Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 22712 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2024, 08:55:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I mean the Bears didn't exactly create a winning environment for Fields, but the  Commanders haven't had one of those since Gibbs and who the heck knows what the Patriots are going to be post-Bill.  There is after all a reason those teams have the top 3 picks in the draft.

Because the Bears made a brilliant trade?  They're a rebuilding work in progress, but they didn't earn that #1 pick the traditional way.

Despite RG3's moronic take, the Bears are a pretty good landing spot for a rookie QB.  They've got two top-20 receivers, solid RBs, and a solid offensive coordinator.  Yes, they were 9th worst, but they were respectable late in the season, and 9th worst is better than absolute worst, which is where Williams would go most seasons.
That is true, but the reason they have the pick is they were awful last year and were the year before that as well.  They were in the playoffs at 8-8 not that long ago though that was a different staff.  This one, hasn't been good.

I do think it is funny that RG3 would rep the Commanders when in his draft, they also drafted Cousins and then would never pay Cousins market value even using franchise tag twice.

The Bears have had a tough time for almost 40 years. I think Bears fans were nervous with Rex Grossman going against Peyton for a Super Bowl, which is almost like the Patriots going against the Bears in 86.

That being said, the Bears showed life by going 5-3 at the end of the year, making the Fields/Caleb decision even more interesting. The Bears are drafting Caleb and setting him up with decent weapons on Day 1. I think they should trade out of 9 and continue to dominate the first round of drafts for years.
I actually think they should trade up and get the best OT in the draft. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2024, 08:29:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2024, 12:26:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Robert Kraft said he is "disappointed" at the portrayal of the New England Patriots' championship teams in a recent documentary series and announced plans to upgrade the organization's facilities in the wake of poor reviews in this year's NFL Players Association survey.

"I felt bad that there was so much emphasis on the more controversial and let's say 'challenging' situations over the last 20 years," Kraft said.

"I wish they had focused more on our Super Bowl wins, our 21-game win streak. I felt bad there were players who gave hours and hours of interviews and they felt only the negativity [was used] ... So a little disappointed that there wasn't more of a real positive approach -- especially for Patriot fans who have lived the experience with us."

:laugh:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:47:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2024, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Robert Kraft said he is "disappointed" at the portrayal of the New England Patriots' championship teams in a recent documentary series and announced plans to upgrade the organization's facilities in the wake of poor reviews in this year's NFL Players Association survey.

"I felt bad that there was so much emphasis on the more controversial and let's say 'challenging' situations over the last 20 years," Kraft said.

"I wish they had focused more on our Super Bowl wins, our 21-game win streak. I felt bad there were players who gave hours and hours of interviews and they felt only the negativity [was used] ... So a little disappointed that there wasn't more of a real positive approach -- especially for Patriot fans who have lived the experience with us."

:laugh:

This guy is looking even worse and more fraudulent by the day
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2024, 02:14:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
The strangest soundbite from the 82-year-old Kraft pertained to his explanation for why 29-year-old wide receiver Calvin Ridley opted to reject an offer from the Patriots in free agency and instead sign with the Titans on a reported four-year deal that included $50 million in guaranteed money.

“We pursued the people we wanted in free agency. There was one outstanding receiver that unfortunately we couldn’t close. It was not a because of finance,” Kraft claimed. “He made clear that his girlfriend wanted to be in the south, and we had a situation where the taxes were like almost 10-percent higher. We offered—or were willing—to keep going to add that premium, but he didn’t want to be in the northeast. Part of it might be the quarterback situation as well.”
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2024, 02:54:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The strangest soundbite from the 82-year-old Kraft pertained to his explanation for why 29-year-old wide receiver Calvin Ridley opted to reject an offer from the Patriots in free agency and instead sign with the Titans on a reported four-year deal that included $50 million in guaranteed money.

