Author Topic: Barefoot heights on the Celtics  (Read 9753 times)

Barefoot heights on the Celtics
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think most people are around where they're listed.

Paul Pierce was measured at 6'6" in the '98 predraft camp. That looks right. Ray's listed height is at 6'5", though he was measured at 6'3.5" prior to the '00 olympics. Olympic heights tend to be off for some reason. One time they measured KG at 6'9.75." Yeah right!

In all objectivity, I think Ray's about 6'4". Maybe 6'4.5", but probably closer to 6'4".

I had the opportunity to sit a few rows from the court two nights ago (sucks they lost) and Rondo, who always seemed a lot taller than House, is really only about Eddie's height. 5'11.75" was House's barefoot height coming out of college. Rondo's about that, or mayyybee a smidge taller. Maybe an even 6 foot.

The one guy who really struck me as way below his listed height was Leon. I remember Jon Barry mentioning during a broadcast this year that he thinks he's only like 6'5." I couldn't really see it on TV but having seen him up close it's clear he's a lot shorter than 6'8". He looked shorter than Pierce when they were once lined up at the FT line. It wasn't by much but trust me, Leon's no 6'8."

Re: Barefoot heights on the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
It's BBD that's really overrating his height...

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:23 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
I didn't really notice BBD and how he compared to Perk, Powe, etc... but yeah he was measured at 6'7.5" in 2007 at the combine. And he lists himself at 6'9"... lol!

This below pic isn't the greatest in the world, but it shows how short Leon is compared to even Big Baby.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
The BBD and Leon combo in games is obviously nothing more than hustle and brute strength.  No length is involved.  This is especially noticable in person.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
Powe actually looks shorter than Pierce who is more like 6'7
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:05:15 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I didn't really notice BBD and how he compared to Perk, Powe, etc... but yeah he was measured at 6'7.5" in 2007 at the combine. And he lists himself at 6'9"... lol!

This below pic isn't the greatest in the world, but it shows how short Leon is compared to even Big Baby.

Davis was not at the combine.  If you are going by the DraftExpress listing, read the fine print.  His height is taken from "an unofficial measurement that look reasonable".  There were numerous reports before the draft about his measuring better than expected in private workouts (and that is likely where those numbers came from), but there was never any reliable official measurement.

Not to mention height listings are always done with shoes, not without.  So the 6'9" is not rediculous.  In fact, it is what Draft Express has him as in their database.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:21:25 PM by Chris »

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Leon is still a helluva better player then BBD even if he's shorter.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was down by the Celtic bench for one game this year. I have a brother-in law and good friend who are both 6'4". Baby looked to be only a couple of inches taller than them and that was with shoes on. He's got to be somewhere between 6'6" and 6'7". And Leon is definitely shorter than that but not by much. Actually when I saw them standing fairly close during pregame workout that night Baby, Pierce and Leon all appear about the same size.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »

• Don Chaney

i dont know, i think this is overrated...they're very close.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
Davis was not at the combine.  If you are going by the DraftExpress listing, read the fine print.  His height is taken from "an unofficial measurement that look reasonable".  There were numerous reports before the draft about his measuring better than expected in private workouts (and that is likely where those numbers came from), but there was never any reliable official measurement.

Not to mention height listings are always done with shoes, not without.  So the 6'9" is not rediculous.  In fact, it is what Draft Express has him as in their database.
It IS ridiculous. The reports you speak of were probably generated by LSU colleagues who were attempting to raise his stock so that he'd be taken in the first round. That sort of thing happens every year with the same players. Usually bigs.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

When they're both at their best, Baby is a good complementary player who'll score points off of broken plays or double teams (on KG) whereas Powe at HIS best is a reliable scoring option and can score a lot in little time, which I don't think Big Baby has the capability of doing, ever. But that's just me.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

When they're both at their best, Baby is a good complementary player who'll score points off of broken plays or double teams (on KG) whereas Powe at HIS best is a reliable scoring option and can score a lot in little time, which I don't think Big Baby has the capability of doing, ever. But that's just me.
Hell even though I like Leon more, i've grown used to having them as a bundle pack.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Hell even though I like Leon more, i've grown used to having them as a bundle pack.
Sort of like matching bookends.

I know, we can give them a nickname. Like Big Baby Powe. Or the UPCs (Undersized Powerful Celtics). Leon Davis? Babeon??

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It IS ridiculous. The reports you speak of were probably generated by LSU colleagues who were attempting to raise his stock so that he'd be taken in the first round. That sort of thing happens every year with the same players. Usually bigs.

My point was that if you are buying the 6'7.5" measurement in barefeet, then you have to buy the 6'9" in shoes. 

For the record, I think barefoot heights (or heights in shoes) are useless after the draft.  We can see that Davis and Powe are short, and KG is really tall.  We don't need to argue measurements to know this.  The question is, can they play in the NBA, and we know the answer for all of them is yes.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »

• Don Chaney

Agree to disagree, I think Baby might actually be better, especially defensively. I know Powe is a fan favorite and all, but he has regressed this season and because he had a good game in the finals hes overrated