Untill the deadline
3 (30%)
Next summer
5 (50%)
Long term, he'll be scary.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: August 25, 2018, 05:20:12 PM

Author Topic: T-Roz sign Puma deal + trade-o-meter thoughts  (Read 1397 times)

T-Roz sign Puma deal + trade-o-meter thoughts
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
B/R Kicks: Everyone is going to want to know the same thing. Why Puma?
Terry Rozier: Me signing with Puma is basically letting you know, I’m taking over the Puma world. You got guys taking over Adidas, you got guys taking over Nike…whatever. I’m competing with the Puma world and I’m taking over that s–t. From the jump. That’s my whole thing. I feel like I’m going to turn it up because—I ain’t gonna knock nobody on Puma, but I feel like I’m very marketable, I’m the guy that they needed to sign.

I saw that Terry got a deal with Puma and I happy for him. I like when hard work pays off and he is a hard worker. But;
- With his upcoming RFA status next summer,
- Kyrie, Wanamaker and Smart ready and able to fill his shoes,
- Our future need to keep cap space due to possible 5 all-stars on a team and tax concerns
- And this Puma deal. You know how it works, mega companies want exposure for their clients - read starting job, raw stats.

I know he is a great insurance to have, but I am slowly and surely shifting to stance that this season or these next 6 months are the last ones before he gets moved.
Thoughts?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: T-Roz sign Puma deal + trade-o-meter thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I fully expect Rozier to be on the roster all year long.  If Kyrie stays, he will leave as a free agent next summer.  In the unlikely but not impossible event that Kyrie walks, he will be here for the long-term.  But you don’t trade arguably your top reserve because he might leave in free agency if you’re a title contender.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I fully expect Rozier to be on the roster all year long.  If Kyrie stays, he will leave as a free agent next summer.  In the unlikely but not impossible event that Kyrie walks, he will be here for the long-term.  But you don’t trade arguably your top reserve because he might leave in free agency if you’re a title contender.
I am with you here, I wouldn't move him mid-season. But opportunities present themselves (who knew Kawhi wasn't a SAS lifer, Kyrie deal last summer...) and Danny is a dealer. I think that a title is worth more than Terry, it brings many other team-building benefits.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:42:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I am with you here, I wouldn't move him mid-season. But opportunities present themselves (who knew Kawhi wasn't a SAS lifer, Kyrie deal last summer...) and Danny is a dealer. I think that a title is worth more than Terry, it brings many other team-building benefits.

Oh, sure, if an offer comes that upgrades the team, yes.  But he won’t be moved for asset preservation.  He’s too important of a player for that right now.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Oh, sure, if an offer comes that upgrades the team, yes.  But he won’t be moved for asset preservation.  He’s too important of a player for that right now.

Also worth keeping in mind that Terry will be an RFA next summer, so even if Kyrie re-signs and Terry makes it clear he'd like an opportunity to run his own team, there are mechanisms in place for Boston to recoup some sort of asset (even if it's just an iffy first) in the event that Terry leaves.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Also worth keeping in mind that Terry will be an RFA next summer, so even if Kyrie re-signs and Terry makes it clear he'd like an opportunity to run his own team, there are mechanisms in place for Boston to recoup some sort of asset (even if it's just an iffy first) in the event that Terry leaves.

If Kyrie resigns, another team would be wise to just treat Terry like an unrestricted free agent, because the Celtics aren’t going to match.  If there’s a team that’s over the cap with a sizable trade exception that’s interested, then the Celtics might help, but otherwise there is zero way the Celtics can afford to pay Rozier starter money after having maxed Kyrie.