Author Topic: free cable technology question  (Read 10448 times)

free cable technology question
« on: April 26, 2008, 01:03:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have a new apartment for which I'm not planning to get cable, but it's coming in free for the time being.....I have an ancient television with dials, so I can go once around for about 7 or 8 clear channels....nothing worth watching except public....

Can/might I get more channels with a dvd player that has channels, by putting my clunky old t.v. on channel 3 and changing the channels on the DVD player??

thanks to any moderately tecnological individuals who are able to remember something about such dire television straits......

Re: free cable technology question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I have a new apartment for which I'm not planning to get cable, but it's coming in free for the time being.....I have an ancient television with dials, so I can go once around for about 7 or 8 clear channels....nothing worth watching except public....

Can/might I get more channels with a dvd player that has channels, by putting my clunky old t.v. on channel 3 and changing the channels on the DVD player??

thanks to any moderately tecnological individuals who are able to remember something about such dire television straits......
Even an old VCR(working),could help your problem.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
VCR is the way to go, if you have dials then, you probably still have an antenna, so almost any adapter is out of the question. You also could get a cheap cable card and use it on your computer. A lot of video cards now come equipped for this, so depends on what you have.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:47:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
VCR is the way to go, if you have dials then, you probably still have an antenna, so almost any adapter is out of the question. You also could get a cheap cable card and use it on your computer. A lot of video cards now come equipped for this, so depends on what you have.

thanks to you and the previous poster........you mean they sell cable cards that allow you to watch games on your computer??

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

thanks to you and the previous poster........you mean they sell cable cards that allow you to watch games on your computer??

yes, if your cable company have the service
its like connecting ur PC to a cable.( literally)
mm. modem.?? not sure
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

i think its time to upgrade and get a new tv (doesnt have to be a big flat screen or anything).  how will u watch celts games if you dont have cable?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton

i think its time to upgrade and get a new tv (doesnt have to be a big flat screen or anything).  how will u watch celts games if you dont have cable?
well its obvious,he/she is not as financially well off as you are.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:52:11 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
In a year or two you won't be able to watch tv without a cable box unless you have a digital ready tv.  Everything is mandated to be broadcast digitally by 2009 or something.  I don't know the exact date.  You will need something to decode the digital signal into an analog signal.  From what I've heard anyway.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 15
In a year or two you won't be able to watch tv without a cable box unless you have a digital ready tv.  Everything is mandated to be broadcast digitally by 2009 or something.  I don't know the exact date.  You will need something to decode the digital signal into an analog signal.  From what I've heard anyway.
You have been misinformed (hopefully not by your cable company). If you have cable you're all set, whether it comes in from a cable box or straight to the TV. You only have to worry if you're getting TV over the air via an antenna on the roof or rabbit ears, that kinda thing. If that is the case you can get a voucher to buy a converter box. https://www.dtv2009.gov/

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
You have been misinformed (hopefully not by your cable company). If you have cable you're all set, whether it comes in from a cable box or straight to the TV. You only have to worry if you're getting TV over the air via an antenna on the roof or rabbit ears, that kinda thing. If that is the case you can get a voucher to buy a converter box. https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Correct.  Its one of the largest misinformation campaigns I've seen in a while.  The digital broadcasting transmission does not warrant the purchase of a new tv in any way shape or form.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do." - Franklin

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96

DVD's don't have tuners in them, but VCR's do.  I recommend finding a VCR, and if not, getting another TV.

The computer cable card is an option (and a nice one), but you'll find an old VCR or TV for less.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do." - Franklin

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 11:11:17 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

first, u can get a regular television that is 19" for under $70 at places like wal-mart.....even cheaper if you get a smaller screen. 

secondly, u assume too much, implying that i am "financially well off". u know nothing about my, or wileys, financial situations to even attempt to make a comparrison.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:21:12 AM by dark_lord_rises_again »

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 02:48:16 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton

first, u can get a regular television that is 19" for under $70 at places like wal-mart.....even cheaper if you get a smaller screen. 

secondly, u assume too much, implying that i am "financially well off". u know nothing about my, or wileys, financial situations to even attempt to make a comparrison.
Okay 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 03:32:25 AM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 02:58:40 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

As long as you're getting cable, all you need is a DVD player, VCR, or cable box. They will all act as tuners for the cable signal, and you can do without a fancy TV. Even when it changes over, you can get a coupon for the digital converter. It's not necessary to waste a ton of money to just get extra channels.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 11:50:32 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!

(the issue is not really financial.....I'm just being cheap and picking and choosing where I spend money, etc...)  And I've been watching games at my folks house, which is great because I get to hang out with my brother, which is a dog named Morrie.....

HOWEVER:  I'd love to get games at my apartment and I'm one step closer..I hooked an old VCR to my T.V. via RF Modulator, and hooked the free cable to the rf modulator as well, and, like i thought, I I've got more cable channels than with just the t.v., including the Celts channel (comcast)

A lot channels come in very nicely, but the four sports channels look lousy, like a nightmare from fifties antenna reception....what the heck could be causing that since an antenna is not even involved??

I would get a new cheap t.v. but I don't think that's the reason for the bad picture.  anyone know what could cause the bad picture with the current, rf modulator set up??

thanks again....