Author Topic: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread  (Read 13802 times)

Re: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2024, 02:02:24 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
The biggest unspoken question at this point re: the playoff rotation will be health. I think the top 8-9 is pretty straightforward as others have noted. We've been pretty lucky overall this year...fingers and toes crossed that continues. Last year, we essentially lost Brogdon for the Heat series (he was useless physically) and then lost Tatum in the most crucial game. In 2022, we survived without Rob Williams for half the playoffs (and Marcus Smart for a couple games). In 2020, we tried to rush Hayward back but it didn't really work out.

So we'll hope for the best and see. The team has shown they can keep winning with one man down. Here's to hoping it's a simple answer with the top 8, otherwise you have to either slim down to top 7 (probably the case if Jrue, White, Brown get hurt because you'd just give Payton and Sam more starter minutes) or you have to go deeper into the bench to the "always be ready" guys if it's someone else.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2024, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
One thing I'll be keeping a close eye on is KP's ability to handle increased physicality in the playoffs.  I don't expect him to win physical battles against heavier, stronger players, but he is going to need to play tougher in the paint.  Harder fouls, fighting for inside position.  Less flailing and hoping for foul calls.  The offensive finesse on his shot selection is fine since he can make those shots at a high %.

I'm also curious to see how Joe and co. approach mismatches.  They've done a better job this year exploiting mismatches compared to previous seasons.  Also want to see if they can get our team to execute faster in the half court in the 4th quarter.

Last thing off the top of my head is more KP + Tatum pick and rolls.  Tatum is going to be the target of defensive schemes.  KP is an easy target to pass to.  If they start to double, blitz, or cheat towards Tatum, get KP at the foul line or rolling towards the basket.  I haven't invested a lot of thought into it, but I think this PnR combo is the key to winning it all.

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2024, 02:53:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
One thing I'll be keeping a close eye on is KP's ability to handle increased physicality in the playoffs.  I don't expect him to win physical battles against heavier, stronger players, but he is going to need to play tougher in the paint.  Harder fouls, fighting for inside position.  Less flailing and hoping for foul calls.  The offensive finesse on his shot selection is fine since he can make those shots at a high %.

I'm also curious to see how Joe and co. approach mismatches.  They've done a better job this year exploiting mismatches compared to previous seasons.  Also want to see if they can get our team to execute faster in the half court in the 4th quarter.

Last thing off the top of my head is more KP + Tatum pick and rolls.  Tatum is going to be the target of defensive schemes.  KP is an easy target to pass to.  If they start to double, blitz, or cheat towards Tatum, get KP at the foul line or rolling towards the basket.  I haven't invested a lot of thought into it, but I think this PnR combo is the key to winning it all.

This is true.  Teams will try to take away Tatum first and foremost.  How he handles that pressure will be key.  The rest of the team can't just stand around and watch though.  Off ball movement creates the passing opportunities.  The addition of Porzingis alone creates opportunities.  We need to take advantage of those opportunities.

High pick and rolls will probably be the most used scheme or play.  But the Celtics need to drive too.  Drives create opportunities for lobs and for kick outs.  Get you to the FT line.  You can't just high pick and roll all game.  Driving can lead to turnovers though, so it is a balance.  The more you can throw at a defense, the better.  The Celtics have the talent and personnel to beat teams in more than one way.  They need to take advantage of that.

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 12:58:59 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
ESPN: Who is stopping the Boston Celtics this year?

Kendrick Perkins: New York Knicks
Austin Rivers: Milwaukee Bucks
Ramona Shelburne: Miami Heat

???

I'm surprised they didn't mention the 76ers. But I think the Celtics, injuries, and Joe Mazzulla would be the ones to stop the Celtics this year before any of those teams do.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 05:20:39 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
I'll be offline for most of the playoff run as per usual - hopefully, when the dust settles it will feature banner 18.

