Author Topic: What do you do for work?  (Read 14822 times)

Re: Slow Day... how about...Occupation.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Retired high school math teacher.  I wanted to be a teacher from the time I could sit my dolls in a row and play school.  I never wanted to be anything else.  But, now I am a stay at home mom and grandma and full time Celtics fanatic, that is very rewarding as well. 

Stay at home father, former (and soon to be again) math (and Physics) teacher. 

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Oh, and if I had to do it again, I would have actually tried during my undergraduate years, got my master (and possible Doctorate) in Physics as well as my masters in Education.  I would still be teaching (HS or College)

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Senior Associate at a Hedge Fund, just trying to kill the rest of my afternoon before the weekend.  Also wondering if his Girlfriend will ever talk to him again after booing his TV Wednesday night every time Bibby touched the ball. 

lol...Getting emotional with your TV is never going to be fully understood - trust me!

Just wait til you scare your infant to tears while yelling at the TV (yup, a proud moment for me - but it WAS a big play)
Yup

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
8)

+ soon going back to school for Elementary Special Ed

I KNEW IT!!!

I want my two dollars!!
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
8)

I KNEW IT!!!

I want my two dollars!!

If I had a nickel for every High Fidelity reference I've ever heard!  When that movie came out everyone told me how I NEEDED TO SEE IT.  I'm not like that, I swear!  I love music and I love selling records but I'm not the walking encyclopedia of vinyl that Jack Black was.
Yup

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
(Addendum, also attached below)

A little advice to those of our younger members just "starting out" in adult life, (and this is my opinion only, please don't interpret as rule): Don't base your career decisions on what others expect of you, or what you feel will make others happy ... base them on what makes you truly happy and fulfilled ... anything else is a compromise, and while it's sometimes unavoidable, it's always a struggle. Struggling is part of life anyway, try and find a career that you don't think of as work, that fills your heart and keeps you appreciating life.

If you consider your career as a "pain", you probably should be doing something else. All I ever wanted was music, and yet my road diverged many times for the sake and expectations of others ... don't fall into that trap, it rarely ends with happiness, and often insures resentment. God bless you on your journey ... it's the trip itself that's most important!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
Done a bunch of things - none of them I would have completely hung on to.

- My first job out of college was working for ML Carr selling Sports Fantasy Contracts
- Then spent a few years in commercial radio both as a DJ and in sales
- A few years in the industrial sales world (much easier and more profitable than radio sales)
- 4 years starting and running a non-profit designed to encourage students to get involved in issues that were important to them.  This was really amazing work, but it drained all my funds - non-profit in many ways is actually deficit profit.  I was working closely with many politicians (both sides of the isle) and the TV show The West Wing. 9/11 ended the organization as funding dried up rather quickly (The 9/11 West Wing episode was in part inspired by our organization's relationship with the show).
- Today I work in the world of fire protection, doing a lot of governmental relations work across the country.

Who knows, had I stayed w/ ML I could have possibly morphed into the Celtics Family.  My years in the non-profit world cost me my season tickets as I wasn't able to afford them any longer.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I am currently in law school finishing up my first year (thankfully).

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 05:10:56 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Vice President of Candy Production and Head of Research and Development

or I recently graduated college and have a summer job making salt water taffy and other candy on the Maine coast

eventually I want to be a professor

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
i am a sith lord but was previously a member of the jedi councel.

in all seriousness, i am a school social worker

The Jedi mention reminded me of this article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_west/7360871.stm

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
8)

I KNEW IT!!!

I want my two dollars!!

If I had a nickel for every High Fidelity reference I've ever heard!  When that movie came out everyone told me how I NEEDED TO SEE IT.  I'm not like that, I swear!  I love music and I love selling records but I'm not the walking encyclopedia of vinyl that Jack Black was.

Hate to say it, but when I was in radio - most of my conversations mirrored the conversations between Rob, Dick & Barry, (example a question like "Name the 5 most influential bands to come out of England post 1981" would give us a whole night's worth of conversation) -- a sad, sad existence.   ;)

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I'm in a rotational program at a major mutual fund company.  In my third rotation now... so far I have done project manager work for a major sales technology project, worked as a business analyst in a group that does reporting and analysis of the 30+ investment groups, and now am a business analyst role in a strategic planning & corporate communications split rotation.  My hope is to be sitting on the bond trading desk by July though.

Great trying out different stuff, but haven't fallen in love with anything I've done yet.  Currently trying to decide between taking the CFA test plunge or going to Berkeley (hopefully) for an MBA.

I think I'd like to eventually start a capitalism-meets-socially-responsible type business, but really have no clue and just hope I find something I love to do, seeing as I have 40+ more working years ahead of me.   :-\

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
What do you do for a living? In retrospect would you have chosen something different and why/why not?

Me? I'm a curious full time student.

Civil Engineer with a Md in finances and Bussiness Consultant
Work as Project Manager for WorldBank, my acctual project is a Enviroment, Protected Areas one
Consolidation and Administration one.
And have  Private Buss with family on Engineering
And do some construction and desing from time to time
kind of Invest in other people contracts too.
And the best of all I am a Moderator in the best blog of the BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD!

And I would probably do the same all over again
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I'm an Assistant Regional Manager for a paper supplier in Scranton Pennsylvania.

Actually I am an illustrator/designer, thinking about going back to school for something else though.

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Elementary school teacher. Currently second grade but will be moving to fourth next year.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird