Author Topic: Some Love for Scal  (Read 7086 times)

Re: Some Love for Scal
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 07:45:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I'd like all of you on here who have been so tough on Scal to man up and admit the guy is playing some pretty good basketball out there. He is shooting 55% from 3 this season. 53% from the floor overall. He's not turning the ball over or committing stupid fouls. He is playing very solid defense and doing a good job keeping the ball moving on offense. Nice job Scal. Hopefully I am not the only one who is noticing and appreciates your value out there.

no shame in my game....i will happily eat crow because he is helping our team.  i still think he is garbage, but i always root for that portly, goofy, redhead :D

That's not what I would call a compliment Oh Dark One. He is helping our team, but is garbage?! I think if you look at his stats and what he is contributing right now it would be hard to back up that statement. That was the whole point. People on here rip him for no legitimate reason. The guy does what is asked of him. The only difference in his play right now vs. before is the threes are dropping. When House was missing early in the year did that make him GARBAGE? When Ray was missing during the playoffs last year was HE garbage?! Come on. He adds value whether he is hitting them or not, just much more so when the shots are falling.

yes i think he is garbage.  no matter how well he has done the last couple games, the last few years of watching and assessing has made me come to the conclusion that i have.

and for the record, i believe he only suited up in one playoff game during the entire run last year.  so with regards to ray missing shots, yes, scal was garbage due to riding pine.

as i said, i am giving him props for his recent play, but overall i think he is a garbage player.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
the last few years of watching and assessing has made me come to the conclusion that i have.

Has Scal ever really gotten much of an opportunity to prove himself during his time in Boston?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 08:32:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
the last few years of watching and assessing has made me come to the conclusion that i have.

Has Scal ever really gotten much of an opportunity to prove himself during his time in Boston?

Yes. There were seasons where he got plenty of burn, and looked horrible. Fortunately, he is playing well right not.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I'd like all of you on here who have been so tough on Scal to man up and admit the guy is playing some pretty good basketball out there. He is shooting 55% from 3 this season. 53% from the floor overall. He's not turning the ball over or committing stupid fouls. He is playing very solid defense and doing a good job keeping the ball moving on offense. Nice job Scal. Hopefully I am not the only one who is noticing and appreciates your value out there.

no shame in my game....i will happily eat crow because he is helping our team.  i still think he is garbage, but i always root for that portly, goofy, redhead :D

That's not what I would call a compliment Oh Dark One. He is helping our team, but is garbage?! I think if you look at his stats and what he is contributing right now it would be hard to back up that statement. That was the whole point. People on here rip him for no legitimate reason. The guy does what is asked of him. The only difference in his play right now vs. before is the threes are dropping. When House was missing early in the year did that make him GARBAGE? When Ray was missing during the playoffs last year was HE garbage?! Come on. He adds value whether he is hitting them or not, just much more so when the shots are falling.

yes i think he is garbage.  no matter how well he has done the last couple games, the last few years of watching and assessing has made me come to the conclusion that i have.

and for the record, i believe he only suited up in one playoff game during the entire run last year.  so with regards to ray missing shots, yes, scal was garbage due to riding pine.

as i said, i am giving him props for his recent play, but overall i think he is a garbage player.

Don't hold back now Dark One. Tell us how you really feel about the guy...

Kind of funny how a 12th man last year gets ripped for not playing a bunch of time on a championship team.  He has done absolutely nothing but give 100% to this team and he is called garbage?! I think you have indeed given in to the hatred of the dark side... How sad.

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

Kind of funny how a 12th man last year gets ripped for not playing a bunch of time on a championship team.  He has done absolutely nothing but give 100% to this team and he is called garbage?! I think you have indeed given in to the hatred of the dark side... How sad.

I think garbage might be a bit strong, he's been not terrible the last few games. I'm sorry but truth be told, in the 8 games he has played, he has an aveage of 1 rebound and 1/2 assist per game.  He's too slow to guard a 3 and can't guard a big. His offense consists of standing in the corner praying someone will pass him the ball so he can chuck up a 3. He reminds me of a slow, unathetic Walter McCarty, but at least Walter could rebound and pass. I don't think I need to eat crow because he hasn't been a total waste lately. He certainly hasn't been good compared to an average NBA player, he's only been good compared to on limited standard. Needless to say, I'm still not a fan and I cringe when he comes into the game. I'm hoping that when the schedule is less grulling Doc goes back to a 9 man rotation and Scal goes back to the bench.

