Author Topic: Trade Irving for the sake of the team  (Read 55231 times)

Re: Trade Irving for the sake of the team
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2019, 12:39:01 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Trade Irving for Kuzma, Hart and 1st

This team as constructed cant beat the GSW.

Develop the "future" .... not put all eggs in one basket (Irving) and risk alienating several others

I'd rather trade Brown or Tatum for Anthony Davis. That future sounds much, much better to me.

Davis and Irving cant beat the GSW
It has an almost infinitely higher chance than the team you proposed. If Irving and Al nearly did tonight, then I'm pretty happy to go with Irving, AD and Al, plus GH and some young pieces

You cant have all you listed under one team

Nice try

Why not?

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

We'd lose some depth, but depth is overrated.

I don't see how playing Davis and Horford together will be successful.

Why wouldn't it be?  The large majority of teams still play with a PF and C on the floor at the same time.

I just don't have any hope in tying up half the team's salary cap in big men with today's NBA. After Horford's contract is up, he would probably take 30 million on a two year deal. But that will still be a 50 million a year obligation in essentially two centers.

First you said they can't play together (but they'd complement each other very well on both ends), now you're talking about salary. You're moving the goal posts.

I said playing them together would not be successful, which is true. Allocating half the team's salary cap to big men will fail.

It is?

You think allocating half the salary cap to big men will be successful?

« Reply #421 on: January 27, 2019, 12:41:04 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Develop the "future" .... not put all eggs in one basket (Irving) and risk alienating several others

I'd rather trade Brown or Tatum for Anthony Davis. That future sounds much, much better to me.

It has an almost infinitely higher chance than the team you proposed. If Irving and Al nearly did tonight, then I'm pretty happy to go with Irving, AD and Al, plus GH and some young pieces

Nice try

Why not?

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

Why wouldn't it be?  The large majority of teams still play with a PF and C on the floor at the same time.

I just don't have any hope in tying up half the team's salary cap in big men with today's NBA. After Horford's contract is up, he would probably take 30 million on a two year deal. But that will still be a 50 million a year obligation in essentially two centers.

First you said they can't play together (but they'd complement each other very well on both ends), now you're talking about salary. You're moving the goal posts.

I said playing them together would not be successful, which is true. Allocating half the team's salary cap to big men will fail.

It is?

I'm talking about your assertion that they can't play together. And Al's next contract will not be $30m annually, but keep moving those goalposts.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #422 on: January 27, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Nice try

Why not?

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

It is?

I'm talking about your assertion that they can't play together. And Al's next contract will not be $30m annually, but keep moving those goalposts.

So add Davis' max contract and add whatever you think Horford's next contract will be. Then subtract that number from the salary cap.

« Reply #423 on: January 27, 2019, 12:42:18 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
This thread still alive is it  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #424 on: January 27, 2019, 12:46:26 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Nice try

Why not?

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

It is?

So add Davis' max contract and add whatever you think Horford's next contract will be. Then subtract that number from the salary cap.

So you've realized you're "the can't play together" argument was faulty and punted, I see.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #425 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:32 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Nice try

Why not?

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

It is?

So you've realized you're "the can't play together" argument was faulty and punted, I see.

You can acknowledge and address the argument. If you're not going to, I'm done participating.

« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2019, 12:49:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Nice try

Why not?

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

It is?

Lol. There really is no point
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2019, 12:52:57 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Nice try

Why not?

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

It is?

Lol. There really is no point

Seriously man. It's sad.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
While I think Horford and Davis can play together, Al is getting old and doesn't have much left in the tank.  In a perfect world, he would be the salary going to New Orleans in the trade.  With his salary the trade could be enlarged to include Holiday (who I don't think New Orleans would really want to keep going forward)

So next summer I'd be good with something like this

Horford, Tatum, Smart, Yabu, and the 1st's

for

Davis, Holiday

So post trade for next year with the main rotation (maybe Rozier is brought back, maybe not)

PG - Irving, Holiday
SG - Holiday, Brown
SF - Hayward, Brown, Semi
PF - Morris, Davis, Theis
C - Davis, Baynes, Williams

I like that team even without Rozier.  Still have MLE to add some vets to the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2019, 09:27:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
While I think Horford and Davis can play together, Al is getting old and doesn't have much left in the tank.  In a perfect world, he would be the salary going to New Orleans in the trade.  With his salary the trade could be enlarged to include Holiday (who I don't think New Orleans would really want to keep going forward)

for

Davis, Holiday

So post trade for next year with the main rotation (maybe Rozier is brought back, maybe not)

PG - Irving, Holiday
SG - Holiday, Brown

I like that team even without Rozier.  Still have MLE to add some vets to the team.

Exactly

Horford contract needs to go out in order to bring in Davis

Or Irving

« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2019, 10:10:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

for

Davis, Holiday

PG - Irving, Holiday
SG - Holiday, Brown

Exactly

Or Irving

Yeah, well, it actually doesn’t.

ESPN has a neat little feature called “Trade Machine”, which I think you should look into. It’ll help you understand things a little better and should reduce the volume of ridiculous ideas posted.

« Reply #431 on: January 27, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

for

Davis, Holiday

PG - Irving, Holiday
SG - Holiday, Brown

Exactly

Or Irving

ESPN has a neat little feature called “Trade Machine”, which I think you should look into. It’ll help you understand things a little better and should reduce the volume of ridiculous ideas posted.

Good idea. I hope you're right!

« Reply #432 on: January 27, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

for

Davis, Holiday

PG - Irving, Holiday
SG - Holiday, Brown

Exactly

Or Irving

Your reply is ridiculous

Iam not trading Smart over Horford

Show us your smart machine trade proposal for Davis

« Reply #433 on: January 27, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

for

Davis, Holiday

PG - Irving, Holiday
SG - Holiday, Brown

Exactly

Or Irving
Horford's (or Irving) contract does not need to go out to acquire Davis, I just think it makes the most sense given his age.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #434 on: January 27, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My trade is Tatum, Smart, Williams and sign and trade the Sacramento and Boston pick too.

The salaries match and you get

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward(should be back to Utah Hayward by next year)
Horford(opts out re-signs a 4 year $60-66 million contract freeing up $13-15 million in roster salary)
Davis

Baynes
Ojeleye
Morris(re-signed to 4 year $13-15 million contract so Horford savings allows us to keep Morris
Tax payer MLE sign a guard.
LAC pick if it conveys
Vet mins fill out the roster

That roster wins championships. As Horford ages move him to bench and replace him with Morris.

Sorry, just saw this was locked.