Author Topic: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??  (Read 13360 times)

Re: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I have absolutely zero idea so I am riding with no expectations.  I am a fan of him but I know it can be hard to keep him with how the roster is set up so I am just waiting to see.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
They will not resign him..that's why they shopping him around

Shopping him may well be a tactic to determine what other teams think his value is, and should help determine his worth in FA.

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
There are a lot of reasons to believe he'll sign back with the Celtics next year at reasonable money.

I look at it this way: which GMs are comfortable enough and have the job security to spend big on a role player who shoots 30-something percent from the field? That takes not just guts but major organizational support. There aren't many GMs outside of Ainge that have that level of job security.

Boston is the right place for Smart, given that the organization and the fans know he's a productive player even given his poor shooting percentages, and given that their GM has lots of institutional backing.
Makes you wonder why the Celts would want to bring back that player.

Because he helps your team win. That's the point: many GMs may recognize Smart's value, but few would have the guts to put big money and their reputations on the line for a player who's such a poor shooter, even if they think he can help their team.

Please help me understand your position on this because I can't find any stat that backs up this claim.
ok fine

« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
They will not resign him..that's why they shopping him around

Shopping him may well be a tactic to determine what other teams think his value is, and should help determine his worth in FA.

This is probably it as Danny isn't known to sell low on a player unless of course he thinks we're already seen the best of Smart.

I have a tin foil hat conspiracy about why they want to move Smart but it's exactly that tin foil hat conspiracy so I keep it to myself and my alien friends.
ok fine

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I keep going back to Andre Roberson. An All NBA defender who can't shoot who got $30 mil for 3 years last summer. Smart might be better but will find a less hospitable cap environment this year. If he could be signed for 4/$40 I would be very, very happy.

But Andre at least understands his limitations and picks his spots wisely. He can't shoot the three well, so he doesn't force it. Most of his offense comes from cuts and finishing around the rim, and he's become very effective at that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Turner gets it:

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/960183249191559168

Evan Turner on Marcus Smart: “He’s a kind-hearted, balls to the wall, hand to the wall type dude”
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Truthfully, if we keep Smart this summer, I'm kind of hoping he just takes the QO.

But if we had to sign him to a long-term deal, I don't think I'd be comfortable going higher than 3 years $27 mil (essentially the full Non-Taxpayer MLE with raises).

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
Turner gets it:

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/960183249191559168

Evan Turner on Marcus Smart: “He’s a kind-hearted, balls to the wall, hand to the wall type dude”

No one would disagree BUT I'll take "Things you say about people you like that are under performing" for $500 Alex.
ok fine

« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2018, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Why is this really an issue?  Ainge will extend him the qualifying offer most likely, and teams will bid him up or he will accept that.