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 10:56:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Doc mentioned on WEEI this morning how important Scal playing effectively has been to allowing Ray and Pierce to not have to be on the floor quite so much.  Scal in small spurts has bridged the gap nicely.  Hopefully his confidence continues to grow and he can cement his role, because there is no question the bench (and by extension the entire team) has played much better since Scal's mini-emergence. 
Yup

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
For all of the Scal haters:  If this team is still thinking they're a championship contender when Scal's contract expires, IMHO, he'll be resigned at the vets minimum as long as management believes they can contend.  Anybody as cheap (relatively) as Scal is, who can fill virtually any frontline need when needed without hurting the team, and is not a disruption when not needed, is a very valuable piece.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
And another note for the Scal haters. This thread was put out there to show some love for Scal, not have the Scal haters come out and bash him. If you want to post anti-Scal comments then create your own thread and put them on there. Just like Thumpers father said... "if you can't say nothing nice..."

Scal, there are people out there that appreciate what you do for this team. Keep up the great work.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
And another note for the Scal haters. This thread was put out there to show some love for Scal, not have the Scal haters come out and bash him. If you want to post anti-Scal comments then create your own thread and put them on there. Just like Thumpers father said... "if you can't say nothing nice..."

Scal, there are people out there that appreciate what you do for this team. Keep up the great work.

It's funny that EJPlaya of all posters should mention this. If I was to make a thread of Sam Cassell appreciation, EJ would jump all over it with why he hates Sam's game.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Why are fans giving him brownie points for giving 100%? He's getting paid three million dollars a year to play a game, you'd hope that he gives 100%. That's a minimum requirement.

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153

I have NEVER hated on our human-victory cigar and would further just like to give him some props. He's so solid it's scary.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I can say this much for Scal, this is the first time this season,i felt there is real hope for replacing James Posey by committee as D.Ainge had promised.In the preseason,and the first handful of games i have been wondering how will they spread the floor on the second unit in order to keep teams honest.House was the only 3 pt threat,and as we already can see is not always hitting them with regularity.

Now after the couple games Scal has played,its possible to give some of what is missing back to the second unit.He needs to get consistent minutes,and hopefully increase his defensive intensity throughout the season.Granted Scal will not completely make up all the little things(intanglibles)that Posey brought last season,but isn't that where the healthy Tony Allen,matured BBD,and Powe comes into the mix?Collectively,i can see the second unit becoming even better by the playoffs with Scal playing a key role to the second unit.They may have to add another BIG to the mix but as it stands ,i think we will be alright for now.

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

i DID give him props....see my original post (i quoted and bold fonted it).  this thread is about scal's recent play.  i gave props for his recent play, but i continue to back my stance that he is a "garbage" player overall.

you said this EJ:
first and foremost, i ask that you do not speak to me with a condescending tone inferring that i am "sad", simply because i do not agree with you.  i have been involved with this community for years and have maintained great communication and relationships with all.  i think i deserve more respect than you are giving.

with regards to being "ripped for not playing a bunch of time on a championship team"....as i previously said in a post, my assessment is over watching his play since his arrival in boston, not just his play from last season.

with regards to this:

celticsblog rules indicate that you should not label fellow posters within the community, one of the labels listed is "haters".  with regards to this, it appears you are confusing people "hating on" scal's game vs. "hating on" him personally.  personally, i like the guy.  he is funny, down to earth, a nice person when you interact with him (i have had a few personal interactions with the man), and he always gives 100%.  there is a major difference in talking disrespectful about the player as a person and being critical of his performance on the court.  he busts his butt and always hustles, but i dont like his game bc i feel he doesnt produce and doesnt produce consistently.  i respect him for his hustle, but that only goes so far when there is a lack of production.

i have yet to see one "anti scal" comment in this thread.  i have, however, read some posts that are very critical of his game...mine included.  when you create a thread, not everyone will agree with you and may have different feelings, thought, perceptions, etc than you....and thats ok bc that is what makes the blog a special place. 

i think scal is a horrible nba player, but he wears celtic green so i always cheer and root for the guy. i have been a season ticket holder, shelling out thousands of dollars each year, since 1995 supporting this team.  there is no hate here, just some frustration over the years bc i bleed green and invested both my time and money into the organization.  even on the blog, i have been a "glass half full" kind of guy.

dont label people "haters" simply bc they dont agree with your stance.  its detrimental to the celticsblog community.

