Author Topic: Who's your 2018 draft binkie?  (Read 20152 times)

Re: Who's your 2018 draft binkie?
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2018, 06:10:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm seeing Draft projects with Doncic at the 2nd pick or even third. I saw one with Doncic going forth to the Grizzles. If he falls that far Danny should go after him.

I can’t see the Grizzlies passing at 4, or trading him for anything but a huge package.  But if Ainge can somehow get Doncic without giving up Brown or Tatum, he is my hero.  I haven’t posted in the draft draft thread because Doncic has been my 2018 draft binkie for 18 months.  And I can’t let myself dream.

To whom would you compare Doncic? I only ask because, well, I don't know much of anything about him other than the possibility of the guy staying in Europe next year and the fact that Phoenix just hired one of his former coaches, or something. I think.

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm seeing Draft projects with Doncic at the 2nd pick or even third. I saw one with Doncic going forth to the Grizzles. If he falls that far Danny should go after him.

I can’t see the Grizzlies passing at 4, or trading him for anything but a huge package.  But if Ainge can somehow get Doncic without giving up Brown or Tatum, he is my hero.  I haven’t posted in the draft draft thread because Doncic has been my 2018 draft binkie for 18 months.  And I can’t let myself dream.

To whom would you compare Doncic? I only ask because, well, I don't know much of anything about him other than the possibility of the guy staying in Europe next year and the fact that Phoenix just hired one of his former coaches, or something. I think.

I don’t like comps for him because we really haven’t seen a player like him before.  People like saying Hayward for some reason, but they’re sort of comparing Doncic at 18 and 19 to a version of Hayward at age 25, and that feels wrong.  So, in keeping with the spirit of comparing him to players Celtics’ fans will recognize, I will say he’s Jayson Tatum but better.  Maybe Tatum has an inch in him — Doncic has a lack of verifiable measurements so it’s tough to say — but a better Jayson Tatum.  He can do all the stuff Tatum does, some of it a little better, and he can be an actual point guard as opposed to an emergency point guard because somehow three or four of them got injured at once.

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don’t like comps for him because we really haven’t seen a player like him before.  People like saying Hayward for some reason, but they’re sort of comparing Doncic at 18 and 19 to a version of Hayward at age 25, and that feels wrong.  So, in keeping with the spirit of comparing him to players Celtics’ fans will recognize, I will say he’s Jayson Tatum but better.  Maybe Tatum has an inch in him — Doncic has a lack of verifiable measurements so it’s tough to say — but a better Jayson Tatum.  He can do all the stuff Tatum does, some of it a little better, and he can be an actual point guard as opposed to an emergency point guard because somehow three or four of them got injured at once.
I know I’m going to get flamed for this, but some aspects (not all!) of his game remind me of Bird a bit. Particularly on offence. Obviously a higher emphasis on the three rather than the mid-range, and not nearly the rebounder Bird was, but the way Doncic gets points reminds me of some of the ways Bird used to.

Please don’t shoot me for saying such a sacrilegious thing! I’m not saying he’ll have a career like Bird or anything, not even comparing him really, but a considerable portion of what he does is Bird-esque. Plus, he plays with fire in his belly, which is awesome fun
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2018, 07:09:19 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Hamidou Diallo.

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Robert Wiliams. I'd love to see the fireworks with Kyrie dishing Jaylen and Williams alley oops. That or Kyrie can kick it out to Tatum or Hayward for an open 3.

I think Williams will be gone by 27, so I'll be fine when Danny draft and stashes some 7 ft skinny European dude that I've never heard of.

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
At 27 I’d be good with:
Mitchell Robinson
Chandler Hutchinson (probably going a few spots earlier)
Mo Wagner
Jerome Robinson (think he’s very underrated because BC was awful)

I'll add DiVincenzo or Spellman to that list. But TP, I like your overall list tbh.

Tp to you too for the suggestions. I’d be happy with either of those guys as well

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Okay, first of all, thanks for the breakdown, so TP :).

