Author Topic: Need suggestions on Flat screen Tv's before cyber Monday  (Read 10246 times)

Need suggestions on Flat screen Tv's before cyber Monday
« on: November 24, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know nothing about flat screens, haven't had a tv for a while.

Looking for the best quality for 500 or less.

Also what sites give the best deal online?

Would greatly appreciate suggestions.

Re: Need suggestions on Flat screen Tv's before cyber Monday
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just come here with the deals you find.

All I'll say is to buy them in a place that gives good extended warranties (at good price), I've found with TVs are very much worth it. They often don't last the length of the warranty, so at the end you may get the cost back for investing on a new TV.

My latest I bought at Costco, but the previous 2 I bought on Sam's Club, and didn't last the warranty (I think I had about 4 years warranty) and I got pretty much full money back for a newer TV.

If your budget is $500, I don't think you'll have much problem finding a 55 inch TV for under that, 4K HD.

Keep an eye on https://slickdeals.net, Sam's Club, Best Buy, and Costco websites. Those usually will have good deals one way or another.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
When I need a new TV I just steal my neighbor's. Much cheaper that way.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Top tier Sony, Samsung, LG

2nd tier Sharp, Toshiba

3rd tier Vizio, Insignia, Hinsense

I'd rather get an older model 1st or 2ND tier than any new year third tier tv. I currently own a Sharp 10 years. I recommend stay away from 3rd tier.

In February for superbowl weekend looking to get the xbr75x930e Sony at around $1800 as the new models come out.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

2nd tier Sharp, Toshiba

I'd rather get an older model 1st or 2ND tier than any new year third tier tv. I currently own a Sharp 10 years. I recommend stay away from 3rd tier.

In February for superbowl weekend looking to get the xbr75x930e Sony at around $1800 as the new models come out.

I think Vizio and Insignia are ok but they would not be my first choice.   I agree with you on Sony and Samsung especially Sony!

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've had Vizio in years prior, little complains with them. Some died, some lasted (and as I said, under warranty, all's good).

Usually Vizio provided a lot of bang for the buck in years past, but prices in general have come down considerably, so if something like Samsung is available, I'd go with that.

I do have the Vizio sound bar for my main TV, and for the investment, I'm happy with it.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just bought a 60" Sony Bravia 4K Ultra HD. Had a 52" Sony Bravia for 8 years prior to the new one. Best tv I ever bought both times.

But they cost more than $500.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

2nd tier Sharp, Toshiba

Sony is top. Depending on the model the LG or Samsung can have not great panels.  Also I would rank Vizio above sharp and toshiba
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

2nd tier Sharp, Toshiba

Sony is top. Depending on the model the LG or Samsung can have not great panels.  Also I would rank Vizio above sharp and toshiba
Know 5 people that went Vizio and they all went bad in 5 years or less. Two of the people tried a second time and got burned. It's not a brand I would trust.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I know nothing about flat screens, haven't had a tv for a while.

Looking for the best quality for 500 or less.

Also what sites give the best deal online?

Would greatly appreciate suggestions.

I got a 65 inch hisense from sams a few months back for about 500. I believe this is it (https://m.samsclub.com/ip/hisense-65-4k-smart-4hdmi-wifi/prod20610275?merchTax=electronics:televisions-and-tv-accessories:tvs-lcd-tv-led-tv-and-plasma-tv-screens). Came with a 4 year warranty. Great tv. It may fail in a year but I have the warranty. Don't waste your money. Get the cheapest one that has a large warranty and rely on the warranty. Picture wise I know people Become pixel or frame rate snobs, but I'd rather not pay double to impress others. A tv (or electronics in general ) wasn't meant to be an investment. In 4 years it will probably be time for 5k anyways. I'd rather buy 2 cheap tvs over 8 years than 1 expensive one for 8 that may very well die early as well.

I also have a 32 inch Visio that is going on strong for 10 years.

Again don't waste your money on name brands... it's as if Samsungs have never failed before. They're all made in the same place.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:33:06 PM by Erik »

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
That's a good way to look at it Erik.

I usually get higher brand and tech TV last me 10 years. But going biggest bang for buck  with a good warranty works really well in a market that sees changes every year.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Best thing you can do is a buy an American made flat screen TV.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

2nd tier Sharp, Toshiba

Know 5 people that went Vizio and they all went bad in 5 years or less. Two of the people tried a second time and got burned. It's not a brand I would trust.

And I know several people who have had theirs for years with no issues. 

A lot of it depends on which model you get.  The “e” series is normally the entry level, if you get that you roll the dice,  if you get one of their nicer end panels you can get things that rival Samsung and LG for a fraction of the price, 

I’m a guy that just buys burner tv’s, I have a hisense and another brand I can’t even remember that i got as slick deals. 

55 inch 1080p led that I got for $250 2 years ago
50 inch 4K that I got for 299 last year (hisense)

This way when the next cool feature comes out I won’t feel bad about ditching one of these and getting a new tv
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
not flat earth compatible

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

2nd tier Sharp, Toshiba

Me and my brother in-law got a vizio at the same time about 8-9 years ago, up till last year we were using ours, but upgraded size and to a LED. It's sitting down stairs waiting to get put up. My brother in-law still is using his. Have a friend that got one a year or two late, still has it, and my mom has one in the bedroom thats at least 5 years old and it works. I don't know if they've gone down hill in a matter of a couple years or there was a bad run on a model, but no one I've known has had an issue. Just might be crap luck.