Author Topic: Vernon Carey Jr.  (Read 5421 times)

Vernon Carey Jr.
« on: January 01, 2020, 03:34:03 PM »

Offline osterhagen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I was looking at the players in this years draft. It's guard heavy, but noticed Vernon Carey is around the 10th pick. He has some very interesting numbers.

6'10
265 lbs
23.6 min/gm
61% fg
57% 3pt
17.9 pts/gm
9 rbd/gm
2.2 blk/gm

Those are fine numbers for a center, but he is only thought as 10th pick. Those of you who have watched him, are there some big negatives in his game? Or all the guards ahead of him just seem like surefire starters?

Re: Vernon Carey Jr.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If his 3 point percentage holds up (how many attempts?), then I can't see him lasting past pick 10.  But I know nothing about his overall game...just that he's huge in size.
This post referring to above post about Vernon Carey.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 04:52:47 PM by wiley »

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sounds big and beefy and looks like he's a rebounder  (based on stats).  Since it looks like the Memphis pick will convey this year, this kid may be worth taking with that pick.  we certainly seem stocked with guards and wings for several seasons to come so another big would be welcome particularly with Kanter looking like he'll be worth a much bigger contract from another team next season

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
On another thread, I want the Celts to pick Carey #7 or #8 if the Memphis pick conveys.

He will be the best player available for the Celts at that range.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 09:49:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kids athleticism is not great, nor is his conditioning. Weight gain could be a big future problem as his dad was a huge NFL lineman. He also has a game that is more Jahlil Okafor than the stretch bigs team covet this year, though his set shot three point form is good.  In a different year, he probably isn't a lottery pick.

But there is potential there. He needs to dedicate time to getting and keeping himself in NBA shape and needs to get to be at least a 35% three point shooter to really maximize his potential as, for his size, he is neither a great rim protector nor rebounder. Good rebounder. Below average rim protector.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 10:57:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Kids athleticism is not great, nor is his conditioning. Weight gain could be a big future problem as his dad was a huge NFL lineman. He also has a game that is more Jahlil Okafor than the stretch bigs team covet this year, though his set shot three point form is good.  In a different year, he probably isn't a lottery pick.

But there is potential there. He needs to dedicate time to getting and keeping himself in NBA shape and needs to get to be at least a 35% three point shooter to really maximize his potential as, for his size, he is neither a great rim protector nor rebounder. Good rebounder. Below average rim protector.
sounds like a Sully factor coming into play.  wasn't aware of his conditioning issues.  that should give teams pause when considering this player that high in the draft

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 11:22:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

sounds like a Sully factor coming into play.  wasn't aware of his conditioning issues.  that should give teams pause when considering this player that high in the draft
His conditioning shows at times during games. That's why though he was a top 5 recruit, Coach K only uses him 23 mpg. Look at past great Duke freshmen recruits. They usually played upwards of 30-35 mpg because they were in shape to play that much. Carey simply isn't.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:44:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I’m not sure that he’s below average as a rim protector.  He’s 4th in the ACC in blocks (3rd in block percentage), and his defensive rating is 14th in the entire NCAA.

He does have a bit of a Sully factor, but he shows effort on both ends.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 02:01:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I’m not sure that he’s below average as a rim protector.  He’s 4th in the ACC in blocks (3rd in block percentage), and his defensive rating is 14th in the entire NCAA.

I don't think that skill will transfer to the NBA due to lack of bounce, vertical and general length. He's good at it in the ACC but I don't see him being one in the NBA.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 03:36:53 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Whatever Carey is lacking, that's going to be the reason why he will be in the range of the Celtics.

If he's flawless then the Celts will not be able to draft him because he will be top 3 or top 5.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 05:49:23 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Whatever Carey is lacking, that's going to be the reason why he will be in the range of the Celtics.

If he's flawless then the Celts will not be able to draft him because he will be top 3 or top 5.

I guess the question then is which limits to accept.  I can see taking a guy with a high ceiling who’s still raw/relatively new to the game, or who is likely to be a plus defender but a limited offensive player; I’m more concerned about a guy who has a polished offensive game but limited physical tools or questionable motor.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 08:15:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think that skill will transfer to the NBA due to lack of bounce, vertical and general length

I went and watched some games and came to the same conclusion.

He has more size and effort on both ends is vastly different than Sully who was lazy and took plays off routinely.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:35:16 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I guess the question then is which limits to accept.  I can see taking a guy with a high ceiling who’s still raw/relatively new to the game, or who is likely to be a plus defender but a limited offensive player; I’m more concerned about a guy who has a polished offensive game but limited physical tools or questionable motor.

I think a guy like Carey will complement a guy like RWill.

RWill will be the length and shot-blocker that Carey isn't.

Carey will be the offensive player and bruiser that RWill is not.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

or the C's will draft a better player available at that spot regardless of the position they play. 

will wait to see what the kid does during the course of the NCAA season and what the professional draftniks/scouts identify as his positives and negatives before thinking this is our guy.  a number of question marks for a guy to be taken somewhere between 7-10 in the draft.   C's need to land a quality player more than they need to fill a weak spot that they may be able to fill via free agency in the offseason.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

or the C's will draft a better player available at that spot regardless of the position they play. 

will wait to see what the kid does during the course of the NCAA season and what the professional draftniks/scouts identify as his positives and negatives before thinking this is our guy.  a number of question marks for a guy to be taken somewhere between 7-10 in the draft.   C's need to land a quality player more than they need to fill a weak spot that they may be able to fill via free agency in the offseason.

Celts don't have the cap space to fill the weak spot via free-agency.

Only way Celts can improve any weak spot is through a trade or via draft.

Drafting another wing or guard will be detrimental to the team's progress.

Right now Celts have Langford, Waters, and Carsen, all have the potential to be contributors in the near future.

Drafting the best big man available is logical.