Enjoy the games everyone.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 09:29:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Another thought heading into the playoffs. Bench guys tend to be less effective in the playoffs, especially on the road, as compared to the regular season.  Our core bench, Horford, Hauser, Pritchard, have been great. A strength of the team. I don’t worry about Horford, he will be fine. But how will Pritchard and Hauser hold up?   I suspect they will do just fine.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 10:30:04 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Another thought heading into the playoffs. Bench guys tend to be less effective in the playoffs, especially on the road, as compared to the regular season.  Our core bench, Horford, Hauser, Pritchard, have been great. A strength of the team. I don’t worry about Horford, he will be fine. But how will Pritchard and Hauser hold up?   I suspect they will do just fine.

Having home court advantage is useful in that sense.  Hauser has played as well or even better on the road than at home, but Pritchard this season has a striking difference in home/road splits, at least shooting.  .523/.442/.920 for a .662 TS% at home vs. .401/.322/.742 for a .519 TS% on the road.  At home he’s played at an All-Star level, while on the road he’s been a fringe NBA player.

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2024, 10:46:51 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I hope we still use Kornet in not just garbage time. I know he’s a gigantic target and switch liability but I like that he’s pretty much an automatic 2 in the dunker spot with our guys driving.

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2024, 11:00:19 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll be offline for most of the playoff run as per usual - hopefully, when the dust settles it will feature banner 18.

Enjoy the games everyone.

Wait is it by choice or do you have something the next few months?  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2024, 11:13:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

???

I'm surprised they didn't mention the 76ers. But I think the Celtics, injuries, and Joe Mazzulla would be the ones to stop the Celtics this year before any of those teams do.
So none of these characters pick them to win the ECF?

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2024, 11:16:57 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

???

Nope the usual ESPN-hating Boston. Perkins was a nice player for the Celtics but as an analyst he is mind-boggling

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2024, 12:24:48 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

???

Nope the usual ESPN-hating Boston. Perkins was a nice player for the Celtics but as an analyst he is mind-boggling

Surely the question had to be who is the biggest threat to Boston winning the East, not who actually wins the East, right?

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2024, 12:29:18 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

???

Surely the question had to be who is the biggest threat to Boston winning the East, not who actually wins the East, right?

Ya, this has been twisted.

The question was "Who do you think is in the best position to challenge the Celtics in the East"

https://www.facebook.com/NBAonESPN/videos/whos-stopping-the-celtics-in-the-east-/453152907131648/

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2024, 12:48:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Alright, this is it: Put up or shut up. Time for the Cs to take care of the real business.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2024, 01:37:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Still the Favorite.  Surprised how low ORL is running.

Boston Celtics:           +165 (bet $10 to win $26.50 total)
Denver Nuggets:          +300 (bet $10 to win $40 total)
Los Angeles Clipps:      +1200 (bet $10 to win $130 total)
Milwaukee Bucks:         +1200 (bet $10 to win $130 total)
Okla City Thunder:      +1400 (bet $10 to win $150 total)
Dallas Mavericks:         +1600 (bet $10 to win $170 total)
Minnesota Timber:      +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Philadelphia 76ers:      +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Phoenix Suns:            +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
New York Knicks:        +3300 (bet $10 to win $340 total)
Los Angeles Lakers:    +3400 (bet $10 to win $350 total)
Cleveland Cavaliers:    +4000 (bet $10 to win $410 total)
Miami Heat:                +4000 (bet $10 to win $410 total)
New Orleans Pelicans    +6500 (bet $10 to win $660 total)
Golden State Warriors:  +8500 (bet $10 to win $860 total)
Indiana Pacers:          +12000 (bet $10 to win $1,210 total)
Sacramento Kings:     +15000 (bet $10 to win $1,510 total)
Orlando Magic:           +15000 (bet $10 to win $1,510 total)
Chicago Bulls:            +100000 (bet $10 to win $10,010 total)
Atlanta Hawks:          +100000 (bet $10 to win $10,010 total)

If I were a betting man I'd put some money on Denver and Philly (I don't think they'll win but those are great odds). That way if we don't win, I'd at least get some enjoyment out of it.

I don't think anyone besides us and Denver have a real shot.
Wouldn't do that in a million years