“We pursued the people we wanted in free agency. There was one outstanding receiver that unfortunately we couldn’t close. It was not a because of finance,” Kraft claimed. “He made clear that his girlfriend wanted to be in the south, and we had a situation where the taxes were like almost 10-percent higher. We offered—or were willing—to keep going to add that premium, but he didn’t want to be in the northeast. Part of it might be the quarterback situation as well.”

He probably shouldn't have said the quarterback thing (and the titans don't exactly have a great quarterback room), but I think players turn down more money over where they want to live all the time.

« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2024, 03:48:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Experts believe Vikings could trade up to the No. 3 spot while the Patriots get No. 11 and 23, and a 2025 1st-rounder, hm..

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2024, 03:53:42 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Well, I hope Ridley ends up marrying the girlfriend and not dumping her since it sounds like she's calling the shots  ;D Being in a franchise like the Patriots have lots of history and achievements compared to the Titans. Weather and taxes are def factors to consider so that's fair. Also interesting that Kraft mentioned the QB situation, and as clay mentioned, the Titans QBs aren't great either but the Pats have the potential for a solid QB. Pats also have a solid defense.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2024, 04:46:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

He probably shouldn't have said the quarterback thing (and the titans don't exactly have a great quarterback room), but I think players turn down more money over where they want to live all the time.

Feel like it would come down to how much more money. Sounds like Kraft was willing to match or maybe go 10% higher to cover the tax difference. That’s not enough to sway someone. If they offered Ridley $29M/year and Tenn was at $22M I’d imagine Ridley would have joined the Pats instead of the Titans. Kraft will likely need to overpay to bring in first tier talent, which is not something that I see him doing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 06:18:26 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2024, 07:09:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Honestly, why would a super wealthy athlete ever choose Boston to live unless they have ties to the area or the money is a lot better.  It is cold, not exactly a nightlife hot spot, and doesn't have the most inviting history.  It is just reality, but Kraft should know that and should just pay the premium.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2024, 07:23:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Ridley thing is another example of how the pro-sports landscape is inherently tilted in favor of warm-weather locales, and that perhaps something should be done to help even that out (like maybe allow cold-weather teams more salary-cap breaks?). I don't know, just spitballing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2024, 10:02:38 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The Ridley thing is another example of how the pro-sports landscape is inherently tilted in favor of warm-weather locales, and that perhaps something should be done to help even that out (like maybe allow cold-weather teams more salary-cap breaks?). I don't know, just spitballing.

It's also possible that Kraft is telling half truths. Maybe the Patriots made an offer, strictly for PR purposes, but knowing it wouldn't be excepted. If you really want a free agent, make them an offer they can't refuse.

« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2024, 11:31:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

It's also possible that Kraft is telling half truths. Maybe the Patriots made an offer, strictly for PR purposes, but knowing it wouldn't be excepted. If you really want a free agent, make them an offer they can't refuse.

Seems like that’s what he just did did. Why make an offer to a player who says he  doesn’t want to live in the Northeast. I’d imagine for the right price he’d change his tune, but that would have needed to be a quite a bit more than the other team was offering.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:41:58 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2024, 01:19:25 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Honestly, why would a super wealthy athlete ever choose Boston to live unless they have ties to the area or the money is a lot better.  It is cold, not exactly a nightlife hot spot, and doesn't have the most inviting history.  It is just reality, but Kraft should know that and should just pay the premium.

I mean it’s certainly more appealing place to live than many nfl cities like Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati etc. Than are a lot of other similar cities that have their own issues. It’s not all Miami or LA
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 01:24:41 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2024, 08:04:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I mean it’s certainly more appealing place to live than many nfl cities like Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati etc. Than are a lot of other similar cities that have their own issues. It’s not all Miami or LA

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Green Bay... 

I mean, Florida and Texas will probably be the two most desirable states across a lot of sports, due to warm weather and no income tax.  But, pretty much everywhere else is a balance; would a guy rather play in New York (huge platform, amazing city) vs. Arizona (less winning, okay city).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes