Author Topic: Boston-Orlando-Portland big trade  (Read 4269 times)

Re: Boston-Orlando-Portland big trade
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Wouldn't even trade Brown for Nurkic straight up (assuming salaries could work), much less throw in Rozier as well.

Imo, that's a terrible trade for the C's.

really?

Nurkic is a beast.

a bigger, younger Horford.

great passer, very good shot blocker, very good rim defender, improving shot, locked up 4 years at only 11 mill.

IMO a low key top 5 center in the game right now.
Low key centers aren't all that valuable anymore. How is he a bigger younger Horford? Horford can stretch the floor. Nurkic scores most of his points in the paint. Has only scored three 3-pointers during his entire NBA career.

Horford only made 3 in his first 4 years in the league TOTAL.

Horford was a 9 year vet and 29 years old before he made 88 in a season.

Nurkic is improving into a very very good player.

And you cannot have 5 players standing at the 3pt line with nothing going inside, you need a bigman, or someone, that can post up when the shooting bogs down.
The landscape of the nba is changing again and there is becoming more of an emphasis on bigmen protecting the paint, rebounding and anchoring not only the defense, but the offense.
Horford wasn't shooting 3-pointers in his early days in Atlanta cause the game was different back then. I bet no one ever asked him to do it. Nurkic isn't shooting 3-pointers cause apparently he can't make them. His mid range jumper ain't that good either (38% last season, league average was 40.5%).

In any case, the way I see it, Brown is way more valuable than Nurkic. Would never do the trade straight up, much less throw in Rozier as well.

And you cannot have 5 players standing at the 3pt line with nothing going inside, you need a bigman, or someone, that can post up when the shooting bogs down.
Horford can do both those things.

You cannot give a pass to 9 years on horford yet hold it against 3 years of nurkic. His range is growing.

And horford is not very good and is only declining as the center

And I really doubt there is very many people out there who view Brown as better than Nurkic and fewer still who wpuldnt trade brown as a 8th man for nurkic who would immediately start here
Of course I can. No one expected from Horford to shoot 3-pointers at the time, whereas everyone is expecting from Nurkic to shoot 3-pointers in the modern NBA.

Horford is not very good you say? I would argue he's one of the most underrated players around the league. Definitely a better player than Nurkic in my book.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 12:41:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
For Jokic, yeah, I'd trade Brown in a minute (Denver wouldn't dream of it).

For Nurkic...LOL

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
For Jokic, I might consider trading Kyrie.

For Nurkic...LOL
Brown + Rozier + Bird for Nurkic

That's what the OP is proposing. I don't like the trade either, but he never said anything about trading Kyrie for Nurkic.

edit: never mind, didn't see you had changed it
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:52:18 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
wouldn't give up Brown to get Nurkic.  Brown's starting to come around this season to play like he did last year.

also, I don't see Denver in the market for guards right now.

Nurkic is on Portland
you're right, my mistake.  had him confused with Jokic.  definitely wouldn't trade Brown for Nurkic.
TP slam because I am always confusing Jokic and Nurkic too. I think it's because they were team mates. Or because their names both end in "kic".

I can see confusing their names, but not their games. Denver wouldn't even trade us Jokic for Brown, Tatum, Rozier, and the Sac pick. The guy is a legit MVP candidate this year averaging 20/10/8 and even 1.5spg!

As for this proposed deal, I am hesitant to give up Brown, but Nurkic is clearly a better player right now and that very well may continue to be the case (15/10.5/3 is nothing to sneeze at). I just think JB may regain some of his value when it comes time to trade for AD. Even if we need to give up Tatum, a front court of AD/Horford/Nurkic might be a little crowded and our wing rotation would be lacking.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
wouldn't give up Brown to get Nurkic.  Brown's starting to come around this season to play like he did last year.

also, I don't see Denver in the market for guards right now.

Nurkic is on Portland
you're right, my mistake.  had him confused with Jokic.  definitely wouldn't trade Brown for Nurkic.
TP slam because I am always confusing Jokic and Nurkic too. I think it's because they were team mates. Or because their names both end in "kic".
thanks Nick - first time my confusion has yielded something positive  ;D

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Check out Nurkic's line against Sacramento on New Year's Day:
24 Points
23 Rebounds
7 Assists
5 Blocks
5 Steals

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Wouldn't even trade Brown for Nurkic straight up (assuming salaries could work), much less throw in Rozier as well.

really?

Nurkic is a beast.

great passer, very good shot blocker, very good rim defender, improving shot, locked up 4 years at only 11 mill.

Low key centers aren't all that valuable anymore. How is he a bigger younger Horford? Horford can stretch the floor. Nurkic scores most of his points in the paint. Has only scored three 3-pointers during his entire NBA career.

