Author Topic: What trade do you think Danny is working on?  (Read 29971 times)

Re: What trade do you think Danny is working on?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 07:44:45 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It’s July 8th, and the Celtics have still not signed any of their draft picks.  This is somewhat unusual for the team.  Last year Robert Williams signed the day Summer League started.  The year before both Jayson Tatum and Ante Zizic signed on July 1st.  (In the prior CBA, draftees used to only have a cap hold equal to their draft slot, and would then sign for 120%, so players like Jaylen Brown would delay their signing until after their team had used up its cap space, but now the cap hold is 120% of slot values for draftees).

Once the Celtics (or any team) signs a draftee, that player cannot he traded for 30 days.  Meanwhile, until the player is signed, he can be traded and he doesn’t count for purposes of matching salaries.  Since the cap hold is equal to 120% of slot value (in other words, what the player will ultimately sign for) there’s no reason to delay these signings other than for immediate trade flexibility.  So what deal do you think Danny is working on? Speculate below!

The 4 players that I think could be targets and available for a trade are:

Bradley Beal
Myles Turner
Andre Drummond
Domantas Sabonis

I think Ainge will have interest in the players below, but I doubt their teams look to trade them:

Clint Capela
Karl-Anthony Towns
Blake Griffin
Devin Booker

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 08:23:15 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I don't think there's anything going on.  If Danny had any reasonable expectation of moving our draft picks, I think they'd be held out of summer league.

At some point Yabu needs to get his walking papers, though.  We'll probably keep him until mid-January at least, but the guy doesn't deserve a roster spot.

I don’t think that’s accurate.  I doubt the draftee would be the centerpiece of a deal, so an injury would not scuttle a deal or another draftee would be put in his place if it were such a problem.

I don’t think a deal is likely, mind you, but it’s quite odd that the C’s haven’t signed any of their picks.  It’s also holding up Theis and Kanter signing their deals, because presumably they’ll use cap room to give Edwards a little more than the rookie minimum in year 1.  There’s enough potentially brewing for agents to be patient and not demand to sign yet.

Keith Smith had a tweet 4 hrs ago, he said he looked into it and that nothing was happening. They are expected to sign soon.

So I guess there is a trade brewing, then.
Trade Brown for a big?

::)

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Draft picks still unsigned, and now Himmelsbach tweets this:

Per source, the Cs in the coming weeks could fill the 15th roster spot created by Guerschon's departure, but there's still a good chance that there will be more change before opening night.

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Per source, the Celtics might even ultimately add 2 more players and enter training camp with 16 guaranteed contracts, as they've done in the past. It's pretty clear that with so many young guys and unknown quantities, they want to get a look at as many players as possible.

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Hmm... my first guess is no trade.

Second wild guess is something involving Timelord or other recent C's picks for Zach Collins of POR. (not happening lol)

They traded away Swanigan for Skal in February, plus did a S&T with Layman headed out. Also acquired Whiteside while unloading the Meyers Leonard and Harkless contracts. Aminu signed elsewhere. Kanter walked. Dunno what else is up with them.

Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Per source, the Celtics might even ultimately add 2 more players and enter training camp with 16 guaranteed contracts, as they've done in the past. It's pretty clear that with so many young guys and unknown quantities, they want to get a look at as many players as possible.

Ah, back to the fun days when Shane Larkin was considered a possible cut heading into training camp despite his guaranteed contract.

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Anthony Davis

Too soon?

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Anthony Davis

Too soon?

Yeah, too soon.  The Lakers need to wait 60 days before they can trade him with LeBron to us.

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sounds like they might just be looking at another veteran in Yabu's slot after all. Heck most trade constructions could have used Yabu's expiring as ballast so maybe its just about the roster slot after all.

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Mark Murphy

Verified account

@Murf56
Following Following @Murf56
More
Celtics back looking at minimum contract free agents.

3:51 PM - 10 Jul 2019

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Mark Murphy

Verified account

@Murf56
More

Hmm Tyson Chandler anyone?  I don’t know if he has anything left.  Jerebko is available.  Lol

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In a trade where the Celtics send out less players than they receive, an open roster spot would be necessary. But Yabu, a decent salary filler was cut. Maybe Danny is thinking of trading Hayward and getting 2 players back while taking on some salary.  Trading Hayward would mean being able to take on as much as $40.9 million in salary.

I doubt this is happening but it would explain opening up a roster slot, kind of. But it's probably just to sign a vet min rotational player, which would be a huge upgrade over Yabusele.

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Mark Murphy

Verified account

@Murf56
More

Hmm Tyson Chandler anyone?  I don’t know if he has anything left.  Jerebko is available.  Lol

Gasol?

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
In a trade where the Celtics send out less players than they receive, an open roster spot would be necessary. But Yabu, a decent salary filler was cut. Maybe Danny is thinking of trading Hayward and getting 2 players back while taking on some salary.  Trading Hayward would mean being able to take on as much as $40.9 million in salary.

I doubt this is happening but it would explain opening up a roster slot, kind of. But it's probably just to sign a vet min rotational player, which would be a huge upgrade over Yabusele.
well, "huge" might be a stretch. improvement? sure, put me on board.

whom do we think the celtics could pick up from among the remaining flotsam and jetsom of free agents that would make a significant difference in the win-loss column for the celtics?

yabusele wasnt going to play many minutes. i dont think his replacement will suddenly be taking other people's minutes away and gain an important role.

me? a guy who sits in an office a lot and does these analyses for fun and entertainment and no form of repurcussions when i am wrong? i would prefer some me such as Tacko over a marginal and cooked vet.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2019, 05:14:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

well, "huge" might be a stretch. improvement? sure, put me on board.

whom do we think the celtics could pick up from among the remaining flotsam and jetsom of free agents that would make a significant difference in the win-loss column for the celtics?

yabusele wasnt going to play many minutes. i dont think his replacement will suddenly be taking other people's minutes away and gain an important role.

me? a guy who sits in an office a lot and does these analyses for fun and entertainment and no form of repurcussions when i am wrong? i would prefer some me such as Tacko over a marginal and cooked vet.
Why would a player need to make a significant impact on the win loss column in order to be a huge upgrade over a guy that was going to provide virtually nothing for this team?

I think a player like Kenneth Faried, Jonas Jerebko or Joakim Noah could provide infinitely more to next year's team than Yabu could have and yet, none of those three would significantly impact the win loss column. Maybe they mean a win or three more...maybe. But I don't believe they would be the net negative that Yabusele would be.

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I think Sefosha would be a good guess, but he can't stay healthy. Fits the profile, 3 pt shooter, veteran.

Nwaba maybe if Ainge wants another perimeter defender?

Tyson Chandler doesn't appear to have much left, can't imagine he'd be a target. Same for Gasol, Burke, Faried, etc. I don't see any big man out there that appears he could give us much of anything.