Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 397185 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2685 on: August 10, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Dame Lillard is the NEW Truth.

Paul Pierce will have to share his nickname for a minute.

Look - if LAL gets PORT first round that is a potential BUZZ SAW for them...

Carmelo Anthony is SLIMMED down and CONTINUING his improved play....a playoff matchup against LAL and his friend LeBron will be HUGE for Melo.

Nurkic is a RUGGED and talented Big....Zach Collins adds size up front as well.

Top it all off was Dame giving shade to Paul George and Pat Beverly this weekend after they teased him about missing those FTs......dude played it off perfectly and I loved his response to those two.

Don't sleep on PORT, LAL....

I just don't see Portland as a true threat to the Lakers.  Their improved play in the bubble is the difference between getting swept and pushing the Lakers to 6 games (at most).  Dame is a monster and healthy Nurkic is a huge upgrade but that's where it ends for me.

Melo deserves lots of credit for his conditioning.  Unfortunately, it hasn't changed the fact that he's an attrocious defensive player.  Portland can't get stops when it counts, which puts all the pressure on Lilliard to play out of his mind on a nightly basis.

The Lakers can win any style of game and will have the two best players in a potential playoff matchup.  More often than not I trust the Lakers in the final minutes of a close game.  They can execute on both ends of the court.   

The Blazers with Nurkic and Collins both back can beat this current Lakers squad. The Lakers should be favored of course, but it won't be easy for them. Losing Bradley will hurt them a lot. They will have a hard time containing Lillard and McCollum.

A front court of Melo, Nurkic and Collins is also a lot for the Lakers to deal with. Sure they have AD, but Lebron is old, and after those two guys they have practically nothing but a washed up group of disgruntled vets who are borderline out of the league and a handful of guys who are good 9-10th guys on a roster.

Agree with all of this.

People sleeping on Portland....

I get that LAL is a favorite to win it all but they are NOT invulnerable - see BOS's effort against them TWICE this year.

Talented and hungry teams do not back down from LA.

The Lakers are absolutely vulnerable but the Blazers just aren't the answer.  They don't have a single player who can impact the game at an elite level on both ends of the court.  LeBron might be showing some age on defense but he can still come up with game changing plays when it really counts.  Anthony Davis is also the 2nd best player in the series.  It was only two years ago that a Blazers squad featuring Dame, CJ, and Nurkic got swept by the New Orleans Pelicans.  That Pelicans squad was lead by AD, Rondo, and Jrue Holiday and their bench was terrible.  It's obviously not apples to apples (Nurkic is way better now) but Portland has way too many holes to be considered a true contender.   

Do you guys think LeBron is no longer capable of playing at the same level as the 2018 playoffs?  Don't forget that he carried a terrible Cavs squad to the Finals.  To put things in perspective, Kevin Love was his only teammate to average over 10 PPG in the playoffs. 

Despite the Lakers being full of past their prime veterans, LeBron has single handedly carried much worse teams deep into the playoffs.

« Reply #2686 on: August 10, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Carmelo Anthony is SLIMMED down and CONTINUING his improved play....a playoff matchup against LAL and his friend LeBron will be HUGE for Melo.

Top it all off was Dame giving shade to Paul George and Pat Beverly this weekend after they teased him about missing those FTs......dude played it off perfectly and I loved his response to those two.

I just don't see Portland as a true threat to the Lakers.  Their improved play in the bubble is the difference between getting swept and pushing the Lakers to 6 games (at most).  Dame is a monster and healthy Nurkic is a huge upgrade but that's where it ends for me.

Melo deserves lots of credit for his conditioning.  Unfortunately, it hasn't changed the fact that he's an attrocious defensive player.  Portland can't get stops when it counts, which puts all the pressure on Lilliard to play out of his mind on a nightly basis.

The Lakers can win any style of game and will have the two best players in a potential playoff matchup.  More often than not I trust the Lakers in the final minutes of a close game.  They can execute on both ends of the court.   

The Blazers with Nurkic and Collins both back can beat this current Lakers squad. The Lakers should be favored of course, but it won't be easy for them. Losing Bradley will hurt them a lot. They will have a hard time containing Lillard and McCollum.

A front court of Melo, Nurkic and Collins is also a lot for the Lakers to deal with. Sure they have AD, but Lebron is old, and after those two guys they have practically nothing but a washed up group of disgruntled vets who are borderline out of the league and a handful of guys who are good 9-10th guys on a roster.

The Lakers will get Bradley and Rondo back by playoffs time or at least on minute restriction though. Alex Caruso going to put up ridiculous numbers out of nowhere and Kyle Kuzma is the wild card.
Rondo will, but AB won't. He's out out.

Also, what? Caruso sucks, despite the meme. Shooting 33% from the field and a whopping 15% from 3 in the bubble. Kuzma also sucks. He was getting open looks from 3 to begin, but in the last two games he's gone 2/9 from 3. You've been overrating the Lakers all season and you're continuing to in this post
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2687 on: August 10, 2020, 07:02:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Agree with all of this.

I get that LAL is a favorite to win it all but they are NOT invulnerable - see BOS's effort against them TWICE this year.

