Author Topic: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?  (Read 28087 times)

Re: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 05:51:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
At least to me, its tough to give the benefit of the doubt here to some absolutely hammered twenty & early thirty something males in the wee hours of the morning. 

As someone who has been involved in plenty of "drunken" episodes in my younger days, I can totally see these guys coming in to that gas station all hammered and making a scene and p---ing all over the place and getting in an altercation with a security guard.  Just acting like complete a holes.   The guard pulling his gun might seem a bit extreme to most of us but we're also talking about a foreign country that, unfortunately, has a fair share of problems involving violent crimes.  Add in a probable communication problem and you have a recipe for this type of altercation.

If these guys were as blitzed as it sounds like, I'm guessing the recall of the event is pretty p*ss poor on their end even if a gun was pulled on them.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
They made it up because they were ashamed of the gas station incident
Pretty dumb move for anyone to break down someones door

True Brazil has a problem
But it doesn't help that these people are trying incite more fear by making up a robbery not to mention wasting the police's time and effort

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Lochte was really a creep to leave these guys to take the heat.

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 08:17:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Saw this interview from a couple years ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnceMoPtVfE

Guy seems like a dolt.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lochte was really a creep to leave these guys to take the heat.
He left when he was always scheduled to leave. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 09:19:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Whoever came up with the Swim Shady moniker is an absolute genius.

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 10:44:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
 Lochte's statement

“I want to apologize for my behavior last weekend — for not being more careful and candid in how I described the events of that early morning and for my role in taking the focus away from the many athletes fulfilling their dreams of participating in the Olympics. I waited to share these thoughts until it was confirmed that the legal situation was addressed and it was clear that my teammates would be arriving home safely.

It’s traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country – with a language barrier – and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave, but regardless of the behavior of anyone else that night, I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that I am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors, and the hosts of this great event. I am very proud to represent my country in Olympic competition and this was a situation that could and should have been avoided. I accept responsibility for my role in this happening and have learned some valuable lessons.

I am grateful for my USA Swimming teammates and the USOC, and appreciate all of the efforts of the IOC, the Rio ’16 Host Committee, and the people of Brazil who welcomed us to Rio and worked so hard to make sure that these Olympic Games provided a lifetime of great new memories. There has already been too much said and too many valuable resources dedicated to what happened last weekend, so I hope we spend our time celebrating the great stories and performances of these Games and look ahead to celebrating future successes.”

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Lochte's statement

“I want to apologize for my behavior last weekend — for not being more careful and candid in how I described the events of that early morning and for my role in taking the focus away from the many athletes fulfilling their dreams of participating in the Olympics. I waited to share these thoughts until it was confirmed that the legal situation was addressed and it was clear that my teammates would be arriving home safely.

It’s traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country – with a language barrier – and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave, but regardless of the behavior of anyone else that night, I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that I am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors, and the hosts of this great event. I am very proud to represent my country in Olympic competition and this was a situation that could and should have been avoided. I accept responsibility for my role in this happening and have learned some valuable lessons.

I am grateful for my USA Swimming teammates and the USOC, and appreciate all of the efforts of the IOC, the Rio ’16 Host Committee, and the people of Brazil who welcomed us to Rio and worked so hard to make sure that these Olympic Games provided a lifetime of great new memories. There has already been too much said and too many valuable resources dedicated to what happened last weekend, so I hope we spend our time celebrating the great stories and performances of these Games and look ahead to celebrating future successes.”

Lawyer speak.  Expected.

Americans still participating have to deal with the fall out from this along with the competition...sad.

You can't fix stupid - Ron White.

Rak

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sure its super "traumatic" to get hammered and put yourself in stupid and easily avoidable situations.

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
It’s traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country – with a language barrier – and ...

It's not a new experience when you're a 32 year old athlete, who's always competed in an international sport and loves to party.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:49:09 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm sure its super "traumatic" to get hammered and put yourself in stupid and easily avoidable situations.
He was clearly talking about the gun being pointed at him.  After all it is in the that sentence. 

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
He was clearly talking about the gun being pointed at him.  After all it is in the that sentence.

You missed the gist of what I was getting at there.

Also, given Lochte's eloquence with the English language here & given his past hiccups, I don't think anything that comes from Lochte is "clear".

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Also, given Lochte's eloquence with the English language here & given his past hiccups, I don't think anything that comes from Lochte is "clear".
Don't get me wrong Lochte pulled the classic case of drunken Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.baggery.  He was clearly talking about the gun being pulled on him as the trauma though. 

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Don't get me wrong Lochte pulled the classic case of drunken ****baggery.  He was clearly talking about the gun being pulled on him as the trauma though.
really hard to feel bad for this guy and his 'trauma'.

if he didn't want a security guard pulling a gun on him, perhaps he shouldn't have vandalized the place then refused to pay for the damages.   

this is latin america travel 101.  when you are in the wrong, you pay the mordita and move on.

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Don't get me wrong Lochte pulled the classic case of drunken ****baggery.  He was clearly talking about the gun being pulled on him as the trauma though.
really hard to feel bad for this guy and his 'trauma'.

if he didn't want a security guard pulling a gun on him, perhaps he shouldn't have vandalized the place then refused to pay for the damages.   

this is latin america travel 101.  when you are in the wrong, you pay the mordita and move on.

TP

This quasi-apology makes him sound even worse. Own your mistakes like a man.