Author Topic: Current thoughts on Kyrie?  (Read 5669 times)

Re: Current thoughts on Kyrie?
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2019, 07:55:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Regarding ball domination, etc., I’d point to a relatively low usage and time of possession stats, which suggest that Kyrie holds the ball at a lower than average rate for a lead guard.

Who are some examples of PGs who would be better fits in your mind?
To expand on this point, you can look beyond just PGs. How many teams have lead ball handlers/creators that have less usage than Kyrie?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019_advanced.html

You can sort by usage and see he's pretty middle of the pack when it comes to elite offensive players.

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2019, 08:03:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
hardly need him

we got Rozier

>:(

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2019, 09:44:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still think people are nuts if they think this team is better off if he walks for nothing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
There are two ways to look at this.

You can see Kyrie as our best player and one of the top scorers in the league. Or, you can look at how Kyrie might fit into a pathway to a championship.

He could be a part of a championship team with another better player that he can compliment. Antony Davis could work if they can develop chemistry.

If that doesn't happen, we won't win a championship with Kyrie as our best player unless he changes his game significantly, and he hasn't shown signs he will do so. I expect Hayward Tatum and Brown all to be able to do quite a bit more next year, but I'm not sure how that will work with Kyrie. The distribution of responsibilities was a major problem this year, and it will get much more difficult next year. They can't do what they did this year again.

All three of these guys need more room. You either keep Kyrie and trade at least one or two of these guys, or let Kyrie walk.

Without a Davis trade, I think the team would be better off letting our three wings maximize their talents.