Author Topic: Chris Bosh mad and HOF snub  (Read 6003 times)

Re: Chris Bosh mad and HOF snub
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pretty confident Melo is a lock to make it. He'd be the only top-20 all-time scorer to not be in it (this is assuming LeBron, Kobe, Dirk, TD and Pierce all make it). His Olympic and college resume offsets (for me at least) his lack of NBA winning. Gotta admit, 2012-2014 Melo (when he was playing PF and before he got injured) was one of the most unstoppable guys I've ever seen.
The fact that he did not allow the Knicks to play him at PF after it proved to work still boogles my mind. He had the best year of his career since the early Denver days and then immediately forced the Knicks to never put him in that position again.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 08:52:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The issue with Webber is he's almost certainly being kept out entirely because he took money while a member of the Fab 5.

It was a simple misunderstanding.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 08:52:21 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Relax Chris, you'll get in.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 09:05:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The issue with Webber is he's almost certainly being kept out entirely because he took money while a member of the Fab 5.

It was a simple misunderstanding.
A loan that he repaid!

Which given the number of people we know who took money and admitted it who are in is such a freaking joke that people care.

Just ask Barkley about how often he went to class and if he got money!

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I know it is not the point of discussion, but to me, Bosh is more deserving HOFer than Melo.
Until you consider his college year and international play which the Basketball HOF does.
It is a personal preference, both are helluva basketball players. I just like the fact that Bosh took poor teams to PO and could be efficient and add more to  great teams like the Heatles. I like his flexibility and versatility. Melos sole college year was something to remember, it is perhaps his greatest basketball success along with WCF appearance.

Also, Melo was always overhyped in my book, I get why but it is still annoying. Bosh did his work more under the radar.

If we are talking about international achievements why is Toni Kukoč isn't yet inside? He needs one house just for his trophies.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pretty confident Melo is a lock to make it. He'd be the only top-20 all-time scorer to not be in it (this is assuming LeBron, Kobe, Dirk, TD and Pierce all make it). His Olympic and college resume offsets (for me at least) his lack of NBA winning. Gotta admit, 2012-2014 Melo (when he was playing PF and before he got injured) was one of the most unstoppable guys I've ever seen.
The fact that he did not allow the Knicks to play him at PF after it proved to work still boogles my mind. He had the best year of his career since the early Denver days and then immediately forced the Knicks to never put him in that position again.
Mind boggling is darn right. He was a top MVP vote getter that year too, if I remember right. Then calls it quits. What a waste.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 09:17:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If we are talking about international achievements why is Toni Kukoč isn't yet inside? He needs one house just for his trophies.
I think he's going to get in this year? Hard to tell as the criteria is opaque in all areas.

A lot of lesser international players have gotten in ahead of him because he played so much time in the NBA I think, but he got into the FIBA HoF recently so Basketball HoF will come.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He'll be in but he has a right to be annoyed precisely because that's true. The "first-ballot" unwritten norm is really dumb. If a guy's good enough to get in, he's good enough to get in. If you want a higher bar for getting in on the first vote, change the rules to specify it. None of this vague informal crap.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I know it is not the point of discussion, but to me, Bosh is more deserving HOFer than Melo.
Until you consider his college year and international play which the Basketball HOF does.
It is a personal preference, both are helluva basketball players. I just like the fact that Bosh took poor teams to PO and could be efficient and add more to  great teams like the Heatles. I like his flexibility and versatility. Melos sole college year was something to remember, it is perhaps his greatest basketball success along with WCF appearance.

Also, Melo was always overhyped in my book, I get why but it is still annoying. Bosh did his work more under the radar.

What?

Chris Bosh made the playoffs twice while only having a winning record once in Toronto (winning a total of 3 playoff games).  And in one of those two seasons where he "lead" his team to the playoffs ('08) his team wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs out West.

Melo on the other hand, did actually "lead" his team to the playoffs for 10 straight years.

I'm not a fan of Melo or Bosh, but you either got some strong anti-Melo or pro-Bosh bias going on if you're trying to hail what Bosh did in Toronto over what Melo did in DEN/NY.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
He's not a HOF caliber player. He may get in anyway, but the league has been full of good players like him who never got in.
agreed. it is the hall of fame, not the hall of pretty good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Chris Bosh has a 99.5% HOF Probability.  He will get in without question.  Larry Foust is the only eligible person above 85% that isn't in.  Billups is the only other eligible person above 80% that isn't in. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Chris Webber is definitely more deserving of being in the HOF than Bosh. In 7 seasons playing for Sacramento, Webber helped get the Kings to the playoffs 6 times. That playoff run, includes arguably the biggest referee mess up in sports history, where the Kings should have made the Finals. The Kings were serious threats during that time, but happened to coincide with the Lakers run with Kobe and Shaq. I don’t ever recall the Kings having similar success before or since Webber.

Also, controversy aside, his run at Michigan was historic. He was the leader of an all-freshman and later sophomore team that went to the finals in back-to-back years.

When Bosh was the man in Toronto, he managed to only help them make the playoffs twice in 7 seasons. As a Celtics fan, I never worried about Toronto during that time frame. For me, he was the type of player that put up meaningless numbers.

Since the HOF takes into consideration a basketball career, and not just the NBA, Chris Webber should be in before Bosh.

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 01:46:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Chris Webber is definitely more deserving of being in the HOF than Bosh. In 7 seasons playing for Sacramento, Webber helped get the Kings to the playoffs 6 times. That playoff run, includes arguably the biggest referee mess up in sports history, where the Kings should have made the Finals. The Kings were serious threats during that time, but happened to coincide with the Lakers run with Kobe and Shaq. I don’t ever recall the Kings having similar success before or since Webber.

Also, controversy aside, his run at Michigan was historic. He was the leader of an all-freshman and later sophomore team that went to the finals in back-to-back years.

When Bosh was the man in Toronto, he managed to only help them make the playoffs twice in 7 seasons. As a Celtics fan, I never worried about Toronto during that time frame. For me, he was the type of player that put up meaningless numbers.

Since the HOF takes into consideration a basketball career, and not just the NBA, Chris Webber should be in before Bosh.
Webber made the playoffs in just 2 in 5 years before Sacramento.  Not really fair to compare Webber's prime with Bosh's beginning.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He deserves to get in.  Give him credit for sacrificing stats to win titles.   

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 02:37:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

What?

Chris Bosh made the playoffs twice while only having a winning record once in Toronto (winning a total of 3 playoff games).  And in one of those two seasons where he "lead" his team to the playoffs ('08) his team wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs out West.

Melo on the other hand, did actually "lead" his team to the playoffs for 10 straight years.

I'm not a fan of Melo or Bosh, but you either got some strong anti-Melo or pro-Bosh bias going on if you're trying to hail what Bosh did in Toronto over what Melo did in DEN/NY.
Making the playoffs shouldn’t be hall of fame achievement