Author Topic: We Are Chasing the Wrong Buck  (Read 1520 times)

We Are Chasing the Wrong Buck
« on: June 24, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Instead of Brogdan, who will be overpriced, and is likely to be matched, why don't we just go after Mirotic?

Great 3 point shooter.  Good passer, would play very well in Brad's system.  Can you use him either off the bench, or to cover other similarly sized players, like Brook Lopez.  Fills a much bigger need for us. He has improved as a rebounder too. 

Thoughts?

Re: We Are Chasing the Wrong Buck
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If I were chasing a Bucks free agent, it would be Lopez or Middleton.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:36:53 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Mirotic will be a good addition if the Celts are contenders.

But right now it's looking like the Celts are a team in a quasi rebuild.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He's too streaky of a shooter for me to want to sign him to long term money as a role player. Especially given that we would have trouble creating open looks for him as the roster is currently constructed.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I like Lopez.  He is big and strong and can shoot the 3 now.  One thing the C’s lack is toughness.  One of their toughest guys are gone when Baynes left.  Lopez could fill that spot and be more productive. 

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like Lopez but he would likely have to be overpayed to join the Celtics at this point.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Middleton will be impossible to get, and would cost max contract, for a position we have much depth.

Lopez would be fine, although I worry our competition for him will be intense. I guess he makes better sense than Mirotic as a center. And has become elite stretch guy.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I've always liked Middleton and advocated trading for him a few years ago when that was a possible thing.

That said, I think at this point, we already have three very nice top quality wings in Hayward, Brown & Tatum.   We don't need yet more positional redundancy at that spot.   We can definitely field three of those guys at a time in a starting lineup.   But going 4-wings might be a bit of a stretch.

Lopez would fit -- we obviously have a need for a big man.

But I personally would like to try to steal Brogdon.   I think Brogdon is a near ideal match for what this roster and Brad's system calls for in a PG.  He's not at all ball-dominant, as he's worked very comfortably off-the-ball with Giannis as facilitator and so should be able to work fine in a lineup that featured Hayward as the primary playmaker.  Yet he is also comfortable and competent as the primary ball-handler.   The ability to move smoothly between both modes is what Rozier struggled with.  He's an incredible marksman who really commands attention on the floor even when off the ball.   And he is a good defender with plus size for a PG.

To me, a lineup of:   Brogdon+Jaylen+Gordon+Jayson+<quality big man> would be very, very effective on both ends of the floor.

This last year, the trio of "Jaylen+Gordon+Jayson" played a couple hundred minutes with non-Kyrie PG (i.e., Rozier or Smart) and non-Al C (mostly Theis and a little Baynes) and was incredibly effective.  Heck, the Rozier+3-wings+Theis lineup was over +19 Net Rating.

I would make an aggressive offer sheet for Brogdon that clearly would push MIL into the luxury tax should they try to match.   If they match it, fine.  At least you've made them pay through the nose.   And maybe that forces them to let go of one of their other FAs.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Would be a fun poll topic.

Why not take a run at Middleton?  He is currently better than any of the wings we now have including Tatum. 

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Mirotic and Vuv from Orlando would shore up the big man rotation.   And sneaky underrated.   

Smart or Terry /Rookie
Brown or Smart /Rookie
Tatum/Hayward/ Semi
Tatum/Mirotic/Yab /Rookie
Vuv/Willimas /Rookie
Diggles

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Mirotic and Vuv from Orlando would shore up the big man rotation.   And sneaky underrated.   

Smart or Terry /Rookie
Brown or Smart /Rookie
Tatum/Hayward/ Semi
Tatum/Mirotic/Yab /Rookie
Vuv/Willimas /Rookie

I doubt we will be able to sign both Mirotic and Vucevic, they will want too much money.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 02:37:51 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I’m not thrilled with the Langford pick but maybe he’ll prove me wrong.  Bad 3 pt shootyand questonable defense might limit his chances to get on the floor on a contendoteam with 3 good wings already.

I believe we only move brown if we get kat back in return.  For most part brown has outplayed Tatum especially in playoffs but brown has had one year head start.  Can Tatum now take over the offense with Kyrie and Horford gone?  No one left for him to defer to.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Middleton is the Buck I'd make a run at. Phenomenal player and would weaken our competition.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
I like Lopez but he would likely have to be overpayed to join the Celtics at this point.
Sad thing is they could have had him for next to nothing last summer.