Poll

Should we get Vooch for his last 6 months of this contract?

Baynes, Bird, Yabu, first
5 (18.5%)
Rozier, Ojeleye, Yabu, cash and first
6 (22.2%)
Morris, Rozier, Cash (no pick)
2 (7.4%)
No way
11 (40.7%)
Trade for Aaron Gordon instead...
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Vucevic Rental  (Read 7342 times)

Re: Vucevic Rental
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Pass. His defense is still pretty weak, slow footed, unable to defend pick and rolls.

Sure, he's been masterful offensively, but if he was much better the Magic wouldn't be 14-18, chalk it up to missing a competent PG, but a reason for our success on defensive end is due to our ability to defend and switch. Vuvecic has always been a horrible defender, and this year has proved that hasn't changed.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Why would Orlando do it for Yabu and a mid first? Vucevic is on 12m this year?

Yes, I tried to adjust the poll to give some more realistic scenarios, involving more players and cash.. but generally, I think ORL pull the trigger on a deal because they won't pay him next year.
I know he's having a career year but why would someone suggest that he's a buy-out candidate?
And why wouldn't Orlando pay him? He's a FA but I doubt he'll command anything that Orlando couldn't afford to keep him and I doubt someone would spend crazy $ on him just because they have a lot of cap space. Anything is possible, I guess, but I don't think he gets traded unless Orlando gets a nice offer.

Yeah, this is a weird thread. People saying he's so good so we should try to get him with our worst assets? If he's so good why would Orlando be unwilling to pay him? He's in conversations to make the all star team this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 04:25:15 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Would be a nice big off the bench for this team. He can really score and that's exactly what this team needs is guys who can actually put the ball in the hole with consistency. Only Kyrie and Morris have been ultra reliable in that regard.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
i will be really surprised if he doesn't make the all star team this year

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
i will be really surprised if he doesn't make the all star team this year

He should. But he might not make it, since he's underrated and it's a popularity vote.

Vucevic is easily the second best center in the East.

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 02:39:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I would still take Horford over him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I'll admit that I have been very hard on Al since the beginning and he often has proven me wrong, but I don't think you can construct a story to give Horford the benefit of the doubt over Vucevic this season:

Nikola Vucevic (Orlando): 31,2 MPG / 20,2 PPG / 11,8 REB / 3,6 ASS / 2,1 TO / 1,0 ST / 1,1 BL  - Shooting: 52%/39%/82% and + 1,8 Net Rating.

Al Horford (Boston): 29,6 MPG / 12,0 PPG / 6,5 REB / 3,5 ASS / 1,5 TO / 0,8 ST / 1,6 BL  - Shooting: 49%/32%/70% and + 3,6 Net Rating.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, Vucevic is wildly overrated. He's putting up good numbers but for the most part it's just empty calories. He provides little impact on winning, and is an atrocious defender.

Horford, even slowed down a step, is still an immensely more valuable player.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'll admit that I have been very hard on Al since the beginning and he often has proven me wrong, but I don't think you can construct a story to give Horford the benefit of the doubt over Vucevic this season:

Nikola Vucevic (Orlando): 31,2 MPG / 20,2 PPG / 11,8 REB / 3,6 ASS / 2,1 TO / 1,0 ST / 1,1 BL  - Shooting: 52%/39%/82% and + 1,8 Net Rating.

Al Horford (Boston): 29,6 MPG / 12,0 PPG / 6,5 REB / 3,5 ASS / 1,5 TO / 0,8 ST / 1,6 BL  - Shooting: 49%/32%/70% and + 3,6 Net Rating.

I think it’s fairly easy to argue for Al. You just include defense in your argument, along with looking at offensive usage.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It'd be great if we could put Vooch and Al together.  I doubt there's a package both teams would like, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yeah, Vucevic is wildly overrated. He's putting up good numbers but for the most part it's just empty calories. He provides little impact on winning, and is an atrocious defender.

TP to you.

When will people understand that stats are not 2k ratings. Generally, you can't do a comparison of stats to figure out who is the better player, especially when one player is on a winning team and one is on a losing team.

