Author Topic: Myles Turner: Stiff?  (Read 2128 times)

Myles Turner: Stiff?
« on: May 30, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dean on Draft has a pretty good description of Myles Turner which is more or less the same as my own gut take on the center prospect:

Myles Turner offers a unique blend of size and shooting, but to my eye he appears to be a stiff.

He doesn’t pass, doesn’t get offensive rebounds, and was oddly inefficient inside the arc given his size and shooting ability. And in spite of his stellar block rate, he is not explosive and does not have the monster size of less athletic rim protectors such as Roy Hibbert or Rudy Gobert.

Unless he develops a good NBA 3 point shot that he can get off at a high volume with his reach, I do not see him amounting to much as a pro.

Somehow people still seem to be pretty high on this guy in general.  Why?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Myles Turner: Stiff?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:05:48 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Dean on Draft has a pretty good description of Myles Turner which is more or less the same as my own gut take on the center prospect:

Myles Turner offers a unique blend of size and shooting, but to my eye he appears to be a stiff.

He doesn’t pass, doesn’t get offensive rebounds, and was oddly inefficient inside the arc given his size and shooting ability. And in spite of his stellar block rate, he is not explosive and does not have the monster size of less athletic rim protectors such as Roy Hibbert or Rudy Gobert.

Unless he develops a good NBA 3 point shot that he can get off at a high volume with his reach, I do not see him amounting to much as a pro.

There a lot of info on myles turner. I would provide it but I am on my tablet and it's acting up.

I am one of those high on turner. I suffer the same problem he has and it is correctable in his case imo. He was misused at Texas and is potentially a deadly shooter. He already has tightened his shot up, watch earlier videos, and can play the 4.

The biggest knock against Turners game is his running and hip problems. Since releasing the report on his condition publicly I tend to think it is more likely that he gains in athleticism and etc.

But honestly he can hit turn around jumpers all day.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

I'm high on him because it is rare to find someone who can stretch the floor and protect the paint.  I think he will be long gone before the Celtics pick though.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:19:12 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
It's a legit concern. He's described as "athletic" but doesn't seem very fluid.

Still, the kid is a teenager so I think that's where part of his appeal comes from. He has a ton of room and time for improvement and he already brings a unique blend of shot blocking and a good stroke.

I'm high on Turner, but he's risky. No doubt about that.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
He is oddly inefficient and stiff. That's why KAT and Okafor are both better prospects, and why Turner is projected as a mid to late lottery pick.

But he does have an elite wingspan and rim protecting ability. Combine that with improving athleticism, one good post move, and an improving jumpshot, and you have a really solid NBA prospect.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:52:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't think he moves well enough to play the PF full time. I see him strictly as a center.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 10:17:23 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
There is a risk with his running... and upshaws attitude is a gamble.... bur i would take both asp

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 11:18:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

exactly.  Not even strong.    Skip on this guy.

Eddie20 can draft him in his fantasy league or something

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 11:55:38 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I generally agree with Demakis's assessment, and ~#10 is too high for him imo. But I'd be very happy with him at 16, as the combo of rim protection + floor spacing is a very valuable mold, and a rare one. He doesn't have elite upside defensively due to athletic limitations but he is very long and made a big impact in college, so it's reasonable to expect he'll be at least solid. And in terms of shooting, he isn't quite proven but he clearly has upside to be a legit threat.