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

i DID give him props....see my original post (i quoted and bold fonted it).  this thread is about scal's recent play.  i gave props for his recent play, but i continue to back my stance that he is a "garbage" player overall.

you said this EJ:
first and foremost, i ask that you do not speak to me with a condescending tone inferring that i am "sad", simply because i do not agree with you.  i have been involved with this community for years and have maintained great communication and relationships with all.  i think i deserve more respect than you are giving.

with regards to being "ripped for not playing a bunch of time on a championship team"....as i previously said in a post, my assessment is over watching his play since his arrival in boston, not just his play from last season.

with regards to this:

celticsblog rules indicate that you should not label fellow posters within the community, one of the labels listed is "haters".  with regards to this, it appears you are confusing people "hating on" scal's game vs. "hating on" him personally.  personally, i like the guy.  he is funny, down to earth, a nice person when you interact with him (i have had a few personal interactions with the man), and he always gives 100%.  there is a major difference in talking disrespectful about the player as a person and being critical of his performance on the court.  he busts his butt and always hustles, but i dont like his game bc i feel he doesnt produce and doesnt produce consistently.  i respect him for his hustle, but that only goes so far when there is a lack of production.

i have yet to see one "anti scal" comment in this thread.  i have, however, read some posts that are very critical of his game...mine included.  when you create a thread, not everyone will agree with you and may have different feelings, thought, perceptions, etc than you....and thats ok bc that is what makes the blog a special place. 

i think scal is a horrible nba player, but he wears celtic green so i always cheer and root for the guy. i have been a season ticket holder, shelling out thousands of dollars each year, since 1995 supporting this team.  there is no hate here, just some frustration over the years bc i bleed green and invested both my time and money into the organization.  even on the blog, i have been a "glass half full" kind of guy.

dont label people "haters" simply bc they dont agree with your stance.  its detrimental to the celticsblog community.

First of all, you DID NOT give the man props. You said the guy was garbage. It doesn't matter what you surround that with it isn't giving the guy props.

Second of all you don't need to try and change my words around. I said that it is sad that you are trying to disguise your personal hatred for the guy being on this squad with throwing in a comment about him helping our team for a couple games. I said absolutely nothing about you personally being sad. I think it is sad that people on here can have such a bitter attitude about a guy who gives everything he has to be a team player and is a great community guy just because Danny was crazy enough to give him a 3 mil contract. It isn't his fault, and for most of the guys on here that is their only issue with the guy. If he were veteran minimum no one would likely say a word. I was being SARCASTIC with you, not condescending.

Thirdly, I am not sure where this high and mighty "I'm the king of Celtics Blog" "I'm a season ticket holder" information applies, but it doesn't change the fact that you posted a nasty comment in a positive tribute to Scal. If you don't agree, then fine. Just leave it left unsaid, or put it in a thread of your own called "Scal is garbage". There are lots of threads that are asking a question as to someone's worth. There are lots of ridiculous comments on here that are better left alone. This was a positive one to give some love to a guy who only gets ripped on most of the time. THOSE are the types of things that make this a better place. Not nastiness.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

you said this EJ:

with regards to this:

First of all, you DID NOT give the man props. You said the guy was garbage. It doesn't matter what you surround that with it isn't giving the guy props.

Second of all you don't need to try and change my words around. I said that it is sad that you are trying to disguise your personal hatred for the guy being on this squad with throwing in a comment about him helping our team for a couple games. I said absolutely nothing about you personally being sad. I think it is sad that people on here can have such a bitter attitude about a guy who gives everything he has to be a team player and is a great community guy just because Danny was crazy enough to give him a 3 mil contract. It isn't his fault, and for most of the guys on here that is their only issue with the guy. If he were veteran minimum no one would likely say a word. I was being SARCASTIC with you, not condescending.

Thirdly, I am not sure where this high and mighty "I'm the king of Celtics Blog" "I'm a season ticket holder" information applies, but it doesn't change the fact that you posted a nasty comment in a positive tribute to Scal. If you don't agree, then fine. Just leave it left unsaid, or put it in a thread of your own called "Scal is garbage". There are lots of threads that are asking a question as to someone's worth. There are lots of ridiculous comments on here that are better left alone. This was a positive one to give some love to a guy who only gets ripped on most of the time. THOSE are the types of things that make this a better place. Not nastiness.

i find this very funny....i will use my better judgement and move on.