The Lakers are absolutely vulnerable but the Blazers just aren't the answer.  They don't have a single player who can impact the game at an elite level on both ends of the court.  LeBron might be showing some age on defense but he can still come up with game changing plays when it really counts.  Anthony Davis is also the 2nd best player in the series.  It was only two years ago that a Blazers squad featuring Dame, CJ, and Nurkic got swept by the New Orleans Pelicans.  That Pelicans squad was lead by AD, Rondo, and Jrue Holiday and their bench was terrible.  It's obviously not apples to apples (Nurkic is way better now) but Portland has way too many holes to be considered a true contender.   

Do you guys think LeBron is no longer capable of playing at the same level as the 2018 playoffs?  Don't forget that he carried a terrible Cavs squad to the Finals.  To put things in perspective, Kevin Love was his only teammate to average over 10 PPG in the playoffs. 

Despite the Lakers being full of past their prime veterans, LeBron has single handedly carried much worse teams deep into the playoffs.

I think your forgetting two very important points here:

1. Lebron is in the Western Conference now. Lebron carried those teams to the finals in a perennially weak Eastern Conference

2. Lebron's old now. Lebron from 3 years ago would have been a totally different story

Nobody is calling the Blazers legit contenders. Just saying that they can beat the Lakers. Plenty of contenders have struggled and even lost to lower seeds in the playoffs before. I just don't really view the Lakers as legit contenders either.

I'm still scratching my head about your comment about Caruso putting up crazy numbers. He's at best a 10th man on a legit contender.

And as gouki88 said, Avery Bradley is not walking through that door for the Lakers this postseason.

« Reply #2688 on: August 10, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Agree with all of this.

1. Lebron is in the Western Conference now. Lebron carried those teams to the finals in a perennially weak Eastern Conference

2. Lebron's old now. Lebron from 3 years ago would have been a totally different story

Nobody is calling the Blazers legit contenders. Just saying that they can beat the Lakers. Plenty of contenders have struggled and even lost to lower seeds in the playoffs before. I just don't really view the Lakers as legit contenders either.

I'm still scratching my head about your comment about Caruso putting up crazy numbers. He's at best a 10th man on a legit contender.

And as gouki88 said, Avery Bradley is not walking through that door for the Lakers this postseason.
Yeah, I have no faith in LBJ's ability to completely carry a team anymore. He is a far-cry from Miami or Cleveland Bron nowadays. He can't play as much nor carry as heavy an offensive load, his defence is weak (got a good cover in AD), and he's never had as boneheaded a supporting cast as this one (Smith, Waiters, Morris, McGee). I have no faith in the Lakers.

Even if it's not Portland who knock em off (it probably won't be), I think someone will. Portland will push them, but I don't think they have the defensive players to stop the Lakers. But I think facing the Rockets in the 2nd round could be a very real problem for LA.

Also, maybe he meant Caruso's numbers were crazy bad, in which case he'd be right.

« Reply #2689 on: August 10, 2020, 07:13:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Agree with all of this.

lol yeah if you listen to JUST Laker fans Caruso is Godzilla.

Outside of LAL he is a baby lizard....a decent bench player but just that.

The myth called "The Caruso" continues......move over Bigfoot.

« Reply #2690 on: August 10, 2020, 07:28:05 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Agree with all of this.

I never made a comment about Caruso putting up crazy numbers. 

My post has more to do about a lack of faith in Portland than overwhelming belief in the Lakers.
 Portland has the ability to score in crazy spurts but it wont be enough to overcome their attrocious defense.     

The strength of the West wont become a problem for LA until they run into a team like Houston in the 2nd round.  The East was weak in 2018 but this Blazers team isn't better than the Pacers or Celtics from that same season.  LeBron scraped by both with a much worse supporting cast than the current Lakers squad.

« Reply #2691 on: August 10, 2020, 07:42:01 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
He Ballin tonight

Love to see him in Green!!

*sippin a lil bit*

« Reply #2692 on: August 10, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
I miss you too..

PERK!!!!

*sippn*

« Reply #2693 on: August 10, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Shaq..I Luv Ya

but ya last game in the Playoffs was painful to watch

I miss you!

*sippin*

« Reply #2694 on: August 10, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Eddie HOUSE

you got thru some Tuff Times bruh!!

I miss you

*sippin*

« Reply #2695 on: August 10, 2020, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
My Heart

The GOAT!!

miss you brotha!!

*sippin*

« Reply #2696 on: August 10, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Dino Radja!!

MY DUDE!!
for real

Miss ya!!

*sippin*

« Reply #2697 on: August 10, 2020, 08:25:45 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
My Heart

The GOAT!!

miss you brotha!!

*sippin*

Luv ur pics and Old School Luv (TP)....but I think Scal travels in that 2nd one. Moves his Front foot on the fake then his back foot goes first before the dribble. I could be wrong, ref blocking a clear view.

« Reply #2698 on: August 10, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
My Heart

The GOAT!!

miss you brotha!!

*sippin*

Luv ur pics and Old School Luv (TP)....but I think Scal travels in that 2nd one. Moves his Front foot on the fake then his back foot goes first before the dribble. I could be wrong, ref blocking a clear view.
Scal getting that superstar treatment ;D

« Reply #2699 on: August 10, 2020, 08:36:54 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
My Heart

The GOAT!!

miss you brotha!!

*sippin*

He did Travel

looked like he was running a race...LOL

TP!

*sippin*