Author Topic: Who do you want the Celtics to avoid for the 2018 draft?  (Read 6424 times)

Re: Who do you want the Celtics to avoid for the 2018 draft?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Doncic

I feel the same, I think the hype is better than the player.  One thing I like about Ainge is that he does not always fall for the Euro hype that other teams fall prey too.  I think he can play in the league, I just don't see a burgeoning star that others do.

I wonder if I searched back threads if the same guys who like Luka liked Bender, Hezonja and Darko?

You wouldn’t find me shilling for Darko, because that was before my CB days.  I don’t think I hated Hezonja, but of players who went 6-10, I know you’d find posts from me advocating Winslow and Cauley-Stein much more.  I liked Bender a lot, but said I’d only pick him at #3 on the condition he stayed in Europe for 1-2 more seasons because he wasn’t physically ready for the NBA, and Brown was my preferred pick over Murray, ultimately.

You would find posts for me wanting Porzingis, Giannis, and Saric, so my Euroscouting isn’t terrible.

The thing with Doncic that makes him both better and more scoutable is that unlike other Euro prospects, he actually plays with the adults.  He’ll have two full years as a top player in Euroleague, so we know what he can do against much better competition (be dominant).  While his fellow draft classmates were participating in junior international tournaments last year, he was helping to lead his country to their first ever Eurobasket championship.  We could watch him go for 27-9 against a Latvia team led by Porzingis.  We could watch him be the best player on the court going for 11, 12, and 8 against a Spain team with both Gasols and Rubio.  We’ve seen him on the court against not just fringe NBA players, but top-tier NBA players, and he hasn’t looked the slightest bit out of place.  At 18.

And the key thing that I said above is “we have seen” it.  It’s not just highlight videos.  All of his games are broadcast live on the internet.  Many of the people on this board who are excited about Doncic aren’t going just off stats and highlights, but off of watching complete games.  I’ve watched about 10 myself.  I was high in Giannis, but it was off some YouTube videos, scouting reports, and his freakish measurements.  I was right to like him, but there was a lot of luck involved in being correct on that.  Many of us have seen more of Doncic than we have any other top player in this draft, because there are more games to have seen.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:55:12 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Doncic

I feel the same, I think the hype is better than the player.  One thing I like about Ainge is that he does not always fall for the Euro hype that other teams fall prey too.  I think he can play in the league, I just don't see a burgeoning star that others do.

I wonder if I searched back threads if the same guys who like Luka liked Bender, Hezonja and Darko?

You wouldn’t find me shilling for Darko, because that was before my CB days.  I don’t think I hated Hezonja, but of players who went 6-10, I know you’d find posts from me advocating Winslow and Cayley-Stein much more.  I liked Bender a lot, but said I’d only pick him at #3 on the condition he stayed in Europe for 1-2 more seasons because he wasn’t physically ready for the NBA, and Brown was my preferred pick over Murray, ultimately.

You would find posts for me wanting Porzingis, Giannis, and Saric, so my Euroscouting isn’t terrible.

The thing with Doncic that makes him both better and more scoutable is that unlike other Euro prospects, he actually plays with the adults.  He’ll have two full years as a top player in Euroleague, so we know what he can do against much better competition (be dominant).  While his fellow draft classmates were participating in junior international tournaments last year, he was helping to lead his country to their first ever Eurobasket championship.  We could watch him go for 27-9 against a Latvia team led by Porzingis.  We could watch him be the best player on the court going for 11, 12, and 8 against a Spain team with both Gasols and Rubio.  We’ve seen him on the court against not just fringe NBA players, but top-tier NBA players, and he hasn’t looked the slightest bit out of place.  At 18.

And the key thing that I said above is “we have seen” it.  It’s not just highlight videos.  All of his games are broadcast live on the internet.  Many of the people on this board who are excited about Doncic aren’t going just off stats and highlights, but off of watching complete games.  I’ve watched about 10 myself.  I was high in Giannis, but it was off some YouTube videos, scouting reports, and his freakish measurements.  I was right to like him, but there was a lot of luck involved in being correct on that.  Many of us have seen more of Doncic than we have any other top player in this draft, because there are more games to have seen.

I have to admit, I really loved Hezonja. Definitely got drawn in by the hype. Never liked Bender, though.

I'm officially on record as I don't even know what to make of Doncic. There's just been so much hype, I'm finding it hard to separate the hype from reality. I really miss DraftExpress.

Mike

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I’m the guy who swore Josh Jackson was going to be the next Dr J so I’ll refrain from weighing in.

