Author Topic: Celtics (32-18) at Kings (18-34) 2/16  (Read 82946 times)

Re: Celtics (32-18) at Kings (18-34) 2/16
« Reply #510 on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
A win on the road against a team that has a winning record at home, with none of the starters playing 34 minutes or more? I'll take it and be happy with it.

Only 8 teams in the NBA have below .500 home records so it's not exactly something great to be a .500 home team.

And the reason the starters played fewer minutes is because they were terrible.  Doc wanted nothing more than to have the starters come out fired up and playing dominant Celtic's basketball but that didn't happen so the bench saved the game.

And only 6 teams have winning records on the road, and the celtics continue to be one of those.

They've beaten the nuggets twice at home, OKC once, took the lakers and cavs to overtime, and lost to san antonio by 2. Point being, a win there is not a foregone conclusion for ANY team.

« Reply #511 on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
laker fans chanting we want boston.....funny

« Reply #512 on: February 17, 2010, 01:00:37 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Celts win.  That's good, right?  ;)

You know it!  I'd rather sit through a tough game to watch and win than a tough game to watch and lose.  And in this case I could only follow the game thread for most of the 4th -- I definitely needed a W for a better night's sleep!

It is easier to build on wins than losses. So we know there are a lot of deficiencies with the team but at least they gave a decent effort tonight. I happen to think they are cooked but they have to keep fighting and they will. Sheed played well out there so perhaps that is a good sign. GS is giving the Lakers a tough time down the road 350 miles or so.

Meh. The Lakers are about to win their fourth game in a row without Kobe --  :-[

« Reply #513 on: February 17, 2010, 01:02:17 AM »

Offline mzepol

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
The defense was good tonight. Here is the problem: This team can't score easiluy anymore. The starters seem to ahve to work to hard for baskets. They never score 100 points anymore. That is the biggest problem I see.

So I guess the thread I started a while back about the C's offensive woes is legit now? If I remember correctly, almost everyone disagreed with me when I said Doc needs to focus on our offense a bit more.

« Reply #514 on: February 17, 2010, 01:05:37 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Ray and Pierce both shot 5-15 from the field. Perk played poorly. KG played Poorly. Rondo had like 5 points, and we still come away with the win? I'll take it.

« Reply #515 on: February 17, 2010, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
What the hell is wrong with KG? Will he ever get better?

I honestly think he was unscored upon except for an early 3 by Greene.

He should get the ball in the post more. Good stuff happens when he gets the ball, whether it's a good look or a nice pass.

I agree. KG might never be back to his old self, but when the ball is in his hands, typically good things happen.

« Reply #516 on: February 17, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Ray and Pierce both shot 5-15 from the field. Perk played poorly. KG played Poorly. Rondo had like 5 points, and we still come away with the win? I'll take it.

only problem with that is they have been playing that way for several games now...magic, hornets and now the kings. we have to get more out of our starters...we have 4 all stars and can only manage 23 first half points?

« Reply #517 on: February 17, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
The defense was good tonight. Here is the problem: This team can't score easiluy anymore. The starters seem to ahve to work to hard for baskets. They never score 100 points anymore. That is the biggest problem I see.

So I guess the thread I started a while back about the C's offensive woes is legit now? If I remember correctly, almost everyone disagreed with me when I said Doc needs to focus on our offense a bit more.

YES...but you are not alone--I've been saying this  for awhile--and if you heard Tommy's post game RIP on Doc, it 's obvious he sees what's going on....Doc relies SOLELY on defense.,cause the Offense will take care of itself!----HA, moron.

« Reply #518 on: February 17, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

YES...but you are not alone--I've been saying this  for awhile--and if you heard Tommy's post game RIP on Doc, it 's obvious he sees what's going on....Doc relies SOLELY on defense.,cause the Offense will take care of itself!----HA, moron.

Just saw the game and I agree : offense is our biggest problem.

The 2nd unit outplayed the starters in the first half, Quisy was great as always, and Sheed got in the post with much success. Eddie was hot too and got us a lead.

However, although the 3rd quarter wasn't as bad as before, it was still bad and we had 6 turnovers in that quarter, if I recall correctly. Plus, we once again went to Perk on every possession to start the second half : ridiculous strategy!!

Perk can't make a layup right now, even if he is wide open, so why would you go to him every single time when he can't get a bucket and even less score on free throws?!

I just don't understand why Doc keeps running these plays. It's not like Perk is a shooter and has to get a lot of touches to get it going, that's not the case at all...

Also, I thought Doc did a terrible job with the subsitutions once again, waiting till there was 5 minutes left in the third to put Sheed and Quis in the game when Pierce and Perk had been killing us on offense since the start of the 2nd half...

Pierce was terrible, once again. He can't hit a shot, open or not, and can't finish to the rim anymore (the refs not calling obvious fouls on him doesn't help either). Luckily he hit the clutch 3 at the end and made his freebies but other than that he looks terrible and I can't watch him going on one on one possession out of two, it's just terrible to watch him brick the ball or turn it over...

Ray was huge in the 3rd quarter but had a poor shooting night once again. Can't put it on the lack of rest so I'm starting to fear that he is truly losing it, especially frm 3... he got OK looks and made only one of them. I still hope this is a slump but it doesn't look like it anymore and I hate this idea. :'(

He still hit the clutch freebies, though.

Sheed had a great game, it's good to see him quiet people who use him as a scapegoat. He went in the post everytime, with success, and took only wide open 3's. He made only one of them but he got good looks and played more in the paint while playing great D so it was a great game for Sheed, once again, and that's the kind of game that shows you how valuable he will be in the playoffs!

KG looked good physically, although he got blocked at the end, he ran very well and quickly and got a good game offensively while taking a lot of boards so let's hope he keeps it up.

Finally, Rondo was way too hesitant and shy tonight, he should have attacked the basket more (I don't remember him going to the rim more than once...), but he played good D on Evans.

Quisy missed a lot of bunnies but he still took excellent decisions, made great passes, and went to the rim. It's really a pleasure to watch him play, he does all the little things and if you focus on him yu see how great he is at doing it!

Ugly win but I will take it. :)

« Reply #519 on: February 17, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
In Dec. and Jan. i watched the Kings take the Cavs to overtime and the refs. bailed the Lakers(at Staples) out of a tied game with secs.to go.The Kings might be young and inexperienced but from where i sit they are not an easy team to beat as some might think,just asked the Cavs and lakers.With the Lakers and Cavs being considered the top 2 teams in the NBA at this time then i think the Celtics did alright last night.   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:56:25 PM by housecall »