Author Topic: Banned? Only on computer  (Read 5881 times)

Banned? Only on computer
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Hi, I'm having a problem on my PC (OS X, Chrome, happy to provide more details) - I can visit any part of the site, but when I click on the "forums" tabs I get a "Boris Badenov you have been banned. This ban is not set to expire." message.

I can access the forums from my phone...and strangely when I log out on my PC I still get the same message..."Guest you have been banned..."

Ideas? Are the forum gods angry with me? (Or my computer but not my phone)?

Thanks in advance.

(And sorry for the spam to everyone else...if there's a better way to do this let me know).

Re: Banned? Only on computer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:43:05 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Probably a glitch, I had that once.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
evil spirits. they haunt this place and have singled you out for torment.

happens to me all the time.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:47:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Are you in a dorm, or somewhere with public wifi access?  Do roommates / family members read the site?

Did the ban message have any more details?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I have had this happen on my phone before. I experienced this problem when I was on vacation in Orlando. When I changed my network, as going from cell to wifi, the problem stopped. There may be a chance that the network you are currently on is banned for some reason. 

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I can access the forums from my phone...and strangely when I log out on my PC I still get the same message..."Guest you have been banned..."

This means it's likely an IP ban tied to whichever network you're using to access the site.

A roommate of yours make the mods angry, perhaps?  :P
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
We're gonna miss you, buddy. Best of luck in all your endeavors.  ;D

#FreeBoristhenMickey
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Are you in a dorm, or somewhere with public wifi access?  Do roommates / family members read the site?

Did the ban message have any more details?

Yes, I'm on the road. Hotel wifi. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

It's just me, but I use multiple devices.

The IP ban makes sense I guess since even guests are banned, and I can use my phone.

Thanks, I'll suffer on the small screen I guess for a while. Haha.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Ok, I'm having the same problem.  It started when I was out of state on business using a hotel rooms free wifi on my cell phone. 

Now im back home and it's still saying I'm banned on my phone, even if I'm at home using my own wifi on my phone.

If I hop on my laptop, everythings fine.  Very frustrating.
Greg

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
You can get get a new router. Your ISP will assign a new IP to you since it will see a new MAC address which hasn't been assigned an IP.

You can also go into the gateway of your router. Go to the section of the router and choose manual MAC address. Change one letter and apply. Your ISP will assign another IP.

The second method you don't have to buy a new router.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 04:38:28 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Ok, I'm having the same problem.  It started when I was out of state on business using a hotel rooms free wifi on my cell phone. 

Now im back home and it's still saying I'm banned on my phone, even if I'm at home using my own wifi on my phone.

If I hop on my laptop, everythings fine.  Very frustrating.
If it's an iPhone go to settings general and then reset. Choose reset network settings. You should get a new IP from your carrier or remove whatever got tagged.

Should fix that.

Edit.

You might have to clear the cache after you do that.

The site being pulled up from your carrier service is probably caching or putting something on to block you so that's why it's happening on wifi also.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I know this is a popular sports site, but I feel like something else is behind this other than individuals being banned at different IP addresses across the country. This has happened to me on my iPhone in two different small restaurants in Pittsburgh suburbs since I've joined CB. It seems rather unlikely to me that two different people were banned from Celticsblog in small restaurants in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Am I misunderstanding something or is that supposedly the reason behind this?

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I know this is a popular sports site, but I feel like something else is behind this other than individuals being banned at different IP addresses across the country. This has happened to me on my iPhone in two different small restaurants in Pittsburgh suburbs since I've joined CB. It seems rather unlikely to me that two different people were banned from Celticsblog in small restaurants in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Am I misunderstanding something or is that supposedly the reason behind this?

yeah I dont understand it either.  Ive been on public wifi too many times and never had this problem before and now it creeps up out of no where
Greg