Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 67009 times)

Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61
If you are not a particularly supportive of Russia, Croatia is accepting all supporters with open arms.
With Q-finals still in play there is still a lot of time to hop on our train. :)

Since Switzerland is no longer in it, I‘m rooting for Croatia to win it all.

They‘ve been such a joy to watch in this world cup and Croatia is a fantastic country with incredibly kind and generous people. Plus Rakitic grew up minutes away from my hometown (we were mad at him for a bit for choosing to play for Croatia rather than for us but at the end of the day I‘m still rooting for him).

Best of luck today Androslav!

« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Croatia is playing with fire here...

What I ve learned in this tournament is that you don't let the weaker side build confidence

« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
That goal for Russia was crazy.

Hopefully Croatia can recover and bring the fire against the Russians.
#JKJB

« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
That goal for Russia was crazy.

Hopefully Croatia can recover and bring the fire against the Russians.

Right on cue a great pass to Kramaric for the game tying goal!
#JKJB

« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If you are not a particularly supportive of Russia, Croatia is accepting all supporters with open arms.
With Q-finals still in play there is still a lot of time to hop on our train. :)

I'm sorry, but I can't support Wink Vida and others after the sold Dinamo Zagreb game in which it deliberately lost with 1-7 to Olympique Lyon to ensure the elimination of Ajax.

« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
WHAT. A. GAME!!!

Kudos to Russia though. They played their hearts out and made it this far when no one expected it. But Croatia deserved it too.

In my life I've seen and remembered just 4 World Cups (from 2006 onwards. Way too young/just born for 1998 and 2002 lol), and I think this is easily the best one I've seen, in terms of drama, surprises, parity, etc.  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I can't say I enjoyed the game but I agree with everything else.

This has been an good tournament. The 86 wc was better IMHO (I barely remember the 82) but since then this is by far the best

« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:17 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Since Switzerland is no longer in it, I‘m rooting for Croatia to win it all.

They‘ve been such a joy to watch in this world cup and Croatia is a fantastic country with incredibly kind and generous people. Plus Rakitic grew up minutes away from my hometown (we were mad at him for a bit for choosing to play for Croatia rather than for us but at the end of the day I‘m still rooting for him).

Best of luck today Androslav!
Thank you, what a thriller! Watched it in splendid atmosphere in beer house in Prague with newly acquainted fellow Croats and few Russians, who, hats off, showed a lot of dignity and sportsmanship in defeat. There were also supportive Germans and of course native Czechs, who as the 50th anniversary of the Soviet occupation approaches, were on our side too.

It was a perfect example of a "lower" quality game, we weren't dying in the beauty, but as it is with tough NBA playoff games it was a real struggle and the survivor won. We won two penalty shootouts in a row ... Both felt like playing Russian roulette. We showed great mental fortitude, which isn't our trademark TBH.

Kudos to Russians.

I'm sorry, but I can't support Wink Vida and others after the sold Dinamo Zagreb game in which it deliberately lost with 1-7 to Olympique Lyon to ensure the elimination of Ajax.

I attended that game, it was 1:1 at the halftime, and we were hoping for a solid result. We were sitting the upper part of the East stands. A truly strong cold wind was blowing and we lost 7:1 (left after 5:1). My father (a lifetime FC Dinamo fan) said: "Son, we have seen enough."

Let's just say that games like that (rigged) are the main reason I lost a lot of my love for the game.

As for Vida, he scored the huge 2nd goal for us yesterday. Usually when I criticize someone too, they also do well their very next game. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:29:44 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2018, 12:32:48 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
LET FLY WITH THE PREDICTIONS !!!!!!

« Reply #309 on: July 10, 2018, 02:35:23 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
It is much more difficult to predict the semifinal winners than the final...

I want England to qualify. I can't justify it thought. I think it is Croatia 51 England 49

Ths other semi is 50-50. I can't wait to watch kante against the Belgian counter attacks

« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2018, 02:51:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
It is much more difficult to predict the semifinal winners than the final...

I want England to qualify. I can't justify it though. I think it is Croatia 51 England 49

Ths other semi is 50-50. I can't wait to watch Kante against the Belgian counter attacks

It is the Euro final 4 (it was actually final 6 when the Swedes and Russians still in), IMO that's why it's so hard to pick. All teams are disciplined, tactically strong.
As you wrote: 51:49, 50:50.

One more thing.
I laugh at the media narrative English (then other all copied, it seems) created - Croats are tired after two 120 minute games.
Lol, we could have played the game yesterday. That's how tough we are, both physically and mentally. We played 3 ultra-physical teams (Iceland, Denmark, Russia) in a row and beat them on the pitch, both result wise and rib wise. We were trailing last 2 games - we still came on top in the end.

Mandžukić, read as; mən-JUKE-ich (Monday): "We are ready for the game today, this is a semi-final of the WC, there are no players who would complain about anything. Nevertheless, you will see it on the pitch"

That's how true lions speak.

Finals - Belgium:Croatia.
Winner - Croatia
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:16:25 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #311 on: July 10, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
What did you expect him to say ?

Even if he is dead tired he has to say what is exepcted of him to say.  I m sure you can find the same quote from a Belgian , an English and a French player.

Having said that i doubt anyone is tired. They played just 30min more than england and they had 3-4 days of rest. That cannot have any effect on such a level of players.

« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2018, 06:06:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
What did you expect him to say ?

Even if he is dead tired he has to say what is expected of him to say.  I m sure you can find the same quote from a Belgian, an English and a French player.

Having said that I doubt anyone is tired. They played just 30min more than England and they had 3-4 days of rest. That cannot have any effect on such a level of players.

Of course, he should say the same thing even if it is not the case, especially since Manjo is a very tough-minded and competitive individual.

Here, funny, he is owning the butcher Mascherano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyx7562eaCM -  Mascherano himself, along with his teammate Dybala, laughed as he was getting trolled. I swear I'd do that to CP3 or similar smaller stature barking dog if I played in the NBA.

Just as you said, no tired dudes around when they are about to accomplish the absolute peak of their playing careers and let's be frank their childhood dreams.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:17:55 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
France wins 3-2.  Croatia and England tie 2-2 with Croatia winning again in PK's.

France beats Croatia 3-1 in the Final

Belgium beats England again 2-1 to take 3rd
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
France wins 3-2.  Croatia and England tie 2-2 with Croatia winning again in PK's.

France beats Croatia 3-1 in the Final

Belgium beats England again 2-1 to take 3rd

Mo...you are trying to get us killed. ;)
3 penalty shootouts in a row are not for those with a weak heart.
Last time I felt arrhythmias.