The landscape of the nba is changing again and there is becoming more of an emphasis on bigmen protecting the paint, rebounding and anchoring not only the defense, but the offense.
Horford wasn't shooting 3-pointers in his early days in Atlanta cause the game was different back then. I bet no one ever asked him to do it. Nurkic isn't shooting 3-pointers cause apparently he can't make them. His mid range jumper ain't that good either (38% last season, league average was 40.5%).

In any case, the way I see it, Brown is way more valuable than Nurkic. Would never do the trade straight up, much less throw in Rozier as well.

You cannot give a pass to 9 years on horford yet hold it against 3 years of nurkic. His range is growing.

And I really doubt there is very many people out there who view Brown as better than Nurkic and fewer still who wpuldnt trade brown as a 8th man for nurkic who would immediately start here
Of course I can. No one expected from Horford to shoot 3-pointers at the time, whereas everyone is expecting from Nurkic to shoot 3-pointers in the modern NBA.

Horford is not very good you say? I would argue he's one of the most underrated players around the league. Definitely a better player than Nurkic in my book.

Nurkic has yet to be asked to do much 3pt shooting either. He is being asked to be a low post presence on offense.

And Nurkic is a better long term center than Horford IMO, Horford is so much better at PF.

I personally see a front court of Horford/Nurkic being much more dominate than Morris/Horford.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 01:52:24 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

really?

Nurkic is a beast.

Nurkic has yet to be asked to do much 3pt shooting either. He is being asked to be a low post presence on offense.

And Nurkic is a better long term center than Horford IMO, Horford is so much better at PF.

I personally see a front court of Horford/Nurkic being much more dominate than Morris/Horford.
Why is he shooting so many mid range jumpers then? Can't find his shot chart from this season, here is the one from last season.

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=203994

I'm with you on the part that Nurkic would be a better long term solution, but that's rather obvious given the fact that Horford is approaching 33.

Personally speaking I see Horford as a 5, not as a 4. He is not quick enough to defend stretch 4s in today's perimeter oriented game. Wouldn't like a frontcourt of Horfrord alongside Nurkic. Would much rather have Horford at the 5 and Tatum at the 4.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

really?

Nurkic is a beast.

Why is he shooting so many mid range jumpers then? Can't find his shot chart from this season, here is the one from last season.

I'm with you on the part that Nurkic would be a better long term solution, but that's rather obvious given the fact that Horford is approaching 33.

Personally speaking I see Horford as a 5, not as a 4. He is not quick enough to defend stretch 4s in today's perimeter oriented game. Wouldn't like a frontcourt of Horfrord alongside Nurkic. Would much rather have Horford at the 5 and Tatum at the 4.

A horford/Tatum frontcourt has been brutal

in fact the best 2 lineups have not even had Al in them.

Teams offensive rating INCREASES by 1 when Al is on the bench and the defensive rating IMPROVES by 1.2 when he is on the bench as well.

I cannot find the positional stats for this season, but on last seasons numbers Horford held opponents to a a much better efg at the pf spot compared to the center spot. He rebounded the same, passed the same shot the same from both positions.

When at the PF spot he created more turnovers, held opponents to a lower fg%, and kept opponents to an overall lower per while at the pf spot.

Horford is a better PF than a center.

And in relation to Tatum as a pf, I dont know if that will ever happen, and if it does, there needs to be a big, big center to anchor that offense and defense.

There is a reason that Tatum/Horford front court is not being used, and that is everything that Horford is bad at (being a big body, sustainablilty and rebounding) is magnified by putting him at center with a small body like Tatum at the pf spot.

Horford at center is working because the team is running tough guys at the pf AND the sg spot. 2 guys who will bruise and gang rebound.

IMO team either needs to continue as is, or get that bigman that allows Tatum to be a pf (big body, bruiser, rebound gobbler, lob catcher, low post scorer, shot blocker)

Running 4 wing players cannot have Horford as the center.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

really?

Nurkic is a beast.

He is currently taking what the offense is giving him offensively. There is definately room for improvement imo, but he is playing with Lillard and McCollum who dominate everything and the only spot on the floor left to is that midrange foul line extended.

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 07:35:20 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Would vote probably not.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
awesome typical misleading thread title...

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I wouldn't do this. Not that I don't like Nurkic (I believe he should be in consideration for the All Star team), but because I'm probably a bit higher on Brown than others. I see Brown as an elite prospect, who'll likely become an All Star level player himself.

If the window for contention would be closing it could be interesting to trade one of our wingers for a big, but Boston is in it for the long run and then it really doesn't make much sense. And Nurkic is not Anthony Davis.

We should only trade Brown or Tatum for an absolute superstar like Davis, Antetokounmpo, Durant, Jokic or Leonard.