Author Topic: What if no FA?  (Read 2697 times)

Re: What if no FA?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Haven't we been hearing for years that if only the C's had cap space, they could attract a quality free agent? Well, we have cap space now, so if we fail to acquire a big-time free agent this summer, to what extent does Ainge et al. deserve blame?

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Haven't we been hearing for years that if only the C's had cap space, they could attract a quality free agent? Well, we have cap space now, so if we fail to acquire a big-time free agent this summer, to what extent does Ainge et al. deserve blame?

Nothing is a given. You know who didn't attract anyone last year when there was a plethora of stars in the market?

Yep, the awesome Los Angeles Lakers.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I see no point in a player like Koufos or R. Lopez if they don't also add a star. No point getting incrementally better with a guy who has reached his ceiling as a a run of the mill starter. Monroe is the best bet cause he is a UFA. The 2 wings, Harris and Middleton, would be nice, but both are RFAs.

Everything is a long shot, but 2 options I like:
1. Eat Lee's $15 M contract if Barnes is included. Give them a draft pick. Barnes is a secondary player for Warriors. They can escape heavy  tax in signing Green by dumping Lee. They should still have money to sign a vet to replace Barnes.
2. Make what should be an obvious trade with Philly for Noel or Okafor. The price will be steep, but seems to me Sixers are in somewhat of a bind so that Celts have some bargaining power.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Whats the point of getting incrementally better. Getting Harris and Hibbert will not win us a championship, so whats the point? The East is getting much better this year and we should plan accordingly. I know and respect others views on this but my view is:what is the quickest way to get from point A to point B.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I think it's really all marketing, so if they miss on FAs Danny will say how he likes the 2016 class better, anyway, that he wants to keep the cap sheet clean for it, that we're running back a team that was the second best in the East from February on, and they expect some growth from their own guys, "we have guys in the building who don't even know how good they are, so we need to see them develop anyway" Type thing.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
I think it's really all marketing, so if they miss on FAs Danny will say how he likes the 2016 class better, anyway, that he wants to keep the cap sheet clean for it, that we're running back a team that was the second best in the East from February on, and they expect some growth from their own guys, "we have guys in the building who don't even know how good they are, so we need to see them develop anyway" Type thing.

This. Couldn't agree more. This will be the exact spin out of Waltham if we strike out next month. Word for word.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
I would be shocked if we don't use our cap space in some capacity. While signing a free agent like Aldridge, Monroe, Harris or Love would be nice, it's less likely than not.

If we wiff on those guys you will see us go after younger guys like Biyombo and absorb a player like Hibbert, or Terrence Jones into our salary cap space.

I think we try, but it doesn't sound like there are a lot of players who are just dying to come to Boston.

If we look at it the same way we would look at a draft prospect, I think our ceiling is Tobias Harris (and even that might be generous) and our floor is a goose egg.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If no major free agents, I think they'll try to trade for Hibbert or else try to sign Robin Lopez, Kosta Koufos, or Bismack Biyombo.

Beyond that, make a trade or two to prune the roster a bit, and then head into next season ready to find out what some of the younger players can do.  Probably with a roster that looks like it'll compete for a bottom 10 record, but might surprise again.

Alternately put; A roster that looks like it will once again compete for a playoff spot in the East, but might disappoint and end up with a bottom 10 record.

I tend to think Ainge will cut down the roster a bit and create some room for the younger guys to show their stuff, which will make the playoffs less likely.

But yeah, however you want to spin it. 

I think the team we've got in September will look like a good bet to end up somewhere between the high 20s and the high 30s, with a small but significant chance of matching last year's record or exceeding it by a couple of wins.

Sure, however you want to spin it.

I think the Cs will have a good chance of getting to .500 next year, with a chance of falling below if things don't go well.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Make runs at the big free agents, if nobody bites, I'd say just go young.  Worst case is we are horrible and Nets are good and we still get a lottery pick and another first in the teens next year.  Best case scenario, we are good and we make the playoffs and Nets are horrible and we end up with a lottery pick and a high teens pick.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sure, however you want to spin it.

We find always find a way to make agreeing an especially arduous and drawn out task  :)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
From David Aldridge on Twitter:

An under the radar free agent will be Dallas' Al-Faroqu Aminu. Sked to visit NYK, BOS, POR, TOR & NOP, w/Mavs still in mix.

Not hugely interested in a player like Aminu, but at this point it seems like we're focusing more on the mid-tier options in the market.