Poll

Who Would you rather draft at 3 and why?

Jaylen Brown
22 (17.1%)
Dragan Bender
65 (50.4%)
Buddy Hield
14 (10.9%)
Kris Dunn
11 (8.5%)
Jamal Murray
17 (13.2%)
Marquese Chriss
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: If we pick at 3, who you taking and why? Brown/Bender/Hield/Dunn/Murray  (Read 19778 times)

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Chriss looks great in mix tapes, much like Brown. 

I don't see the appeal of either at #3.

Neither do I, Just watched Ainge's press conference on his and Steven's extention, he called Jaylen Brown's workout "excellent" but was deliberately vague and praised Bender as well.

Smoke screen City
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:46:41 AM by Rida »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
Seems to be a lot of Smoke that the Celtics aren't that high on Bender that would seem to be the case

Here are the latest Mocks and who they have us picking at #3

Draft Express

Marquese Chriss

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/ -

ESPN

Dunn

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/15856488/chad-ford-nba-mock-draft-80-celtics-suns-wolves-shake-top-10-sixers-lakers

NBA Draft.net

Hield

http://www.nbadraft.net/

SI

Bender
Chriss at 4 to Phoenix

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/03/nba-mock-draft-76ers-lakers-celtics-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-

Hoopshype

Hield

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
New Draft Express Video for Bender.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Dragan-Bender-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-5531

I don't know, the more I study this guy the more nervous he makes me. He's either going to be a hell of a player or out the league in 3 seasons.

Porzingis was much less of an unknown than Bender as he was getting much more consistent minutes.

I think the 3rd pick is too risky for Bender

I'm sticking with Jaylen Brown I am a little surprised that Bender has 60% of the vote

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I do not want a PG. That is the main thing. PGs are a dime a dozen in the NBA these days. The league is overflowing with them. Unless we are looking at a guy who can dominate the league scoring, I'm not interested. Sure, it would be great to pick up a Chris Paul in the draft. But if we are going to take a chance, I'd prefer it isn't at PG, were we have IT and our first picks from the last 2 drafts.

But I trust management to get someone who makes sense.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Admittedly I have gone back and forth on Bender, but today I want to take him at 3.  He is the perfect future 3/4/5 player in the modern NBA, at both ends.  Versatility reigns in the game today. Kind of reminds me of how the Pats analyze guys in the draft the last few years.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
That's a young exciting team with Bender on it.  Brown also does a lot for this team I think.  It's still a tough call. This poll is overwhelmingly in Bender's favor though.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If I'm forced to pick at 3, I bite the bullet and draft Hield. Give Bradley and Smart some small ball minutes at SF and Rozier is the odd man out when everyone is 100% healthy. It's a shooters league and the Celtics want to keep sending the message they want to win now. You're drafting the best shooter in the draft, great locker room fit, and willing to play defense. It also lessens the chance we overpay to bring back Turner.

Bender? Don't have two years to wait. That's a project for a 20 win team.
Dunn? Much poorer roster fit needs the ball and poor outside shooter.
Murray? Hard to play him at all alongside IT.
Brown? What does he do that Smart or Crowder don't if the offense isn't there?
Chriss? Too high. Gamble on him late lottery if you like him.

Ideally you find a way to trade back a couple spots for Hield and get another asset to move up from #16, but either way Hield is my guy.

IT/ Hield/ Bradley backcourt could be lethal for stretches. No way to collapse on IT with Bradley and Hield stretching the floor.

IT / Bradley / Smart / Hield / Crowder at 1-3 spots with maybe another longer "3" in the offseason.

Then we go big man shopping to upgrade KO/ Sully/ Amir/ Jerebko
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:34:07 PM by byennie »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That's a young exciting team with Bender on it.

Bender did not excite in Israel how will he perform in the NBA if he can't over there?

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Murray is my first choice, Bender is my second.  Although technically, my real first choice is sending it to Chicago with Bradley for Butler.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
That's a young exciting team with Bender on it.

Bender did not excite in Israel how will he perform in the NBA if he can't over there?

His NBA team will have a reason to develop him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Brown is a stud at the wing.  Best athlete in the draft. 

Bender is a total waste and will be the biggest bust in the draft!
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Hield for me.

I believe that Simmons is the clear cut top talent in this draft in terms of potential.  With a talent set as unique as his, I'd be very surprised if he becomes anything less then a superstar I'm thinking Blake Griffin caliber talent).

After Simmons I think Ingram, Dunn and Hield have the next highest ceilings.  I think those three guys will be All-Stars or fringe All-Stars, and have an outside chance at becoming superstars.

After that I think it's Murray, Brown, Bender.  I think those guys will be good starters who have a decent shot at becoming All-Stars.

Ingram will be off the board when we choose, so that leaves Dunn and Hield as the two guys I see as 'superstar possibles'.  Out of those two I choose Hield because his shooting fills a need for us, while Dunn could be used is a little redundant.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:22:39 PM by crimson_stallion »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I voted for Bender. 

I feel like he is a "where there's smoke, there's fire" scenario.  More people seem to be coming out and talking abuot how unique a talent he is.  High IQ, defensive versatility, passing ability, outside shooting.  I also like what I have read from Bender directly.  He has talked about how he is focused on the fundamentals and knows that when he comes to America he will have access to weight rooms and team doctors/staff that will help him bulk up.  Seems like he is really dedicated.

He also fills a position of need in the modern NBA, and the Celtics could use a high upside wing or big man.  The final piece I read recently stated that Bender has a body that should be able to add weight over time.  I've seen people compare his body build to Pau Gasol when he came into the league.  If we could draft someone who could have the impact that Gasol has had in his career with the third pick, I would be all over that. 

Ultimately, I trust Danny, Brad, and company as they see more than any of us and have been around the game more, especially Danny.

Bender would be my pick, but I could see Danny taking Brown as he has very high upside, especially on the defensive end, and fills a position of need for us as well.  I could live with it, but I would prefer Bender.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If I'm forced to pick at 3, I bite the bullet and draft Hield. Give Bradley and Smart some small ball minutes at SF and Rozier is the odd man out when everyone is 100% healthy. It's a shooters league and the Celtics want to keep sending the message they want to win now. You're drafting the best shooter in the draft, great locker room fit, and willing to play defense. It also lessens the chance we overpay to bring back Turner.

Bender? Don't have two years to wait. That's a project for a 20 win team.
Dunn? Much poorer roster fit needs the ball and poor outside shooter.
Murray? Hard to play him at all alongside IT.
Brown? What does he do that Smart or Crowder don't if the offense isn't there?
Chriss? Too high. Gamble on him late lottery if you like him.

Ideally you find a way to trade back a couple spots for Hield and get another asset to move up from #16, but either way Hield is my guy.

IT/ Hield/ Bradley backcourt could be lethal for stretches. No way to collapse on IT with Bradley and Hield stretching the floor.

IT / Bradley / Smart / Hield / Crowder at 1-3 spots with maybe another longer "3" in the offseason.

Then we go big man shopping to upgrade KO/ Sully/ Amir/ Jerebko
Much too shortsighted perspective.  You don't have two years to wait?  Who cares, you don't pass up a potential star (not saying bender is) because you have to wait.  Dunn or howls dont fit?  Who cares, you lick better players in this league regardless.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
New Draft Express Video for Bender.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Dragan-Bender-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-5531

I don't know, the more I study this guy the more nervous he makes me. He's either going to be a hell of a player or out the league in 3 seasons.

Porzingis was much less of an unknown than Bender as he was getting much more consistent minutes.

I think the 3rd pick is too risky for Bender

I'm sticking with Jaylen Brown I am a little surprised that Bender has 60% of the vote

That wing D is super enticing. Really nice lateral mover. I'm flip-flopping hard on Bender now... I still say take Hield for his immediate shooting, but Bender's skills and athleticism are clearly going to be elite one day - probably after Durant signs a long term deal somewhere though...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.