Author Topic: There's something missing with this team......  (Read 6949 times)

Re: There's something missing with this team......
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2018, 05:44:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
teen spirit

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
RE the OP: the overall chemistry on offense is definitely lacking so far (it's been mostly great on D).  It feels like the team is kinda collectively holding open the #2 spot on the totem pole for Hayward, and he's not quite ready to take it yet.

I still feel like a lot of it's just as simple as making an even league-average level of open shots, which we're doing great at creating. Some of that's intertwined with the chemistry, though.

TP. I think that's right. Tatum should probably be the one to just seize it but it's starting to feel like he doesn't know yet how to balance being a major scoring option and just playing his role. He can do either (we saw him play a role with Kyrie and take over without him) but he doesn't have that balance yet that a #2 needs. Maybe the real problem is his lack of playmaking for others?

Yeah, I feel the same way, and feel like the battle of JT vs GH for #2 dog status is very important to this team, if not the key for the entire season. My logic is based on the quality of our Big 3/4.

We have a solid #1 for a champ in Kyrie, but he’s not great, and Horford is a great #4. We need Tatum or Hayward to emerge because we need a great #2, but still want it to be a battle because we also need a really good #3 to compensate for Kyrie not being a Lebron, Durant or Curry type #1.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2018, 11:50:05 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
We have a solid #1 for a champ in Kyrie, but he’s not great, and Horford is a great #4. We need Tatum or Hayward to emerge because we need a great #2, but still want it to be a battle because we also need a really good #3 to compensate for Kyrie not being a Lebron, Durant or Curry type #1.

It's almost a matter of having another number one option (think 1a and 1b); I agree that Kyrie, although great, is not an A-tier first option. Hayward's had enough run in this league to give us no reason to believe he can be a first option, but he's a good second, and an excellent third option. I think, ideally, Tatum would develop to match Kyrie's output in his own way, and then Hayward would assume the secondary role. Even more idealistically, Jaylen would play the theoretical third fiddle behind 1a, 1b, and 2, and then Horford would be a solid 4. And I think this could very well happen, but it appears that it my take some time to shake the rust off.

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Nick,

I love CBS but I am beginning to think he is system coach that was and is best at playing with less talented players.   Other teams seem to have figured out a lot of gimmicks.   I also don't think he has clue on how to play classical big man.   He only wants guys to who fit the system.    Robert Williams has way more physical talent than our present bigs.   He is a rookie and does not know anything but he could at least protect the rim.   He also plays with energy, and I feel he would be better on our bench than Brad Wanamaker.  The boy wonder coach has become a boy.  He needs to reflect on what he can do differently.   Maybe realize that other teams are adapting to the small ball only mantra.

Some of this is on the players too, the desperate effort we saw last playoffs from a galvanized team is not there.    Our shot selection is poor and they are not making shots.  We turn the ball over way to much and do not protect our possessions.  They need to reflect on what did not do in the off season and also their physical toughness.

It seems to me that they are going through the motions and expecting to win off their hype.   This is on both CBS and the players.  People are looking for a scapegoat but there is plenty of blame to go around.  We have big targets on our back this year and we are every's team chance to show they can beat a contender.

I will be here win or lose.  This is still my team.   I am not discouraged but I am a bit disappointed.   I still think we can right the ship.  I think Hayward is showing signs or improvement here and there.   Kyrie is back but HE CAN"T DO IT ALONE.................  It is not all gloom and doom and I still look forward to each game as the start of a streak.

Blaming Coach Stevens for anything is ridiculous.

This team is too talented to be playing so badly.

It's ALL on the players!

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2018, 06:53:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A coach's job is to motivate players and put them position to win, where they can execute their talents to create winning plays and buckets.  The players are not making shots, but CBS has not exactly did things to turn it around and sticking to the same old ball and quite frankly it is not working very well.

I think the blame is 70% on the players, 30% on the coach.  I am not calling for his head, but if something is not working part of it is on the coach to adapt.