Because the Magic do not have another good option, they run all of their offense through him. The result is a lottery team. Sure, he puts up some good stats, but good stats on lottery teams does not mean he would have good stats on a good team, especially when his role changes and the offense doesn't run through him as much.

A great example of this is Spencer Hawes from when they Sixers started tanking. The Sixers were awful, but Hawes averaged 13 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 blocks. Everyone said, "Look! A stretch 5! Such and such a team would benefit from his presence greatly!"

3 years later, he was out of the league, having never made a significant dent in any winning team's rotation the rest of his career.

I think Vucevic is a better player than Hawes. I do think he can help a winning team, but there are definite parallels between Hawes and Vucevic. His ideal role on a winning team is very similar to Brook Lopez this year. He would stretch the floor, set picks outside, run hand-offs and the occasional backdoor, and rarely take advantage of mismatches inside. I think he can be better than Lopez, but his role would be similar. On a winning team, I'd expect his production to be less than Nurkic, because Nurkic is a much better defender, but better than Lopez, because Vucevic is a much better rebounder.

How likely is it that Vucevic would be willing to accept a lesser role like Lopez did? How likely is it that he would be as efficient in a lesser role? If he played for a winning team, wouldn't he be hunted by opposing offenses in the playoffs? I know Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum would hunt him.

You can't hunt Horford in significant ways. I know he's not as good this year as he has been in previous years, but he's still a very versatile defender inside and outside. Horford has also been an integral part of top offenses in the NBA for the last decade. He knows how to play his role. He knows how to pick his spots. He knows how to play with the ball and without the ball.

Maybe Vucevic continues to add to his game and develop as a defender. If that happens, as Horford declines, there may come a point when Vucevic is better than Horford, but stats won't ever dictate that.

I would always rather have a guy that contributed to winning in the playoffs than an empty stat guy on a lottery team.

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Vucevic is not just putting up empty stats per Lowe hey fall apart whenever he sits. Orlando has outscored opponents by 4.5 points per 100 possessions with Vucevic on the floor, but opponents have obliterated them by almost a dozen points per 100 possessions when he rests. The difference -- plus-16.2 -- is the 11th-fattest among all rotation players, per NBA.com.

Vucevic ranks seventh overall in player efficiency rating, snug between LeBron James and James Harden. Orlando is 12-13 against the toughest schedule of any Eastern Conference team so far. If they hang around .500, Vucevic may garner enough support for his first All-Star appearance. He's deserving.

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Also this from the ringer https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/11/28/18116202/nikola-vucevic-orlando-magic-improvement

I mean no disrespect but I think the people not
Giving him respect this year have not really been watching him

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I haven't been hot on Vucevic over the last few years but he has been awesome this year. He has developed his passing over the last two years to become a well above average passer. Then he added a 3 point shot to his repertoire. Adding to an already dangerous post game and midrange scorer ... making Vucevic one of the finest offensive centers in the league.

His offensive game is so impressive now that it makes up for his lousy defense. Making Vucevic a valuable starter (at last!).

Orlando have been relying heavily on him. I'd be shocked if Vucevic was available for anything near the low price that he was 12 months ago. I don't see Orlando moving him. I think they will want too much in return. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Orlando re-sign Vucevic in the summer. Furthermore, I cannot see Ainge sacrificing the long term assets it would now take to get Vucevic for a rental player. That would be a very bad long term decision.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The Magic are 17.4 points per 100 possession worse when Vucevic is on the bench.  That 17.4 is elite level of on/off.   And while he isn't a great defender, he does have by far the best DRTG on the Magic (he also has the best ORTG, putting him in rare company as a player that has both the best ORTG and DRTG on his team). 

It is hard to make the argument that he is an empty calorie player given that.

And whenever these come up, who is to say he would be a rental.  I see no reason why Boston couldn't bring him back.  Sure it depends on what he wants contract wise, but he is certainly worth and Boston would probably pay him at least what he is making this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip