Poll

When would you prefer the Celticsblog Draft to be held?

Early Aug (Aug 1-20)
Early Sept (Sep 1-20)
Either one is good for me

Author Topic: CB Draft 2016 interest thread: 30 teams set; Draft slots round TODAY @ 11am!  (Read 134209 times)

Re: 2016 CelticsBlog Draft interest thread(?)
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Depending on the dates of the draft.....I am in

Yeah... What are dates and times etc

I'm guessing:

Aug 1-12 for the draft
playoffs Aug 15-20?

1st 5 rounds = 10 min/pick, 1 round a day; next 9 rounds 5 min/pick, 2 rounds a day

(and the GC Yahoo! H2H league rookie draft the week of Aug. 22-26 for those affected...)
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »

Offline Young Nick

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 105
  • Also known as P Swaggy.
I am interested, but probably am out unless the start date is pushed back to late August or early September

if I can't join I'll just make fun of how bad airb is at these things
AB_Celtic's Pick 2 - Memphis Grizzlies
Proud GM of DKC Spurs. Rotation found here.

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2016, 09:25:37 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
I am interested, but probably am out unless the start date is pushed back to late August or early September

if I can't join I'll just make fun of how bad airb is at these things

A number of folks have suggested the timing may affect whether they were in or not.

Just added a poll to the front page. Please vote

Thanks!!!!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2016, 10:06:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I voted early August before I have to go back to work.

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2016, 04:31:20 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
This would be easy to commish if not for the trades.

I do have a suggestion though, and I will be willing to help with this if needed be. Just to make it easy for us. A little modifier that will not at all kill the essence of CB Draft.

TRADE PERIODS.

I saw how confusing and crazy processing the trades, so what if we have dedicated day/s of nothing but just trade submissions, processing and roster updating to make it less confusing.

Here's my idea, we will pick 12 players, right? So we'll have a trade period at the end of every 4 rounds. For four rounds, we can discuss trades if we want, but we can't send trade proposals to the commissioner's. We can only do so on Trade Periods, a dedicated day for it.

We'll have a trade period a day before we start drafting, so people who want to trade their first round picks can do so. 

Then another one after the 4th round.

Another one after the 8th round.

And one final one after we finish drafting, for people who aren't happy with their team and want to retool.

The trade periods will be open from 6AM to 5PM Eastern time (that should give us time to process the trades and go on with drafting the next day).

I could help out processing the trades as long as there's no other drafting activity happening. I don't think I can do real time trades and draft and stuff.

If everyone is willing, I propose this plan. I would be willing to help out in this kind of scenario. I could process the trades, update the picks moving and available for each GM's and update rosters.

I'm intrigued, Yoki. TP. I'd support trade periods, but to keep with the experience of Celtics Blog drafts past I'd suggest allowing for trades while draft picks are happening so long as they involve a pick that round. Trading up for a falling player or to jump ahead of a rival GM or trading back to avoid a tough choice are part of the fun.

I'd also suggest extending trade periods past 5PM for our GMs in other time zones.

• Rajon Rondo
I voted early August before I have to go back to work.

1. As of now it's 7-1 for August 1 isntead of Sep. 1 -- with 4 folks saying either is good.

2. All of y'all playing pretend GM over in the Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon thread (I know I was earlier...) should sign up and be a REAL pretend GM  ;D

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Count me as a vote in any timeslot.

Is that allowed? LOL.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I vote for August 1st. Edit: sorry , I thought for a moment this thread was about the H2H league draft.

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This would be easy to commish if not for the trades.

I do have a suggestion though, and I will be willing to help with this if needed be. Just to make it easy for us. A little modifier that will not at all kill the essence of CB Draft.

TRADE PERIODS.

I saw how confusing and crazy processing the trades, so what if we have dedicated day/s of nothing but just trade submissions, processing and roster updating to make it less confusing.

Here's my idea, we will pick 12 players, right? So we'll have a trade period at the end of every 4 rounds. For four rounds, we can discuss trades if we want, but we can't send trade proposals to the commissioner's. We can only do so on Trade Periods, a dedicated day for it.

We'll have a trade period a day before we start drafting, so people who want to trade their first round picks can do so. 

Then another one after the 4th round.

Another one after the 8th round.

And one final one after we finish drafting, for people who aren't happy with their team and want to retool.

The trade periods will be open from 6AM to 5PM Eastern time (that should give us time to process the trades and go on with drafting the next day).

