't go anywhere but L.A., as he lives in Malibu. A rumor this weekend suggested the Clippers wanted to trade for him in a deal including Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler, but Celts' GM Danny Ainge will listen to anything and there are no sourced reports to go on. File this in your rumor bin.

Related: Paul Pierce Source: Shaun Powell on Twitter

Just saw this. Makes sense.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
This is on Yahoo today:

"Mini-Lebron" isn't something that was made up by Dwyer. It was actually made up by Jamal Crawford and even Lebron himself has used the nickname. Mostly, because it's true. The guys everything Lebron is athletically, in a much, much smaller package

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
This is on Yahoo today:

"Mini-Lebron" isn't something that was made up by Dwyer. It was actually made up by Jamal Crawford and even Lebron himself has used the nickname. Mostly, because it's true. The guys everything Lebron is athletically, in a much, much smaller package

People say that about me, too! I am everything Lebron is, in a much, smaller, nerdier, less athletic, less coordinated, less wealthy package.

I own a sweet bicycle and a Samsung phone. Also, I choose not to live in Cleveland.

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Why are people so anxious for us to get young and suck?  I am 41yrs old, I've been through the young and suck phase and I am in no hurry to go there again.

At least if we keep Garnett and Pierce we have a puncher's chance.  We can pick up a buyout guy for front court depth.  Who knows, maybe get Miami in the first series and Lebron snaps an ankle on his first dunk.  Or Wade blows out a knee.  We already saw Rose go down like this in the playoffs.

Besides that, I think we actually match up well with the Heat, especially with Green and Terry starting to play well.

We can be young and suck at any time, I'd rather play to win while we have the horses for it.

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
The best trade?

Boston keeps: Kevin Garnett
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The best trade?

Boston keeps: Kevin Garnett

Amen!

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why are people so anxious for us to get young and suck?  I am 41yrs old, I've been through the young and suck phase and I am in no hurry to go there again.

Young and suck was bad but watching Bird, Parish and McHale and DJ get old was bad as well.   I think watching McHale's final season was worse than the young guys playing.

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
And I've gone over this before with you, but it doesn't seem to sink in.  Whatever you may think of Perkins, Lamb and PJII, they're better than nothing.  3 years from now, a Celtic team with those 3 guys will be far more "competitive" than a team where KG has just retired and Boston has nothing more than some salary cap space.
That's because you somehow mistakently believe that those guys have any potential as NBA players 3 years from now.

As a matter of fact, I find all three will be out of the league by that time more likely than at least one of them being a reasonable NBA starter by the time when Garnett's contract expires.
You're saying that Perkins won't be a reasonable NBA starter?   He's currently a starter on the best team in the NBA.  Perkins contract expires at the end of that 3 year period, so if he's not a "reasonable starter" 3 years from now, we can let him walk and still have the other 3 assets.

And the others don't have "any" potential?  Come on.  I understand taking on a prospect is a risk they may never pan out, but they don't have zero potential.  I'd say that Lamb and PJ3 have shown similar potential to what Bradley showed by this point in his career.  They are 20 and 21 years old.  And that lottery pick is a great asset.  There is no way on earth that a guaranteed lottery pick is coming back in exchange for KG in any other deal.

I'm not saying I'd do it.... but I'm not saying I definitely wouldn't do it either.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Because we'll have to get young and suck eventually.

Currently we're a team in transition.  The supporting cast is largely young, while the essential core is old.  We're straddling the fence.

As a result, we have a mediocre, middle of the road team.  NBA purgatory.  Might get hot and win a 1st round series.  Might get killed in the first round by a top seed, or miss the playoffs entirely.  The only thing that's certain is we aren't winning a title and we aren't getting a top 10 draft pick.

From that perspective, getting young and sucking sooner rather than later makes sense, unless you want to maintain the current status quo just for the sake of having a team that wins roughly half its games and has a shot at playing 4-6 games in the playoffs. 

That viewpoint is valid.  Though it doesn't make much sense to me because unlike many fanbases we are lucky enough to not be starved for playoff basketball.  We shouldn't need the team to make the playoffs just for the sake of making the playoffs. 

Unless you believe in just going down with the ship and seeing Pierce and KG play as many games as possible in Celtics uniforms before retiring, which is valid, too.  But reasonable people can disagree on the importance of that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain