Author Topic: Leon Powe  (Read 607 times)

Leon Powe
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
If we don't have a roster spot "right now" for and "unhealthy" Leon Powe, then why couldn't we find a job for him within the organisation to keep him in "our fold" while he heals? Some Public relations job for a few hundred a year and let him also continue his rehab here in Boston? There has to be some way to keep him here.

Leon is such a class act and such a great success story overcoming adversity; after what he gave us in bringing #17, how do you just turn your back on him because he's injured.

I understand roster space and all, but tell me this...what 14th man has ever given anything to any team, ever? Go down the league and identify every 14th man on every team and then tell me what tangible contribution they gave to winning games for that team throughout the year. None is the answer...so whay not fill that space with a rehabbing Leon? I just don't get it.

The best teams, of which we are one, run on 8-9 players, 10-11 MAXIMUM. So why not carry Leon a bit and put him in that 14th spot, NOW. If he doesn't rehab right, cut him and sign someone else in February if you need.

After watching 30+ years of Celtics basketball, I can identify few players I connect with more. Leon Powe is like a combination of Dave Cowens and Paul Silas in his toughness and "Celtic spirit". He epitomizes the definition of what being a celtic is all about. He brings his lunch pale every day and then he open it up every time he steps onto the court. We are losing a piece of our heart in not re-signing this kid.

I just don't see how saying, "ok, we're singing Leon but as our 14th man". I'd trade Gabe pruitt for the 2nd pick in any draft in the next 10 years to make space for Leon.

Personally, even if I knew Leon probably would never play again, I would offer him this one year contract to make a little change and then open the doors for some job in the front office. You just don't find kids like him very often. These are the types of players / people you want to surround yourself with in sports / life, etc.

You don't come across them that often.

Re: Leon Powe
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
Scooby while I agree with you there are like 3 or 4 other Leon treads you could have posted this in. But again I totaly agree. Jeez stick Leon with Willy May and toss some shirts around the building or something while he is rehabing. Get him on Celtics Now with Mike Holly and Donny Marshall. I would love that.

Re: Leon Powe
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Hey BBS, yeah, I know...re posting it onto one of the other Powe threads already started. I just didn't want it tagged onto the end of a 50 response thread...

Because this one just gets me, I really wanted to rant.

I just can't believe the organisation wouldn't see him as valuable ( assuming, he rehabs well ) come February, March, April, May and June. To me he's worth taking up that 14th spot while rehabbing. 14th men give you nothing anyway, so why not Leon? If not...just give the kid any job in the Celtics org and tell him to rehab here and then sign him in February.

It's kind of like a good will thing. I mean, if I'm Leon and they don't support me when I'm down....? I'm not re-signing with them when I'm healthy. Anything but.

Look, McDyess or Baby or Rasheed or Maxiell or Howard can probably go toe to toe with Leon so we'll be ok on the court without him. However, you can also make the argument that Leon handed all these guys their lunch more then they did him over the last two years. In fact he Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. slapped most of them more often than not.

Baby is emerging, I get that. But Leon as your 5th or 6th big come March, that is sweet. Or as you say, put him on a talk show while rehabbing, keep him in the Celtic fold and the mojo good so when he's good to go he's a lock for us.

This IS  a guy whoc basically put us on his back a few times in the playoffs. He's proven.

If he's wearing a Cavs or Orlando jersey come May we may well regrest it.