I could help out processing the trades as long as there's no other drafting activity happening. I don't think I can do real time trades and draft and stuff.

If everyone is willing, I propose this plan. I would be willing to help out in this kind of scenario. I could process the trades, update the picks moving and available for each GM's and update rosters.

I'm intrigued, Yoki. TP. I'd support trade periods, but to keep with the experience of Celtics Blog drafts past I'd suggest allowing for trades while draft picks are happening so long as they involve a pick that round. Trading up for a falling player or to jump ahead of a rival GM or trading back to avoid a tough choice are part of the fun.

I'd also suggest extending trade periods past 5PM for our GMs in other time zones.

Oh yes, it is fun. That was the CB draft that i knew and got killed for so many times.

I just thought id present the idea just in case no one can act as commish. Im not sure i could handle hot trades on the fly, but with this, it gives me enough room to be able to process everything.

I want the old CB draft, this is just a compromise in case no one can run the trade situations.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: Celticsblog Draft 2016 Interest Thread (still looking for ~8-10 GMs)
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2016, 01:38:18 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Well, I'm not sure of all the details or how this works, but Max215 has talked me into it. I spend way too much time on here anyways, so I might as well do something productive while I'm here.

I also concur with (and voted for) the early August start date. My summer class that I'm teaching gets over then, and it'd be better for me to start before the fall semester starts up and I get pretty busy again.

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 04:34:26 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I am interested if there'd be a way to sync up the league with my phone for notifications and reminders, e.g., a trade's been proposed or needs votes, I'm about to be on the clock in the draft, one of my players is injured, lineups need to be finalized tomorrow, etc.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 11:50:16 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Well, I'm not sure of all the details or how this works, but Max215 has talked me into it. I spend way too much time on here anyways, so I might as well do something productive while I'm here.

I also concur with (and voted for) the early August start date. My summer class that I'm teaching gets over then, and it'd be better for me to start before the fall semester starts up and I get pretty busy again.

it's real easy.

It's a 30-team, 14-round draft where you have a team (say the Pelicans) and you build a team.

Lets say you have the #10 overall pick... and of the players still available (9 were already chosen) you think Isaiah Thomas is the best player (or the one you want the most), you pick him.

Or maybe you say "IT is the best player but i have him about equal to the next 10 guys" I'll post in the thread that the #10 pick is available.

Trades are discussed and consumated via PMs on Cblog. Some GMs never make a trade, some make 10+.... it's all based on how active you want to be.

Then with your next picks you try and build out a team based on the guys you've already picked... do you take a big guard to go with IT? A center next? trade the pick?

Draft times are assigned --  so if you're busy you can basically check in a few mins before your pick, see who's been taken and make your pick... like this:

With the 19th pick in 2nd round the NO Pelicans select

Acie Earl

The bold + red allows other GMs to quckly scan through the thread to see who's avail.

At the end you write a little press conf. describing your team, roles, why they're good,etc and the other GMs vote on which teams they think make the playoffs.

We'll probably do a slow round to choose teams, just to get people used to how it works...

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 11:57:26 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
I am interested if there'd be a way to sync up the league with my phone for notifications and reminders, e.g., a trade's been proposed or needs votes, I'm about to be on the clock in the draft, one of my players is injured, lineups need to be finalized tomorrow, etc.

a. each team's pick is due at a specific time. the teams before you can go early when they're up, but you always have until your time. For example:

picks will be listed like this (with the time being when your pick is due).

3. BOS - 11:30
4. PHI - 11:40
5. CHI - 11:50

Let's say we open the draft at 11, and the teams at 1 and 2 only take 5 mins each. So at 11:10 BOS is "on the clock". They now have 20 mins... if they only take 1 min, PHI is up at 11:11 but still has until 11:40. So you will never have LESS time than scheduled but you could have much more (this is to accomodate folks who can't be on the board constantly or have to pop in and out) and works very well.

It *is* everyone's responsiblity to read the board (in the first post of the draft thread) to see when their next pick is... you won't get reminders.

b. in your PROFILE / PRIVATE MESSAGING you can turn on a setting where you get a pop-up when you come to the forums if you have a PM (which is how other GMs will discuss trades with you).

c. There used to be there a setting that you could also get an email when you got a PM, but it doesn't work for me any more...

Hope those things help... it's all pretty simple... and if you just read through the old threads you should see how it works.

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
We're close... could use 5-6 more GMs.

YOU will regret not participating :o

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
::Checks to see if hell has frozen over yet::

Nope.   ;)

Available for advice, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team