That said, and I want to preface this by saying that I was completely wrong about Tatum, I just watched this highlight video so I am now obviously an expert in all things Luka Doncic, LOL ;) ::) ;D, and I have to tell you, outside of 2-3 post-ups and passes, I guess, there's nothing about him that even remotely intrigues me :-\, so what am I missing, here, besides everything, lol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLFREnWUoc

Do I need to look at another highlight video, because that seems like a lot of work ;) ::) ;D.

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I know I’m going to get flamed for this, but some aspects (not all!) of his game remind me of Bird a bit. Particularly on offence. Obviously a higher emphasis on the three rather than the mid-range, and not nearly the rebounder Bird was, but the way Doncic gets points reminds me of some of the ways Bird used to.

Please don’t shoot me for saying such a sacrilegious thing! I’m not saying he’ll have a career like Bird or anything, not even comparing him really, but a considerable portion of what he does is Bird-esque. Plus, he plays with fire in his belly, which is awesome fun

Really, because I don't see any of that at all. Dude looks like a slower, albeit better passing, version of Mario Hezonja, imo.

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2018, 07:59:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Really, because I don't see any of that at all. Dude looks like a slower, albeit better passing, version of Mario Hezonja, imo.
To each their own, but I don’t get that comp whatsoever. Hezonja never had a season 50% as good as Doncic has had this year

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't have a draft binkie, if we keep our pick I hope we get a guy who can come in and play and has a few years under his belt aka an upperclassman.   We are in win now mode not project mode.

« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

To each their own, but I don’t get that comp whatsoever. Hezonja never had a season 50% as good as Doncic has had this year

Any particular clips/highlight videos that I should watch in order to get the full Luka Doncic experience, lol ;D, because in the one that I just viewed he couldn't get around/create any kind of space against the only two black guys on the court, LOL ;D, and this dude is 18? :o Shouldn't he be a lot faster, quicker, and a much better leaper? That's where the comparison to Hezonja comes into play, for me, but I'm weird :-\, and remember, I was dead wrong about Tatum, so there's that ;D.

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't have a draft binkie, if we keep our pick I hope we get a guy who can come in and play and has a few years under his belt aka an upperclassman.   We are in win now mode not project mode.

No binky? Waaaaa! :'(

;D

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Any particular clips/highlight videos that I should watch in order to get the full Luka Doncic experience, lol ;D, because in the one that I just viewed he couldn't get around/create any kind of space against the only two black guys on the court, LOL ;D, and this dude is 18? :o Shouldn't he be a lot faster, quicker, and a much better leaper? That's where the comparison to Hezonja comes into play, for me, but I'm weird :-\, and remember, I was dead wrong about Tatum, so there's that ;D.
I was wrong about Tatum too! I remember being quite angry after traded #1 lol.

But with Doncic, I feel it's a bit harder to get a feel for him from watching highlight videos as you don't ever really see his defensive versatility in them, but as a 6'8" 230lb guy who can guard some PG's, most SG's and SF's and some PF's it's a crucial aspect of his game.

His EuroBasket work is really impressive, as he goes up against a lot of NBA caliber guys, and dominated next to Dragic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bUEAaaR40
His legit NBA range and insane ball-handling really show in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-t9j71jbp0
This is a good clip for his performance for Real. Shows his IQ and ability to score from all three levels. Like Tatum, he uses a lot of dribble moves for separation, e.g. how Tatum uses a hang hesitation dribble to shoot from, except Doncic uses similar moves more for getting to the ring and passing.

I think he'll be truly special

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Been banging the Bamba drum all year, was convinced he'd be better than Ayton. Attending the Sloan Sports Analytics conference and asking Morey a question? Seems like a bright young man with legendary measureables.

He's been working on his 3 ball for years and I could definitely see a world where provides elite rim protection solid switching versatility, 2 or so 3's a game on solid percentages opening up lanes for Kyrie and Tatum. I'd do whatever it takes to pick up Mo Bamba.
Pretty sure he had a successful application to Harvard, if I remember right. I bet him and Brad would have fun conversations.

If he pans out he could be absolutely amazing

Ok, if Bamba got into Harvard, I might have to trade binkie rights from Bonga....they're only 50 picks apart.

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

It would be amazing. Doncic looks incredible... Dream big!