Poll

Are you in favor of this defensive philosophy?

Yes
21 (84%)
No
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: "Switching Everything"  (Read 4500 times)

"Switching Everything"
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Personally, I'm not a fan, as I believe that implementing this strategy can too easily be countered, creates too many mismatches with little to no effort, only further exacerbates our already pathetic rebounding performance, if that's even possible, and has also been heavily, and intelligently, exploited by Cleveland during every single one of our games against them over the last 2.5 seasons.  Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I full well recognize that the NBA is a copycat league and that said defensive strategy has worked in the past for the Showtime Lakers and Jordan's Bulls, albeit mostly during the latter's second three-peat with Harper, Jordan, and Pippen, with the Warriors being its latest success story, if you will, but I'm just curious to see as to where everyone comes down on this issue. 

Re: "Switching Everything"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:18:02 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
For us less than informed posters, would you please provide us with a quick over view of this tactic so we can respond better?

Thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:09:56 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
For us less than informed posters, would you please provide us with a quick over view of this tactic so we can respond better?

Thanks.

I thought that it was pretty self-explanatory?  Haven't you seen it during games and heard/seen references to "switchability"? ::) I know you pay attention and are always in game threads :laugh:.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:30:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think that unless you have a monster big man like AD or KAT, switching everything is the way it has to go in today's NBA.
Considering PnR's feature on tonnes of plays, not to mention constant off-ball screening, the ability to be able to switch and not lose a man through a pick is vital. The more the NBA moves towards PnR heavy offense (not sure how much further it could go), the more "switchability" becomes necessary.

I don't necessarily like it, but I think it is the way to go if we want to win, especially against GSW.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:43:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Firstly, the Celtics don't "switch everything."  They do switch a lot.  There are a few reasons teams in general, and the Celtics in particular, do this.

Firstly, as teams run progressively more actions to generate open 3-pointers, other defenses can easily be exploited.  Go under the screen and you give up an open 3.  Fight through it and you expose yourself to shooters stopping on a dime, pulling up, and drawing a shooting fouls behind the arc.  ICE is an option in some areas of the court, but it exposes you to pick-and-pop opportunities.  Hedging can work sometimes, so can showing, or zoning up.

But what matters is personnel.  Switching is good when you have a lot of versatile defenders.  That is what the Celtics had last year and also have this year.  Hedging is good if you've got a really mobile big.  They don't have that as much, as Horford isn't quite quick enough to relaibly do that in all matchups.  IT also probably made it more desirable.  If IT is guarding the ball handler, switching on the pick and roll will take him away from on-ball defense, which is optimal.

The Celtics have players built to switch on defense. And so they should consider to use it often.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:18 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Personally, I'm not a fan, as I believe that implementing this strategy can too easily be countered, creates too many mismatches with little to no effort, only further exacerbates our already pathetic rebounding performance, if that's even possible, and has also been heavily, and intelligently, exploited by Cleveland during every single one of our games against them over the last 2.5 seasons.  Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I full well recognize that the NBA is a copycat league and that said defensive strategy has worked in the past for the Showtime Lakers and Jordan's Bulls, albeit mostly during the latter's second three-peat with Harper, Jordan, and Pippen, with the Warriors being its latest success story, if you will, but I'm just curious to see as to where everyone comes down on this issue.

The Celtics do not switch everything, they had guys who fights over screens instead of switching, like marcus and ab. Well this is not surprising, seeing as this came from the guy who criticized PnR.  :'(

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:25:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Firstly, the Celtics don't "switch everything."  They do switch a lot.  There are a few reasons teams in general, and the Celtics in particular, do this.

Firstly, as teams run progressively more actions to generate open 3-pointers, other defenses can easily be exploited.  Go under the screen and you give up an open 3.  Fight through it and you expose yourself to shooters stopping on a dime, pulling up, and drawing shooting fouls behind the arc.  ICE is an option in some areas of the court, but it exposes you to pick-and-pop opportunities.  Hedging can work sometimes, so can showing, or zoning up.

But what matters is personnel.  Switching is good when you have a lot of versatile defenders.  That is what the Celtics had last year and also have this year.  Hedging is good if you've got a really mobile big.  They don't have that as much, as Horford isn't quite quick enough to reliably do that in all matchups.  IT also probably made it more desirable.  If IT is guarding the ball handler, switching on the pick and roll will take him away from the on-ball defense, which is optimal.

The Celtics have players built to switch on defense. And so they should consider to use it often.

I agree with the post.
One thing that becomes more evident as talent level increases (playoff advancement) is that the ability to defend 1 on 1 becomes more and more important, just as the 1-1 scoring also does.
We got better at both of the ends; we took out our worst ISO defender and we inserted one top3 ISO offense guy and a very good one in Hayward.
[/quote]
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you've got the personnel for it, it's pretty effective.  Golden State, for instance, doesn't have much of a problem.

In a world where Tatum and Brown develop, it should work fine here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
This is why versatility matters in this team. Brad and Danny knew that they will be forced to switch against teams, especially the Warriors. We've upgraded our roster with more versatility on the wing and swings.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Personally, I'm not a fan, as I believe that implementing this strategy can too easily be countered, creates too many mismatches with little to no effort, only further exacerbates our already pathetic rebounding performance, if that's even possible, and has also been heavily, and intelligently, exploited by Cleveland during every single one of our games against them over the last 2.5 seasons.

You have to have guys who stay in front of their man and are athletic for it to work best.  Sometimes those rebound matchups work in our favor too.   When our Center gets on a guard if gives him a better chance to outrebound him.

If you've got the personnel for it, it's pretty effective.  Golden State, for instance, doesn't have much of a problem.

Agree. TP

This is why versatility matters in this team. Brad and Danny knew that they will be forced to switch against teams, especially the Warriors. We've upgraded our roster with more versatility on the wing and swings.

Versatilty and length at positions really help.   We are more athletic this year.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I like my center to stay on his man so he can stay close to the basket for rim protection and defensive rebounding. A center should only switch late in the shot clock.

I do like switching 1 through 4 but that depends on the defensive versatility of those players. Need big guards and mobile forwards. Without that versatility, it hurts more than it helps.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Thanks.

I thought that it was pretty self-explanatory?  Haven't you seen it during games and heard/seen references to "switchability"? ::) I know you pay attention and are always in game threads :laugh:.
Thanks, but whil mimknow switchng, switching everything is not clear completely. That is whynimask d for more info.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:42 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Thanks.

Thanks, but whil mimknow switchng, switching everything is not clear completely. That is whynimask d for more info.

Bumpy train is my best guess  ;D

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It's a good counter to small ball lineups. Forces teams into less ball movement and more one on one situations which isn't always a recipe for success.  In the 3 ball era you can stay with 3 point shooters easier.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This is why you're seeing DA get guys who can defend multiple positions and are similar size or skill sets. Might be part of the reason of the IT trade. While Irving isn't a better defender, if you can get him to consistently he can guard 1's and 2's. Were most 2's just rise up over IT.

Guys who can guard 1's and 2's.- Irving,Smart,Rozier

Guys who can guard 2's and 3's. -Hayward,Smart,Brown,Nader(Tatum on bigger guards)

Guys' who can guard 3's and 4's.- Hayward,Smart,Brown,Tatum,Morris,Semi. Question on Yabu and Theis.

Guy's who can guard 4' and 5's.-Horford,Theis ,Baynes(Smart on Zinger,LOL)

But you can see more guys who can guard 2-4 more than ever now. Those are the active guys on the floor, so you need versatile defenders at the same time.