Author Topic: Boston Celtics 90's ALL DECADE  (Read 6963 times)

Boston Celtics 90's ALL DECADE
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:46:19 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
this is my list ( and it was very difficult to make due to the constant revolving door of players, for the first time since the 40's there was not celtic that lasted the entire decade) so i wanna hear yours cuase i know you gotta disagree with something.

PG Dee Brown
11 pts
3.78 ast
2.8 rbs
1.6 stl

SG Dana Barros
10 pts
3.31 ast
2 rbs
.87 stl

SF Reggie Lewis
17.6 pts
2.6 ast
4.3 rbs
1.3 stl

PF Antoine Walker
20.pts
4.0 ast
9 rbs
1.45 stl

C  Dino Radja
16.7 pts
1.6 ast
8.4 rbs
1.3 blk

the stats that are here represent the players per game averages as a celtic, not their career avg.
so if you want any of that..... www.basketball-reference.com

Re: Boston Celtics 90's ALL DECADE
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:53:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Pierce as the SG.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:04:47 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Pierce as the SG.

i know its hard. pierce is one of the best celtics ever, and always my favorite growing up through now. but his first year was in 98. lets say 10 years from now bill walker is still on the team and is the next captain/leader of the team. he wouldn't be on an all-decade team for the 2000's he'd be on it for the 10's (wierd to say)

paul pierce would be the sf for the 2000's

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:45:58 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
this is a tough endeavor, as many of these guys were only around for a short time.  even reggie lewis had 3 years of playing time due to his untimely death.

the larger part of this decade was a debacle, so it would be more fun to come up with the "all terrible" team...

(no doubt todd mundt and marty conlon would find their names etched in history here).  :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'll take a year or two of the decrepit, end of their careers original Big 3 and throw Pierce and Walker in with them and see what happens. 

Point Forward:  Antoine
Power Forward: McHale
Small Forward: Bird
Shooting Guard: Pierce
Center:  Chief

Bench:  Dee Brown, Dino, Reggie (here in lies the flaw of my plan, but I can't find a PG for the starting team and I've got to throw PP in there...so Reggie can go back from whence he came off the bench), Dominique (just for the hell of it), Brett Szabo (gotta represent the horrible years), Billups (reverse the mistaken trade)

I guess I should throw in a disclaimer that this team is not based completely on achievement during the 90's, but who I'd like to see.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
What? No Waltah?

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I'll take a year or two of the decrepit, end of their careers original Big 3 and throw Pierce and Walker in with them and see what happens. 

Point Forward:  Antoine
Power Forward: McHale
Small Forward: Bird
Shooting Guard: Pierce
Center:  Chief

Bench:  Dee Brown, Dino, Reggie (here in lies the flaw of my plan, but I can't find a PG for the starting team and I've got to throw PP in there...so Reggie can go back from whence he came off the bench), Dominique (just for the hell of it), Brett Szabo (gotta represent the horrible years), Billups (reverse the mistaken trade)

I guess I should throw in a disclaimer that this team is not based completely on achievement during the 90's, but who I'd like to see.

That team would win more games than the aforementioned all 90's team. If you have a chance to ever have Larry Legend on your team, you take it, I would take 50 year old Larry Bird right now, just stand there and shoot threes.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
I'm sorry, but an All-90s team without Zan Tabak is just unthinkable to me. Long live the Zan :-)

In all seriousness, I like your suggested starting 5 on the surface. A couple points just to consider:

1.) Dino played a lot more PF than he did C. I know we didn't really have any dominant Centers then (unless you want to blur the line and include the Chief), but still.

2.) Other names to possibly consider for the starting lineup, or at least definitely for the bench (and I'm basing this off of their Celtic tenures, not their whole career, so 'Nique is out):
Kenny Anderson
Rick Fox
David Wesley
Brian Shaw
Sherman Douglas
Kevin Gamble

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
I'm sorry, but an All-90s team without Zan Tabak is just unthinkable to me. Long live the Zan :-)

In all seriousness, I like your suggested starting 5 on the surface. A couple points just to consider:

1.) Dino played a lot more PF than he did C. I know we didn't really have any dominant Centers then (unless you want to blur the line and include the Chief), but still.

2.) Other names to possibly consider for the starting lineup, or at least definitely for the bench (and I'm basing this off of their Celtic tenures, not their whole career, so 'Nique is out):
Kenny Anderson
Rick Fox
David Wesley
Brian Shaw
Sherman Douglas
Kevin Gamble

kevin gamble and rick fox got serious consideration when i was thinking of people, and i was thinking the SAME EXACT thing about dino, really played more PF but you can't leave out antoine, and there was a CONSTANT revolving door at center after parish left.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
No way Parish cannot be the Center.  I understand the logic behind trying to slide Radja over, but in 4 years for the C's Radja averaged 16.7ppg, 8.4rpg, 1.3bpg, and 1.6apg and never made the All-Star team and those numbers were on bad teams for the most part, but in Parish's 5 years for Boston in the 90's (including 89-90 season, not sure if others are counting that season or not) he averaged 13.8ppg, 9.3rpg, 1.2bpg, 1.0apg and made 2 All-Star appearances.  While the stats are comparable, the teams Parish played on in the 90's averaged 48 wins per year, while Radja's teams averaged 29 wins per year.  Parish played Center for the C's for 5 years in the 90's and was an All-Star twice.  I don't think any other big man comes close to playing that many seasons at Center, and we all know no other Center since has made the All Star team.  I think Parish is the Center hands down.

Really the team should be this:
C - Parish (5 seasons, 2 time All Star)
F - McHale (4 seasons, 2 time All Star)
F - Bird (3 seasons, 3 time All Star)
G - Lewis (4 seasons, 1 time All Star)
G - ?

The last guard spot is probably the only spot that I think can be debated.  I'd say it's between Barros (4 seasons), Douglas (5 seasons), Brown (8 seasons).  You could get by with any of them in the point guard spot (especially considering the rest of the team), and Brown might win out since he was the most tenured, but I would pick Douglas the pure point and I remember him leading the C's to the playoffs in '95 (if you consider 35 wins leading...)

I love Antoine (3 seasons, 1 time All Star), but I don't think you can put him above McHale or Bird, and Pierce only played one lockout shortened season.

Of course I think the question was probably figuring All 90's team excluding the holdovers from the 80's like Bird and McHale.  I have no clue who I would put at Center (maybe slide Dino over because Montross is the most tenured at 2 seasons I think). Walker at the 4, Eric Williams at the 3 (how could no one have mentioned him yet?), Brown at the 2, and Douglas again at the point.

* In my numbers, I'm including the 89-90 season which I figure is part of the 90's, but not the 99-00 season which I figure is part of the 00's.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
bdm, just to clarify for you.

Walker is a 3-time Allstar...Not a 1-timer.  8)

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 06:38:09 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
bdm, just to clarify for you.

Walker is a 3-time Allstar...Not a 1-timer.  8)

1 time in the 90's

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 07:49:05 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
let's show some love for michael smith!!!

i'll never forget red's draft night quote: "he plays a lot like larry...we hope."

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

i'll never forget red's draft night quote: "he plays a lot like larry...we hope."

I'd rather have Blount than Smith!
Yup

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 07:53:44 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

I'd rather have Blount than Smith!

his arms are as long as my 3 year old's...