At least you didn't think Fultz would be the next Kyrie.  I was high on Jackson and Ball, and meh on Tatum.

I thought Fultz would become even better than Kyrie. The tools to be the perfect PG. Ánd I thought Tatum would probably be too slow to play SF and therefore I disliked him (just as much I disliked Jackson for his shooting inability). Ánd I thought Brown would be a bust. Seemed way too raw and a very bad shooter.

If I had made the decisions the Celtics would have Bender and Fultz on the team.

So I'll say absolutely nothing. (though I do like Bamba  ;))

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I’m the guy who swore Josh Jackson was going to be the next Dr J so I’ll refrain from weighing in.

At least you didn't think Fultz would be the next Kyrie.  I was high on Jackson and Ball, and meh on Tatum.

I thought Fultz would become even better than Kyrie. The tools to be the perfect PG. Ánd I thought Tatum would probably be too slow to play SF and therefore I disliked him (just as much I disliked Jackson for his shooting inability). Ánd I thought Brown would be a bust. Seemed way too raw and a very bad shooter.

If I had made the decisions the Celtics would have Bender and Fultz on the team.

So I'll say absolutely nothing. (though I do like Bamba  ;))

So stay away from Bamba?  ;)

It all depends on a ton a factors we don't know. I like Bagley a lot. He's not a rim protector, but he is a good position defender.

I'm worried Ayton will be kinda' like Andre Drummond -- a solid starting center who is constantly flashing potential but never delivering. The problem is that Drummond was a much better defender in college than Ayton.

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I know some people like to say Porter Jr is kind of like a taller Tatum. But he doesn’t seem as fluid an athlete as Tatum.  Seems more rigid and upright and maybe a bit soft too.  Of course I’m just going off of YouTube clips then comparing to what I see of Tatum.  Plus a serious injury already kind of scares me off.

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If bagley projects as Chris Webber we wont have to worry about avoiding him because he will go #1.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
As I have said earlier Doncic scares me because of the hype.  Bagley scares me because he could be Okafor 2.0.  Bamba scares me because he is too skinny.   I am for trading the pick for a veteran right now.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
As I have said earlier Doncic scares me because of the hype.  Bagley scares me because he could be Okafor 2.0.  Bamba scares me because he is too skinny.   I am for trading the pick for a veteran right now.

Bagley seems like a better rebounder, shooter, passer, defender, and plays with greater intensity than Okafor.  I’ve only seen a handful of games from him though but that’s what I see.  Okafor is probably the better post scorer, but Bagley is so quick off his feet. A little KG like in that manner. Bagley seems pretty slender though and doesn’t seem to have wide shoulders to help put on weight, where Okafor could probably lose a few pounds.

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 06:28:34 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
As far as players in a similar mold who I've liked, my record is pretty so so, or maybe poor considering its the lottery where it hurts more to miss.

I badly wanted Kidd-Gilchrist, Smart, Oladipo, Winslow, Dunn and Josh Jackson.  Oladipo, Smart and Dunn look like solid choices though I'm thrilled with Brown.  Josh Jackson has time to prove me a little less wrong but at this point it's hard to imagine him ever catching up to or surpassing Tatum (thrilled with Tatum too).  50 50 in the lottery is not so good.

This year I'll break my type preference and say that Doncic will be a superb pick (sign a center)
and be a 6th man of the year Celtic for years to come. 

AVOID: Bamba (my usual type center wise).

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Trae Young

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
As far as players in a similar mold who I've liked, my record is pretty so so, or maybe poor considering its the lottery where it hurts more to miss.

I badly wanted Kidd-Gilchrist, Smart, Oladipo, Winslow, Dunn and Josh Jackson.  Oladipo, Smart and Dunn look like solid choices though I'm thrilled with Brown.  Josh Jackson has time to prove me a little less wrong but at this point it's hard to imagine him ever catching up to or surpassing Tatum (thrilled with Tatum too).  50 50 in the lottery is not so good.

This year I'll break my type preference and say that Doncic will be a superb pick (sign a center)

CHANGED MY MIND!

Avoid Doncic.  This team has enough ball handlers (Irving Hayward).  Draft one of Ayton, Bagley or Bamba...not sure what order. 

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 06:02:22 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Trae Young
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly happy with Brown, but I knew Kris Dunn was going to be a good player - it was just a matter of time. He still has things he needs to work on, but he is at least proving all of his 'haters' wrong. People who liked Dunn last year now look a lot less foolish.

I haven't seen enough of the upcoming prospects to make an informed decision, but of the top 5, I am most unsure of Bamba (has Trae Young overtaken him yet?)