Author Topic: Was Pitino really as bad as most of Celtic Nation claims?  (Read 16867 times)

Re: Was Pitino really as bad as most of Celtic Nation claims?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 03:07:00 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
I saw him a lot when he was a HC at Providence College and he was a great coach for an under-talented team. really changed the game with his emphasis on the 3 point line and on defense.

His problem in the NBA was as a GM.  You can recruit in college and every year is an opportunity to make a big, positive change.  The NBA doesn't work that way and if players didn't work out early, he was flipping them as if the following year he could make up for it.

he may be a good college coach, but he is a terrible pro coach.

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2012, 05:52:44 AM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I don't think too many are remembering how smug, condescending and egotistical he was.  Yes he was a bad coach & gm but he was simply tough to even watch or listen to for an interview.  But its the celtics power that be back then that gave him that much power (and why???)

someone has to post his last game when pierce came out and pitino was hugging paul or trying to, no love from paul at all
tp to person who can find it and post it!

Great point, TP.  Pitino was not just a horrible GM, he was (is) a bad guy.  One of things that I like about this team is that I genuinely like Doc.  Now people may say, "you don't know these guys personally, how can you know if Pitino or Doc are nice guys or not?"...but I disagree with that, for the reason that you alluded to.  You can definetely watch the way coaches/GMs comport themselves and determine to some degree what their personality is.

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:14 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't think too many are remembering how smug, condescending and egotistical he was.  Yes he was a bad coach & gm but he was simply tough to even watch or listen to for an interview.  But its the celtics power that be back then that gave him that much power (and why???)

someone has to post his last game when pierce came out and pitino was hugging paul or trying to, no love from paul at all
tp to person who can find it and post it!

Great point, TP.  Pitino was not just a horrible GM, he was (is) a bad guy.  One of things that I like about this team is that I genuinely like Doc.  Now people may say, "you don't know these guys personally, how can you know if Pitino or Doc are nice guys or not?"...but I disagree with that, for the reason that you alluded to.  You can definetely watch the way coaches/GMs comport themselves and determine to some degree what their personality is.

thanks for the tp but someone still has to find the video of pitino's last game trying to hug pierce